HQL application administratively denied: instructor needs to sign off on training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Groover08

May 1, 2021
    Potomac, MD
    Hello. I completed my HQL training with LTTC on 4/28 and applied for my HQL on 4/29. I received an email from MSP on 5/4 saying, and I quote:

“A review of your HQL application revealed your instructor has not signed off on your mandatory four hour training course. As a result, your application has been administratively denied.”​

Has anyone else ever received a similar email from MSP?

I contacted my HQL training provider but have not yet heard back from them. According to the MSP checklist, the only items in my application with an incomplete status are NICS and Secondary Review.

Is this a simple issue to resolve, and what should I do?

Thank you.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    Sounds like you need to call your training place, when I did mine they have to send the documents in, so it probably didn't reach them.
    Another way is for you to go out and buy a stripped AR lower receiver, and bypass the class requirement all together.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    My HQL instructor told us to let him know when we applied so he could go in and sign off on our application. He said he had no way to know we had applied unless we told him.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm glad it worked out for the OP .

But could our resident HQL Instructors chime in , is the typical practice ?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The latest update to the system has added an email notification to the instructors. Before this we had no way of knowing if someone had applied unless we logged into the MSP portal or the students let us know. I used to tell my students the same thing, "email me when you are done", so I would know to verify them.

Now when a student applies I get an email notification, actually a very nice feature.

TD

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh ? Do I understand this correctly , there is no longer any type of Certificate or other corporeal documentation for completing an HQL Class ? That a student has to separately contact the Instructor to take an Additional action to be able to actually use the HQL Class ?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Huh ? Do I understand this correctly , there is no longer any type of Certificate or other corporeal documentation for completing an HQL Class ? That a student has to separately contact the Instructor to take an Additional action to be able to actually use the HQL Class ?

Instructor has to sign off under their own instructor sign on. Certificates could be forged. No way to let MSP know who might have taken the class and I for one sure as hell don’t want to tell them. It would be better if MSP sent an email asking the instructor to sign on and verify the qualification. Which I understand they now do.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh . So , if a student takes the class ahead of time when opportunity arises ,but doesn't get the prints , etc for 6 months or so , and the Instructor meanwhile has a heart attack or gets run over by a truck , then the student is SOL , and has to get " trained" all over again ?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Huh . So , if a student takes the class ahead of time when opportunity arises ,but doesn't get the prints , etc for 6 months or so , and the Instructor meanwhile has a heart attack or gets run over by a truck , then the student is SOL , and has to get " trained" all over again ?

Yep, or go through a hunter education class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom