Thread: WTB Deer Rifle
View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:41 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
Think of the "youth rifle" not as being of kid quality, but rather as a designation of being about a rifle with a shorter length of pull. They tend to run in the 12.5" to 12.75" range, which will represent a much better stock fit for your 5 foot tall lady.

Another member asked a question about how your lady handled 12 ga recoil. That's a very relevant question IMO with regard to chambering choices. If she handles for example, light target load 12 ga recoil ok, that in my mind would open up the option of cartridges a tad heavier than .243 Winchester. .243 is definitely adequate for deer with correct shot placement. But were it me, and with an eye toward her maybe having and handling the recoil of a cartridge with "more thump and now PLENTY adequate" but "still not too uncomfortable" to shoot in a smaller sporter weight rifle, I'd personally rather see a deer hunter with a 6.5 Creedmoor, or a 7mm-08 Remington.

A starter rifle for your gal might be Savage Axis ll Compact, or a Remington 700 youth. I believe Howa makes a youth model as well, and that would be worth a look also. As a side note, Savage is running a rebate currently, but it is very close to expiring.
I would stay away from Howa. A friend has one in 243 and the rifling cracked within the first 500 rounds. Howa refused to warranty it. I know my friend, he did nothing to damage the barrel. Cost for rebarreling exceeded the cost of a new rifle.

Any "Buy Back fines" will be paid for in lead.....
Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote