• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    What feeder have you guys had luck with using. Right now I just either dump the corn on a pile or spread it out in front of my camera. Coons seem to end up eating most of it in a few nights. Looking at getting maybe like a hanging 50 lb feeder with a timer so that the corn will last longer to help keep the deer coming to an area.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Here is what is used at sika deer farm. Drops straight down and quiet. No spinner.
    Ghost Feeder

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95.9 KB · Views: 365

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Dumping corn produces wildly at first, but dies out fast and draws everything like you said.

We use the Moultrie elite and run it for 8 seconds at 3:30 right now. It brings the does in right before dusk. Feeding in the morning had turkeys blowing out the feeder and then deer stopped using it. My buddy has the Moultrie standard feeder and it uses AA batteries and the motor is quite a bit smaller, IMO.

I put 150# of corn in the elite feeder to get the does through with extra calories until spring. It said 77 days on the feeder calc and Siri said that was March 26th. You can only get about 180# in the 30 gallon feeder.

I have no experience on 55 gallon feeders.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    2.5" pvc pipe x 10' and a coolie cup to seal makes a dandy gravity fed corn feeder. This holds about 25# or 1/2 bag of corn. One load lasts about 3-7 days depending on deer traffic. Once nice thing beyond being cheap and battery free is that you can gauge traffic based on how much corn is consumed.

Longer and/or wider pipe holds more corn. You can also add a hopper for more volume between refills. Just elevate about 5' or so, (fence, sign, or tree and a little bungee cord is all that is needed for vertical support . Don't use in bear country :-)

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    2.5" pvc pipe x 10' and a coolie cup to seal makes a dandy gravity fed corn feeder. This holds about 25# or 1/2 bag of corn. One load lasts about 3-7 days depending on deer traffic. Once nice thing beyond being cheap and battery free is that you can gauge traffic based on how much corn is consumed.

Longer and/or wider pipe holds more corn. You can also add a hopper for more volume between refills. Just elevate about 5' or so, (fence, sign, or tree and a little bungee cord is all that is needed for vertical support . Don't use in bear country :-)

I made one from 3 or 4" pvc. What's a coolie cup? Mine had a y connector on the bottom.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Just a plastic cup to place on the end of the pipe to keep water out. I found just using a straight pipe works great.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What feeder have you guys had luck with using. Right now I just either dump the corn on a pile or spread it out in front of my camera. Coons seem to end up eating most of it in a few nights. Looking at getting maybe like a hanging 50 lb feeder with a timer so that the corn will last longer to help keep the deer coming to an area.

I have a $100 moultrie feeder. It works decent, I have had issues with walmart lately getting 6v batteries. I need to change the battery in my feeder but the last 2 I got from walmart wouldnt even activate the feeder! And I lost the first receipt, told myself to keep the 2nd and what happens?? I lose the second receipt:sad20:! I hope to get an in store credit. The battery thats in there now is still kicking and its been in there a while now...Im talking a few months!

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    I have one 100 pound feeder which is fine but also a much cheaper solution that works great. Took a plastic trash can, one of the circular ones. Then cut a few holes on the front and back bottom of it for the corn to come out. Just fill the trash can up with a couple bags of corn and its a done deal.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I dump 50lbs on ground. Sometimes it's gone in 2 days, sometimes it lasts 4-5 days. squirrels eat a bit and occasionally racoons eat a little. But 99% goes to deer. When acorns drop I get some moldy corn because the deer mostly vanish. was thinking about a gravity feeder but if I waste a bag of corn or two a year it would take lots of years to make up for the expense of a gravity feeder

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I made two bump feeders and the deer NEVER figured them out. The coons and the squirrels figure it right damn out.

Here is the coon working it. Not sure how to embedd this but its public on my facebook, you should be able to watch it.
    https://www.facebook.com/archeryrob/videos/vb.1814593708/10207046913170637/?type=3

Then the squirrels learned to jump on the pole and pole dance and corn rained on them. They would also jump from the tree to the top of the bucket and shake the bucket and make corn fall

The deer, never figured it out. I guess they could if I shot all other animals.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I can’t keep a plastic feeder in my backyard without the squirrels ruining it. Some last a week and some last a month but they chew a hole in them every damn time.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon

I made one from 3 or 4" pvc. What's a coolie cup? Mine had a y connector on the bottom.

Got a picture you can post?

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I had deer on the bump feeder regularly. Squirrels get to it too but they are basically free to make from old drywall bucket and piece of broom handle so if it get destroyed its no biggie. Had it out from October till a week ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom