• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobSto

Aug 17, 2018
    This is the second time I Applied for a firearm, the first time I checked status online I thought I saw "under second review" searched forum and someone else asked that question and people said that may not be good. went back to status again and is was updated back to "under review" thought I read it wrong, Got email a few days later "not denied" and picked up firearm.:party29: Went for a second purchase last week, yesterday said "under review" just checked this morning and it says "under second review". What's a second review for?

Thanks,
    Rob Black

Assuming "Rob Black" is your real name, it is likely the reason. It is common enough that there is a good chance there are multiple felons with the same name. If one of those felons shares your middle name, the same birthday, etc. it sets off red flags.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a delay or denial. Then I would apply for a UPIN (unique personal identity number). Google it for a better description.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A UPIN is issued by BATFE for NICS checks.

Wouldn’t do any good for an MSP criminal history check.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Has nothing to do with common names. I get it all the time. I have an uncommon name and there are 0 people with my last name in MD case search criminal records. I called and asked was told and everyone gets it. What I was told, non-sworn person/process collects all the data including NICS, and then sworn officer reviews and sign the app.

You would only know about it if you happened to log in and "print" your 77r at the right time because its only in that status briefly. The first few 77rs I checked obsessively everyday.

ETA: I should also note that sometimes they put "Not Disapproved" on the 77r but sometimes they put "Initial Review Not Disapproved". That latter one really freaked me out. :tinfoil: What does "Initial Review Not Disapproved" mean - whats there another one? Would the ATF or MDSP show up after? I called and was told that was that particular officers "protocol."

I can only conclude from this y'all are seriously slackin and need to fill out more 77rs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For the first time in my life I’m under “second review”. Not so much as a speeding ticket. I have a MD wear and carry permit, am a designated collector, and registered my machine gun this month. My name isn’t common. I’m 2 days past 7. What could this mean? Should I put the dog in body armor?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    For the first time in my life I’m under “second review”. Not so much as a speeding ticket. I have a MD wear and carry permit, am a designated collector, and registered my machine gun this month. My name isn’t common. I’m 2 days past 7. What could this mean? Should I put the dog in body armor?

When you are put under "second review" it means that you didn't buy enough guns last year to get preferred status. The only thing you can do now is buy a few more guns and try to even it out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When you are put under "second review" it means that you didn't buy enough guns last year to get preferred status. The only thing you can do now is buy a few more guns and try to even it out.

Ah. Makes sense. Will plan accordingly this year. It’s great to have such helpful friends. I bought 2 this time, but I’ll do better next time.

Mrlexed88

Amateur Race Car Driver
    Nov 28, 2016
    Harford
    After 5 long years I decided to purchase a new carry piece since I now have my MD W&C. Well I had a 77R filled out since 2018. Nothing has change other than my maybe height and weight. I checked today and I’m under “second review” on this Thursday night. Made the purchase Saturday afternoon and 77r forwarded same day. I’m am a little worried it was triggered by having such an old 77R

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Unless you robbed a bank recently, everyone needs to relax. I looked the other day and I have a mix of 'not disapproved' and 'initial review not disapproved'. It will also fluctuate between various statuses (is that a word?). Initial review, 2nd review, etc. if you watch the portal all the time. Anyway, the Good Doc is odd. You sure your FFL submitted when you think they did?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    After 5 long years I decided to purchase a new carry piece since I now have my MD W&C. Well I had a 77R filled out since 2018. Nothing has change other than my maybe height and weight. I checked today and I’m under “second review” on this Thursday night. Made the purchase Saturday afternoon and 77r forwarded same day. I’m am a little worried it was triggered by having such an old 77R

Oh man. Just realized this is an old thread. Don't stress until after the 8th day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom