Handgun Hunting Glock 40 or 44mag revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I need a little help pushing me over the edge of what to buy. As of right now I'm considering a Glock 40 10mm vs Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum (possibly Redhawk for its DA). I will end up buying both at some point in my life, but I have to choose one for now. This would primarily be for deer hunting, and I have no immediate plans for visiting grizzly country. I may be buying hunting land in WV soon. Both handguns without optics are about $850 and I do not reload at this time.

I would be putting a red dot on the Glock, and scope on the revolver.

Give me some pros and cons. Thanks

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Go Big or Go Home

I had a bad experience with anything smaller that a 44 Mag. A bud hit a hog and it did not go down. A bear is a total different category I have shot several bears over my life time and the smallest caliber was a 30/06.

A friend in Maine shot a bear 3 times with a 357 mag and he was lucky he was not killed.

I went hog hunting in GA this past spring one shot with my revolver he went down. Last fall I took down a deer at about 50 yards and dropped it in its tracks.

Also it will take care of the zombies, 50 caliber S&W magnum by Magnum research don't leave home with out one.

Also it is a hoot when you open carry.

Attachments

• Zombie Defense.jpg
      Zombie Defense.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 452

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    10mm is a good option but I would go with the 44. Blackhawk is easier on recoil than the Redhawk due to the SA frame design.

I can shoot strong SA's much, much more than I can the DA designs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    [Kev308];6342350 said:
    I need a little help pushing me over the edge of what to buy. As of right now I'm considering a Glock 40 10mm vs Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum (possibly Redhawk for its DA). I will end up buying both at some point in my life, but I have to choose one for now. This would primarily be for deer hunting, and I have no immediate plans for visiting grizzly country. I may be buying hunting land in WV soon. Both handguns without optics are about $850 and I do not reload at this time.

I would be putting a red dot on the Glock, and scope on the revolver.

Give me some pros and cons. Thanks
    Would you consider a P80?

I did a 10mm “Glock” with a 6” barrel. Well under $850. Barrel and slide from Lone Wolf. https://www.lonewolfdist.com/aw-slide20l-g3-oem.

Attachments

• E2C9B3BA-4E95-44EB-861D-1F4549D2774F.jpg
      E2C9B3BA-4E95-44EB-861D-1F4549D2774F.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 460

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    10mm is a good option but I would go with the 44. Blackhawk is easier on recoil than the Redhawk due to the SA frame design.

I can shoot strong SA's much, much more than I can the DA designs.
    As for the Redhawk, I would shoot it as a SA but buy it for the DA if I ever go out west hunting and have to fire off multiple shots to fend off a predator.
    Kind of a buy once, cry once philosophy

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Tracking. Try a 44 in a SA frame and one in a DA frame if you haven't. The recoil from a DA is more punishing to most shooters due to the angle of the grip frame.

May give you a nasty flinch pretty quick if you're not used to them.

I know I do NOT like to shoot my Redhawk 44 much with strong loads in it but can plink with a .454 Freedom Arms till my ammo stash is starting to get low.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A good set of Uncle Mike’s grips, if you can find them, or similar design will help with taming the recoil of a Redhawk revolver. If you think you may need to shoot DA with a Redhawk use the factory mainspring (action spring).

For hunting I would go with the revolver in a 44 Magnum...mainly because I already did years ago. My 7.5” Super Blackhawk is my deer medicine. A set Pachmyers on it are butt ugly but give that single action a DA feel and good recoil management. I would use the Redhawk but Maryland says 5.5” barrels are no-no’s.

After shooting heavy loads in a 10mm 1911 I would still take the revolvers hunting.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Which one can you find ammo for? Reloading is something you may want to consider in the future even if it's just for one or two calibers with a hand press.
    All other things being equal I think I'd have to opt for the .44 first. For accuracy, and power you just can't beat a revolver. A friend owns a Blackhawk Hunter in .44 that he put a Weigand rail on and mounted a Burris Fast Fire red dot on that for a hog hunt.https://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_Blackhawk_Bisley_Hunter.html
    That is a great set up for engaging a moving target. I've got iron sights on all my .44s so personally I'll use my 40 for deer.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    For deer I would choose the revolver, hogs the 10mm. One thing to consider, does WV, have a barrel length requirement of 6 inches like Md? Idk, does the Glock offer a longer barrel?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    [Kev308];6343130 said:
    You got me going down a rabbit hole and I found a 9" barrel for the glock 20/40. Looks goofy sticking out of the slide, but the velocity was impressive.

Lol. Sorry about the rabbit hole. 9” barrel!?! The John Holmes Edition…

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I would have to vote for the .44 Mag. My Super Blackhawk points well, has manageable recoil and I know it will drop a deer instantly, although you shouldn't expect to eat a rabbit shot with it.

9x23w

Aug 15, 2017
    Nothing more reliable and accurate than a Ruger 44. Reload or run 44 Specials for practice or plinking. IHMO Glock is a poor choice for a hunting handgun. They are reliable and accurate but difficult to carry safely without an empty chamber, at which point they are slower to get into action. 10mm is a powerful round but it is not a 44 magnum.

Blackhawks will hurt your hand less than Redhawks. Avoid the Bisley unless you have large hands, the grip is straighter and it rolls back less under recoil than the standard grip.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You don’t want a heavy recoiling single afction to roll up in your hand. The 44 Magnum is about the limit for that shape grip frame. Many get their middle finger knuckle busted against the trigger guard when shooting magnum power loads and the stock grips. The ugly old Pachmyers make kind of a hybrid Bisley/plow handle grip shape to the grip and the rubber adheres to your hand. All the bigger than 44 Magnum revolvers use a Bisley type grip frame to prevent the roll up from beating the shooters hands.

I’ve tried a good number of wood grips on my Super Blackhawk but always went back to tbe Pachmyers...because they work. I am a shooter first so the Pachmyers have been a permanent part of that revolver for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom