• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Got this big boiiii at 25 yards with a suppressed .22 lr from my office window. One shot to the knoggin and he didn’t even kick

Attachments

• E5EE644B-EC07-4430-A0EE-C825719A46E7.jpg
      E5EE644B-EC07-4430-A0EE-C825719A46E7.jpg
      194.3 KB · Views: 393
    • 0BD911AD-EC27-4DC6-8E45-7DC37B95840B.jpg
      0BD911AD-EC27-4DC6-8E45-7DC37B95840B.jpg
      82 KB · Views: 399

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Got my first one of 2020 on Sunday. I felt guilty when I nailed him thru the heart at only 65 yards with my 6.8mm AR. Felt less guilty when I found he had dug a new home in the middle of the alfalfa field.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Got my first one of 2020 on Sunday. I felt guilty when I nailed him thru the heart at only 65 yards with my 6.8mm AR. Felt less guilty when I found he had dug a new home in the middle of the alfalfa field.

That’s how it goes. It seems for every one I see, 2-3 are hiding just around the corner in the woods.

I only remove the ones from the fields... but it’s still 20-30 a year. Highest so far was 42. The field is about 150-200 yards wide and 600yards long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Does anyone eat the ground hogs? I saw it mentioned in a post from near the beginning of the thread, but didn't see anything recent

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Don’t think I’d eat them but I’d love to take a few out of commission.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Does anyone eat the ground hogs? I saw it mentioned in a post from near the beginning of the thread, but didn't see anything recent

I met a guy from Idaho that’s eaten groundhog. The meat spoils quickly and there’s a sac or something you need to avoid cutting when butchering them. Can’t say I’m interested in tasting one.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I put the corpses of the two I got in the files along a fence line, and I noticed yesterday that they were gone. Is there a wild critter that eats groundhogs? Fox? Coyote?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I met a guy from Idaho that’s eaten groundhog. The meat spoils quickly and there’s a sac or something you need to avoid cutting when butchering them. Can’t say I’m interested in tasting one.

Probably the same sack as squirrel. Never eaten them, just a guess because it’s from the same family.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I put the corpses of the two I got in the files along a fence line, and I noticed yesterday that they were gone. Is there a wild critter that eats groundhogs? Fox? Coyote?

Yes to not both of those. Crow and vultures too. All kinds of things eat them. I’m surprised if the corpse lasts in the field more than a day at my farm.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have found that 22 WSM ethically puts them down quickly w/o annoying the neighbors. Anything louder up to 25 cal would be a problem around here. :-)

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have found that 22 WSM ethically puts them down quickly w/o annoying the neighbors. Anything louder up to 25 cal would be a problem around here. :-)

Ethically... at what range? 100... 150... 200 yards.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a groundhog doesn't give a flippin hoot about our ethics.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Shot one today but he was able to get down his hole. Had the cross hairs right on his head. I hope he doesn’t suffer, I feel bad about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom