• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Yesterday around 11am, my wife told me a bird was gobbling behind our barn, and in the evening the neighbor said he saw one while walking the dog. So this morning I set up and called. He came in at 0630 gobbling his head off. I lined up the shot and he didn't flinch. A second followed up, and he took off running. I thought for sure I missed, but I found him piled up about 40 yards away. 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.. My second turkey ever. First one on my actual property.
    ff617d9e24917dae3bf9c0e7c79a790f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! Nice bird!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yesterday around 11am, my wife told me a bird was gobbling behind our barn, and in the evening the neighbor said he saw one while walking the dog. So this morning I set up and called. He came in at 0630 gobbling his head off. I lined up the shot and he didn't flinch. A second followed up, and he took off running. I thought for sure I missed, but I found him piled up about 40 yards away. 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.. My second turkey ever. First one on my actual property.

Nice bird BigCountry! Them damned turkeys will drive you crazy! ...and they're addictive as hell too.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Interesting hunt last night. Wasn't exactly a serious hunt to be honest. I had my crow calls and slate call and wanted to practice them. I also took my bow and stopped at the end of the rail where I'd heard a gobbler several times. The night before I heard something creeping to the left of me but couldn't tell what it was. I was on a steep ridge and the underbrush is starting to get thick. The coyotes started calling a few minutes after I heard the thing creeping in the leaves so I thought it might be a coyote on the prowl.

I used both calls then started walking back up the ridge to go home. As I approached the spot where I had been calling I startled a gobbler right on the side of the dirt road in the tall brush. It let out a loud squawk and flew down the ridge.

At least I now know I can call in a gobbler.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The gobbler was still at the spot tonight. I'll try to harvest it on Monday (there will probably be too many hunters this weekend). I'm going to set up my decoys on a dirt road and lure him in with the slate call.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Have another gobbler losing his mind behind my house tonight. I shouldn't take another one here, but man is it tempting...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I saw a bobcat while turkey hunting on Saturday in Allegheny county. First time I’ve ever seen one in Maryland.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have another gobbler losing his mind behind my house tonight. I shouldn't take another one here, but man is it tempting...

The neighbor’s turkeys are gobbling like crazy. Probably not a good idea to line up on them though as I am pretty sure they might have more guns than me.

Certainly crazier (their semi-sunken garage in giant orange spray paint says “doomsday bunker” on it. Hard to see through the old dead mowers and cars on blocks. At least there’s a nice thicket of bamboo between their property and mine so I can see much of their junkyard).

I need to try to get out before the spring season is over and done with.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    You should go for it.Taking males won't affect the population.All the hens have been bred by now anyway
    He was following one yesterday.

I'm going to try down the shore next week.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I did take the neighbor out yesterday. We heard two gobblers early. Had to be out of the woods by 8 to get the kids, so we didn't stick around long enough to lure anyone

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I headed out Yesterday. I finally heard some birds Gobbling early. I stayed out until noon, I didn't see any birds, but just being out in the woods on a beautiful day, and at least hearing some
    Gobbling was a win for me. I was stalked down by a young hunter who was interested in my slate call clucks and purrs.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've stopped hearing any gobbling in the area I've been hunting. Does that mean they've been harvested or is the breeding over?

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've stopped hearing any gobbling in the area I've been hunting. Does that mean they've been harvested or is the breeding over?
    Sometimes they respond to pressure too and stop gobbling.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Finally made the dream come true!
    For the first time ever, I had a textbook morning. They weren't roosted on my ridge, but at least they kept gobbling after fly down. Called this dude in from the next ridge over about 90min after sunrise. I could hear him going off, but I couldn't see him, I wanted to get up and inch over so bad, but I kept still, kept quiet, and he came right up the steep side to me!
    First Maryland bird, first public land bird!
    476674ebaa27e15c1411c752958c552d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    For the first time ever, I had a textbook morning. They weren't roosted on my ridge, but at least they kept gobbling after fly down. Called this dude in from the next ridge over about 90min after sunrise. I could hear him going off, but I couldn't see him, I wanted to get up and inch over so bad, but I kept still, kept quiet, and he came right up the steep side to me!
    476674ebaa27e15c1411c752958c552d.jpg

Congrats!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Congrats! Quite an accomplishment.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Congrats to everyone who got birds, I had fun chasing them but couldn't connect this season. Stopped early from neck pain, hopefully next season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom