• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    Looking to hear experiences on local gun ranges. Where are good places to go for walk ins, and who has great memberships?

I’ve been to a few in the area that literally don’t have the time for new gun owners....

I’ve been to Gilbert’s Indoor Range recently and it was an OK experience but it’s hard to get a time slot. Looking for somewhere that is little more accessible.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Freestate has been my go to recently. Good facilities and the employees there are nice. Haven't seen any safety issues while I've been there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    AGC is probably the best in the state outside of extremely exclusive private clubs. I never found a better one and tried many over 20yrs.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown
    I typically shoot on my own property, but I went to the new Guntry Club in Owings Mills for a tour (Full discoluse: a friend of mine's family is one of the owners) and to shoot a couple times. It's by far the best indoor experience in the state, and I'll be getting a membership very shortly. Outdoor wise, AGC is very nice.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I typically shoot on my own property, but I went to the new Guntry Club in Owings Mills for a tour (Full discoluse: a friend of mine's family is one of the owners) and to shoot a couple times. It's by far the best indoor experience in the state, and I'll be getting a membership very shortly. Outdoor wise, AGC is very nice.

While nice looking, Guntry does have some suspect employees involved...

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

Agree completely. Great customer service. I joined and I've been there more times than my 3 years at AGC. Nothing against AGC, but Guntry is 10 minutes away. And not having to fiddle-f*ck around with target stands, hot/cold ranges is a plus too.

This is not to bash AGC at all. It's easily the best value out there. And it keeps getting better.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown

Thanks, I'm familiar with how to use google. Maybe you could post a link that indicates some sort of connection between the two. Because that one does no such thing. Google also fails to show a connection between the two and any C level employee. I'm not saying there 100% isn't a connection, but it's not supported by the link you posted...

Edit: You talking about Palmere not talking to Bromwich? That seems like a bit of a stretch, but fair enough.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Part of what makes a range good is the experience of getting there and back. So: where?

The conversation is completely different if you’re near the capital beltway, vs perhaps outside Fredrick or Baltimore.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thanks, I'm familiar with how to use google. Maybe you could post a link that indicates some sort of connection between the two. Because that one does no such thing. Google also fails to show a connection between the two and an C level employee. I'm not saying there 100% isn't a connection, but it's not supported by the link you posted...

Draw your own conclusions, I wouldn’t patronize a business that supports covering up homicides or other crime by association.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...e-retiring-20180205-story.html?outputType=amp

https://therealnews.com/stories/brother-of-crooked-cop-says-he-knows-who-killed-detective-suiter

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Hap Baker (Westminster dump) is my go to outdoor range. The only negative about it imo is they can get really busy and the wait can be a bit much. If you are able to go non-peak, there is rarely a wait. Pricing at all levels is extremely reasonable.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown
    Draw your own conclusions, I wouldn’t patronize a business that supports covering up homicides or other crime by association.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...e-retiring-20180205-story.html?outputType=amp

https://therealnews.com/stories/brother-of-crooked-cop-says-he-knows-who-killed-detective-suiter

Thanks, I appreciate the information and links.

A cursory glance seems to be little to nothing other than allegations, but I'll certainly look into it more.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thanks, I appreciate the information and links.

A cursory glance seems to be little to nothing other than allegations, but I'll certainly look into it more.

Good luck, either you or the Us Attorney will figure it all out I’m sure. Too much doubt for me to be interested in patronizing that business.

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    My experiences:

Continental - Indoor - good place to try out guns before you buy, Friendly folks in the range. Good range. Store is expensive.

Hap Baker Outdoor - pretty good, RSOs can be a bit much

Freestate - Indoor - my least favorite. The allow .223 and .308 at various times - so loud that double ears don't work well. Store is really nice, seems like decent prices. Crowded. Clientele questionable.

Baltimore County Game and Fish - Outdoor - can't walk in normally but have various pistol and rifle matches open to the public. First class.

Associated Gun Clubs - Outdoor - Biggest range around with the most variety. Lots of ranges - pistol, rifle, trap, action, etc. Great Place.

Izzak Walton League #67 - York - limited experience but all good. Awesome!

Bel Air gun range (formerly Horst and McCann) - Good - store is limited. Nice people.

Phil

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Part of what makes a range good is the experience of getting there and back. So: where?

The conversation is completely different if you’re near the capital beltway, vs perhaps outside Fredrick or Baltimore.

Amen to that! I hear there is a nice range with really good people out in western MD...but that sure doesn't do me any good if I just want to pop off a quickie.:innocent0

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Amen to that! I hear there is a nice range with really good people out in western MD...but that sure doesn't do me any good if I just want to pop off a quickie.:innocent0

If you're in lower MoCo, it's a range wasteland. Depending on the time of day (and thus traffic), one of the nearest places I can reliably get a lane is yonder just across the river at the NRA range. Nice enough facility (if not a Guntry Club), and the staff has always been very pleasant. Haven't been back since the plague hit. Hell, ALL of my shooting since has been in the form of a couple of steel matches at AGC! Practice? That's so last era.

If I could stroll out to the back 40 to crank off a few rounds, I'd probably be going through a lot more ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom