• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    A person may be carrying a utility knife for its use as a weapon, so as to violate prohibition against carrying dangerous weapon, even if the person’s intent merely is to display the knife in the belief that the display will deter aggressors, without any intent to inflict bodily injury. Anderson v. State, 614 A.2d 963 (1992).

Therefore, if you carry knives do it for other purposes besides SD. If you happen to need it for SD then so be it, but if the State can prove you carried it with the intent to use it in SD you are in trouble.

This is an altered version of the original text of Anderson, which gives an erroneous impression.

The original text is as follows:
    A person may carry a utility knife for its use as a weapon where the person's intent merely is to display the knife in the belief that the display will deter aggressors, without any intent to inflict bodily injury.

For context, the def in Anderson had a utility knife, three little zip lock bags, and a bar of soap. It was obvious he was making fake crack cocaine to sell, but he stuck with the story that the knife was for his job. The goal of charging him with a weapon crime was to find something to charge him with since they could make any other crime stick. It was a massive stretch, which failed as he was acquitted.

You want the long and short of Maryland law on knives with all the citations, check out my site: http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/maryland-knife-laws

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    State statue 7.467 sub paragraph c, says, if you are legally carrying a knife, and another person pulls a knife on you, you must first reply in an Australian accent,

Attachments

• thats-not-a-knife-this-is-a-knife.jpg
      thats-not-a-knife-this-is-a-knife.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 373

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    A little time with a belt sander(and good mask) will make those contegos soooooo much nicer to hold.

I'm sure it would but after 50 years in construction, the Contego handles are fine for me as is.:thumbsup: My hands are beat-up and on the hard side....like my head!:D

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I carry a "spring assisted flipper" knife with a 3.5" blade clipped to my right front pants pocket every moment of my life...

It's a KERSHAW, a very good piece of steel & I keep it razor sharp...

"Officer I use it daily for my work to open boxes as new goods arrive"...

The clip is small but visible on my pants"...

I've never had a comment from a Law Enforcement Officer...

From what I have heard, a cop, may simply confiscate a "switch blade" if there is a question of why you have it...

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD

Sorry the sites disclaimer is worrisome:

"Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources."

I'd be interested seeing a letter from MSP or the Attorney General.
    But thanks.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Sorry the sites disclaimer is worrisome:

"Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources."

I'd be interested seeing a letter from MSP or the Attorney General.
    But thanks.

Here, this is from the Maryland General Assembly's official government website, where the most current laws are kept as well as bills:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Laws/StatuteText?article=gcr&section=4-101&enactments=true

Scroll down to part (b) and then paragraph (3) after that.

That is state law as written and is as official as your going to get. Your letter from MSP should be considered in context: Yes, the permit only covers handguns. But the law says, as a holder of the permit, you are exempt from 4-101's prohibitions.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    So i can carry brass knuckles?

(i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) “Weapon” does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

Nobody

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't know about this exact case, but acts passed by the legislature are not what is enforced, what is enforced is what is written in COMAR. Not unusual to find these differ.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Please site your source for this statement. It is opposite of a letter I received from MSP when I asked them about carrying a sheath knife when I had a carry permit. They said specifically my permit covered only "legal handguns".

MSP statements do not always reflect the actuality of the law, nor are their interpretations of the law necessarily correct. They have a history of stating what they would like to believe to be the law.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    But is it legal to order one shipped to your home in Maryland if you're not special ?
    I’d like clarification on this too. When I put my address in on BladeHQ or Knifecenter it tells me it’s against federal law to ship automatic knives across state lines and the sale is stopped. I’ve learned via other forums people in other states order autos all the time from BladeHQ and Knifecenter. So why the Md prohibition and why lie about it being against fed law?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Im not too sure about the shipping but there sure are a lot of “or”s in option #1 on their website.
    Restrictions

*1. This item is restricted
    Auto law & Legal Status Terms IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES:
    U.S. Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
    (1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
    (2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
    (3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;
    (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
    I do not meet any of the criteria above.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Im not too sure about the shipping but there sure are a lot of “or”s in option #1 on their website.
    Restrictions

U.S. Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
    (1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
    (2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
    (3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;
    (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
    In other states it seems they’ll ship them to anyone though.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Restrictions

I advocate breaking no laws, but if one orders on grindworx.com, and one checks box 4 supra, one will receive items. Or so I've heard.

One may be on the business end of a no-knock one day.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom