• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Forbidden City is the best for Chinese I've tried in the area. Check out Stables for steakhouse/bar food. Order whatever the special is and I promise you won't be disappointed. Bullocks is an old-school family style restaurant. Good friend chicken and all you can eat salad bar. Meatloaf on Wednesdays would be my suggestion. We had a really good meal at Thai Classic. Only been in the area 6 months and still working our way through everything.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    OP here, thanks again for all of the input. We ended up going to Bullocks since my wife wanted to try the fried chicken and we had a fairly tight time constraint. The overall experience was as expected, good old American food and plenty of it. Besides the chicken, we had crabcakes and roast beef. All of it was good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    OP here, thanks again for all of the input. We ended up going to Bullocks since my wife wanted to try the fried chicken and we had a fairly tight time constraint. The overall experience was as expected, good old American food and plenty of it. Besides the chicken, we gad crabcakes and roast beef. All of it was good.

Did they still have the giant block of cheese on the salad bar?

Rambler

Oct 22, 2011
    Did they still have the giant block of cheese on the salad bar?
    I did not see it but that does not mean it was not there. As to other things on the salad bar, the bread was quite good (baked on site?) as was the soup.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I was in Bullocks last week, and they still had a block of cheese. looked to be cheddar. a few months back, they had several kinds to pick from.

I believe they bake their own bread, and the salad bar selection is whatever is left over that didn't sell.

Rambler

Oct 22, 2011
    I know it is not Westminster, but what do folks think of Pig n a Poke BBQ in Finksburg?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wife and I just ate at the Maryland Mallet and Smokehouse up Rt97 for her birthday dinner. They were pretty busy, and only take reservations for parties of 8+. Wait was about 20-25 minutes at 5:30, but the food was worth it. I am not a huge seafood person, so I had the beef brisket, beans and mac. Excellent. She had the crab soup, Bmore cassadia, crab cake and loved it. Atmosphere is casual, but nice. Food is middle of the road pricewise, but ours was great. Service was a B+, but they were busy. We will go back.

Baughers and Bullocks are great, country style, family restaurants. Not too expensive. The older I get, the less and less I like chain restaurants.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Pig n a Poke recently changed ownership from what I hear and the chow is not quite the same. The former owners run Maryland Mallet.
    Pig n Poke was called Smokers back in the day and was one of my favorite Maryland BBQs. They closed suddenly a few years back and it sat idle for a while until the Poke opened. Agree, not the same and food is uneven. I prefer Back Hog in downtown Frederick or Chubbys up in Emmitsburg... Lone Star in Westminster isn't bad, and Smokies in Eldersburg is darned good too. Now I want BBQ today...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Pig n Poke was called Smokers back in the day and was one of my favorite Maryland BBQs. They closed suddenly a few years back and it sat idle for a while until the Poke opened. Agree, not the same and food is uneven. I prefer Back Hog in downtown Frederick or Chubbys up in Emmitsburg... Lone Star in Westminster isn't bad, and Smokies in Eldersburg is darned good too. Now I want BBQ today...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Outlaw BBQ in Hampstead is worth the 11 dollar lunch as well.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Wife and I just ate at the Maryland Mallet and Smokehouse up Rt97 for her birthday dinner. They were pretty busy, and only take reservations for parties of 8+. Wait was about 20-25 minutes at 5:30, but the food was worth it. I am not a huge seafood person, so I had the beef brisket, beans and mac. Excellent. She had the crab soup, Bmore cassadia, crab cake and loved it. Atmosphere is casual, but nice. Food is middle of the road pricewise, but ours was great. Service was a B+, but they were busy. We will go back.

Baughers and Bullocks are great, country style, family restaurants. Not too expensive. The older I get, the less and less I like chain restaurants.
    What is Bmore cassadia?

If by great you mean Baughers is very average at best, then yes, it is great. :D

Outlaw BBQ in Hampstead is worth the 11 dollar lunch as well.
    I thoroughly approve of this post.

Is that the newish place that's carry out only? I've yet to try that one...

They have picnic table outside. :D

Rambler

Oct 22, 2011
    What is Bmore cassadia?

If by great you mean Baughers is very average at best, then yes, it is great. :D

I thoroughly approve of this post.

They have picnic table outside. :D
    If I had to guess, it means Baltimore quesadilla which would most likely be with crab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom