• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Thompson SMG

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Thompson_M1A1_Full_Metal_Body_AEG/1304

Hey Airgunners - new deals from Umarex, Dan Wesson, ASG and more just added!

Don't Forget - Today only save 15% on some of the most revered brands in the airgun world. Use FRIDAY-15 on the featured brands like Air Arms, Seneca, Ataman and more...are all eligible for coupons - for a limited time.

Hurry - this promotion expires Friday, 11/29/19 @ 11:59 p.m. EST

You can also get 10% off any time by signing up for their emails.

PY-1304_Thompson-M1A1-FullMetal-Body.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I want to start reloading 38 Special and 357 Magnum and want a minimal set-up that is small (happy to do small batches). I already have brass and bullets. Anyone that reloads run across Black Friday specials for primers, powder, basic reloading equipment, etc? I’m no hurry, but wouldn’t want to miss out on great deal. :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I want to start reloading 38 Special and 357 Magnum and want a minimal set-up that is small (happy to do small batches). I already have brass and bullets. Anyone that reloads run across Black Friday specials for primers, powder, basic reloading equipment, etc? I’m no hurry, but wouldn’t want to miss out on great deal. :)

The different supply houses tend to go to market differently. Some have a reputation for low prices. Others price their inventory higher, and then discount and deal. But you will find that there is a common theme in looking to maximize savings when purchasing components online. That is, when looking for deals, planning is your very best friend. Shipping and hazmat charges especially are what you are trying to avoid. You usually won't avoid both.

So how do you avoid these fees when the supply houses run deals? Typically, by purchasing in sufficient dollar volume. And by thinking through your needs, such that you don't find yourself needing (for example), only a pound of powder.

Using an example of a promo that is currently running through this weekend, Powder Valley has free hazmat with orders of $179.00. You'll still pay shipping.

Now Hazmat fees vary by vendor. But with this particular vendor, the hazmat fee they charge is $19.95. In addition, while it is possible to beat Powder Valley pricing, it isn't typically easy. You can pretty much count on their pricing to be extremely competitive. So when Powder Valley runs a free Hazmat promo, combined with their always competitive pricing, it should be worth a look.

Given your mention of 38 special and .357 mag? Well, let's say for grins and some bar room napkin math that you might be looking at a pound of Bullseye on the 38 special side. You're now good for let's say 2300 rounds. And let's say 2400 is your choice for .357. Figure 450 rounds of 357 per pound of 2400.

Figure 22 bucks a pound for either powder. Figure 30 bucks per thousand on your primers.

Now depending on the mix you have in mind? Play with the math. You might shoot more 38 special, or more 357 Magnum. But see where this is going? Your initial order to accomodate your stated desire might be a pound of Bullseye (2300 rounds of 38 special) 3 pounds of 2400 (1350 rounds of .357). And if you like this mix of Special to Magnum, then 4000 small pistol primers is arguably a pretty good number to purchase.

Powder: $ 88.00
    Primers: $120.00

Total: $208.00

(plus shipping- say 15 bucks)

You just avoided harmat, and bought your components at very competitive prices. Price that same order at Bass Pro. You'll find the savings from your planning to be significant.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The different supply houses tend to go to market differently. Some have a reputation for low prices. Others price their inventory higher, and then discount and deal. But you will find that there is a common theme in looking to maximize savings when purchasing components online. That is, when looking for deals, planning is your very best friend. Shipping and hazmat charges especially are what you are trying to avoid. You usually won't avoid both.

Hey my friend, thanks for the detailed feedback. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Thompson_M1A1_Full_Metal_Body_AEG/1304

Hey Airgunners - new deals from Umarex, Dan Wesson, ASG and more just added!

Don't Forget - Today only save 15% on some of the most revered brands in the airgun world. Use FRIDAY-15 on the featured brands like Air Arms, Seneca, Ataman and more...are all eligible for coupons - for a limited time.

Hurry - this promotion expires Friday, 11/29/19 @ 11:59 p.m. EST

You can also get 10% off any time by signing up for their emails.

Ordered the BB M1 Carbine. 15% using the code BLACK-15.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't forget the primers should be a mix of standard and magnum primers.

Cheapest setup to get into reloading (for a bench set up), tends to be the Lee kits. I am not a fan of their scale, but overall their stuff is fine.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don't forget the primers should be a mix of standard and magnum primers.

Cheapest setup to get into reloading (for a bench set up), tends to be the Lee kits. I am not a fan of their scale, but overall their stuff is fine.

Or get a used setup from someone who already spent all the money.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

You are welcome to use my 550 anytime you wish.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You are welcome to use my 550 anytime you wish.
    Thanks, buddy. I know this of course. ;) Just want to start assembling some basics, e.g. looking at pricing for scales/dispensers and brass cleaning setups today. In part, I want to have these on hand to get my kids familiar with the process, and I view having the different materials and tools as didactic instruments.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Primary Arms is doing 12% off site-wide with code SAVE12. It excludes a few brands, though.

dweaver

Jun 8, 2013
    Washington Co. MD
    Anyone place an order with them? Ordered 11/29, update shows shipping label created 12/2 but not shipped yet.

I placed an order here as well and mine shows exactly the same. I hit up their contact us portion of the website Saturday and they responded stating that that is normal process for them. They said they bulk print the shipping labels then work thru “sorting, packing, and shipping as they go”. They also said “it should all be finished up within the next few days.” Maybe I’m just over worrying but mine is still showing the same pre shipment status...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom