• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Just took the Wear & Carry Permit class at Freestate this weekend with instructor Josh Poindexter, who was great.

One thing that came up was with all the cell phone spam these days, were references not answering their phones when called by MSP. After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.

Is that the sequence ?

Any other advice for a business owner of a lighting contracting company ?

Does it matter how long its been in business as long (ie. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?

Thanks

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Just took the Wear & Carry Permit class at Freestate this weekend with instructor Josh Poindexter, who was great.

One thing that came up was with all the cell phone spam these days, were references not answering their phones when called by MSP. After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.

Is that the sequence ?

Does it matter how long it's been in business (i.e.. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?

Thanks

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.

That's the usual pattern. In my day, sonny, we had face to face meetings with the investigator, and then they called the spouse and other references, usually that day or shortly after.

Just have your business in good standing with the state, and make sure your representation of its structure matches reality, and you're all set.

Does it matter how long its been in business as long (ie. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?

It's a lot less of an issue, now. That the company exists, is in good standing, and that you're the owner or a member/partner of the LLC, should be all it takes. The number of banking transactions won't be very critical, just enough to show that you didn't form a completely idle LLC for theatrical purposes.

Good luck!

Sep 9, 2020

Is that the sequence ?

Thanks

Based on my recent experience NO - MSP does not always contact the applicant first. I have not yet been contacted, but 2 of my references were called this past friday.

milwriter

Oct 21, 2013
    Bethesda
    New Permit Approved: Here's how it went

First off, this thread is an AWESOME reference...very helpful posts from active posters. So to all of you, thanks a ton for your input.

I hope this is helpful since things have clearly changed a lot and some of the info on this thread is maybe a bit scattered.

I am an FFL and have been for 6 years. I do not sell firearms, I am an FFL under an exemption from the "kitchen FFL" restrictions that allows me to be a licensee for test and evaluation purposes. I've worked for several firearms publishers and regularly review and write/video about the firearms then send them back. This allows me to receive firearms at home without having to pay another FFL transfer fees (but a big thanks to Any Raymond at Engage who early on helped me out and waived the fees!)...

I felt at extreme risk when transporting firearms as part of my review work to and from the ranges or areas I was doing evaluations. A year or so ago I took a MD certified CCP class but still hadn't put in the paperwork for the HGP.

Fast forward to April 2020 and I was laid off from my employer and started an LLC to do similar evaluation work and contract to individual companies within the firearms industry. With an LLC in hand in good standing, I decided what the heck, I'd finally give an HGP application a try.

I submitted my application on 10/24/2020
    I submitted some scanned pages of my FFL A&D book showing firearms in-and-out
    I submitted my IRS EIN information for my LLC
    I submitted a copy of my FFL and SOT license
    I submitted a bank statement showing ATM deposits to the LLC account

I also just wrote a letter laying this all out. I couldn't find any template or anything and just made it lawyerly and to the point.

Application was accepted on 11/4/2020

Application was assigned to an investigator 12/10/2020

At that point, at least 2 of my 3 references were contacted. Be careful with this because these days, most folks ignore calls from numbers they think are telemarketers and sometimes don't even listen to the messages bcs they know they're spam. So my advice is to remind your references to expect a call -- even from an out of state area code since sometimes the calls come from the investigator's personal cell #.

I was contacted shortly after 12/10 via phone for my interview.

I read all the advice on this thread and was super nervous not to screw it up...and funny thing, I almost did.

The lady was super nice and respectful. The interview was short. The questions she asked included:

What is your business name
    Are you on any medication
    Any arrests or law enforcement actions against you
    Do you drink, how many per day (I answered 2 beers a night)
    When is the last time you did any illegal drugs (I answered probably 1990 -- that was college)

But this is where I screwed up and thought I'd put my HGP at risk -- but was SAVED by the investigator.

Because I had applied mainly due to feeling risk in transported regulated firearms and ammunition as part of my work, and because I don't do a ton of high cash banking transactions (maybe 3 check deposits per month), when she asked me about my business I tried to ad lib and emphasize that "it's mainly about transporting firearms and not that I'm taking bags of cash to the ATM at 2am..."

She stopped me immediately and said "OK, hold on there. Let's not go down a road we don't want to go down. Do you have a business in good standing?" And I said "yes" and she said "OK, I can check that box"...

She did not ask me specifics about my business. She did not ask me what I would carry. She did not ask me any specifics about feeling at risk or my G&S.

She ended the call saying I'd hear something by Feb. 4 or so.

On Jan. 30 I received an email from MSP directing me to the licensing portal. I checked and my application had been approved with NO RESTRICTIONS.

SO, DO NOT ad lib. Bottom line seems that if you have a business in good standing -- even if it's less than a year old and you don't make a ton of deposits -- you will get your permit. Just stick to that and don't "add context" unless asked.

10/24/2020 - Application Submitted
    11/4/2020 - Application Accepted
    12/10/2020 - Application Assigned to Investigator
    12/12-14/2020 - References contacted
    12/14/2020 - Interview with investigator
    1/30/2021 - Application Approved

Hope this helps anyone who's looking for a specific example in a kind of unique situation who might be putting it off. If you have a business, apply. It seems to me they're streamlining the process and are more inclined to accept than reject. But that's one man's experience.

Good luck!

MDShooter20850

May 3, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Great information! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I hope to take the plunge and apply at some point myself, and this write-up helps me understand what I could be expecting, especially in terms of timeline, and sequence of events. I''m sure every application may vary a bit, but if you're correct and MSP is "streamlining" the process, perhaps an improved standard may soon be available. Fingers crossed!

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    They have until 02/09 to make a decision about my permit, but none of my references have been contacted yet. Is that something I should worry about? I applied under the clearance reason, so maybe they don't call refetences when you select that reason?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They have until 02/09 to make a decision about my permit, but none of my references have been contacted yet. Is that something I should worry about? I applied under the clearance reason, so maybe they don't call refetences when you select that reason?

Don't sweat it until its past due. They don't move any faster than required by law.

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    12/12/2020: Submitted Application
    12/19/2020: Application Accepted
    1/18/2021: Reassigned to an Investigator
    1/29/2021: Interview by Investigator, all references were already interviewed

Currently waiting on word off my application final status!!:party29:

Sep 9, 2020
    My application is for Business Owner. I submitted with 3 months of bank statements from my business account.

12/21/2020 APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED FOR REVIEW - PENDING
    01/01/2021 I mailed the $75 check out
    01/08/2021 APPLICATION ACCEPTED (guessing this means my payment accepted)
    01/09/2021 I contacted my references and remind them to expect a call from MSP
    01/28/2021 APPLICATION HAS BEEN REASSIGNED TO A NEW INVESTIGATOR. (his initials CD)
    01/29/2021 2 of my references contact me and were phone interviwed by CD
    01/31/2021 APPLICATION HAS BEEN REASSIGNED TO A NEW INVESTIGATOR. (her initials CB)
    02/01/2021 APPLICATION HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO AN INVESTIGATOR (her initials CB)
    02/04/2021 Email from CB with a "Applicant Truthfulness Statement" and asking for additional documentation: 6 recent deposit slips + 10 recent receipts/invoices
    02/07/2021 I emailed the 6 deposits + 10 receipts to CB
    02/11/2021 Phone call from CB, interview, without any specific heads up (caller ID said it was from Glen Burnie).

The phone interview was nothing more than a rehash of the application questions. CB was very polite. She said if I give her the invoices, she will recommend that I get approved, but they will take the full 90 days regardless,

Note that my references were contacted BEFORE me.
    Also note only 2 of my 3 were ever contacted.
    Also note CB asked specifically for more documentation than should have been necessary. The portal says "bank statements AND/OR receipts or invoices" and CB wanted all of these. It was easy enough for me to just give her what she asked for, versus try to convince her that it is not "required".

edit to add: also note they dd not call my wife (at least not yet)

Last edited:

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Has anyone dropped their payment off in person in the covid era? I know their lobby is closed, but do they have a mailbox where the payment can be dropped off?

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Well, I got the MSP email today notifying me "The review of your Handun Permit application has been completed by Maryland State Police, Licensing Division." Blah, blah, review status at Licesning Portal. Log into portal, new message: "APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED."

While I'm pleased to receive it, it's a complete farce. My business ownership status makes me a preferred customer for this state. Ridiculous.

For those curious, my application was received status as of 11/23 with approval received today 02/17. I'm happy to answer any questions. Feel free to PM me.

zwilliams0408

Feb 19, 2021
    so just to confirm with the deposits requirement, theyre asking for proof of deposits and not the actual bank statements for the 3 months?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    so just to confirm with the deposits requirement, theyre asking for proof of deposits and not the actual bank statements for the 3 months?

I just put half a dozen deposit receipts (in my case, usually ATM thermal print out receipts) on a scanner and make one document showing them. Done.

aprosams

MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2015
    I just finished the Wear & Carry Permit class and bring to apply. Thank you all mdshooters for sharing your experience.

zwilliams0408

Feb 19, 2021
    I just put half a dozen deposit receipts (in my case, usually ATM thermal print out receipts) on a scanner and make one document showing them. Done.
    perfect thanks. my pnc account for my LLC emails me the deposit receipts so even easier for me to upload when I go to apply

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Confirming Occam's approach, I also had ATM deposit slips that I had printed. I included them along with 3 months of bank statements. NOTE: The bank statements do not have to be consecutive months. I bill quarterly, so there's not a lot of deposit activity every month. I was able to include the months that had the activity.

Also FWIW, my wife was never called which I found interesting. And only 2 of my references were called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom