• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • python

Apr 15, 2010
    I'm not sure how long the new rules have been in force, but if you put a gun on consignment and want it back, you fill out a 77R and have a 3 day wait. If this has been discussed before, sorry for the duplication.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    A regulated firearm placed on consignment (for sale) requires the FFL to take possession, meaning you relinquish same. Want it back? Should be a 77R, 4163 and 7 day wait in MD. Never heard about a 3 day wait. What am I missing? bob

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    77R , by usual procedures .
    And if applicable , an HQL is required , even if you already owned it before the age of HQLs .

And the answer is Oct 1 , 2013 .

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    It happened to me when I placed a revolver on consignment.

I was stunned and let it remain until sold.
    Just to be clear consignment is covered under Federal Law. Nuance in MD is FFL can't legally do a NICS check for a handgun transaction so State process applies as it was a handgun. ATF Q and A response below:

How does a licensee handle the sale of a consignment firearm?

Firearms received for sale on consignment must be entered in the licensee’s acquisition and disposition record. The sale of a consignment firearm is handled in the same manner as other firearm sales.

Return of any consigned firearms by the licensee to the consignor must be entered in the licensee’s disposition record. An ATF Form 4473 and a NICS check must be completed prior to the return of such firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g); 27 CFR 478.122, 478.123, 478.124 and 478.125]

Last Reviewed September 11,*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Consignment transfers ownership. Maintenance does not. bob

I don't see how consignment changes ownership until sold. Is there a cost associated with jail-breaking your own firearm?

Legal definition (partial)
    The consignee acts as an agent on behalf of the consignor, a principal, in selling the goods and must take reasonable care of them while in his or her possession. The consignor does not give up ownership of the goods until their sale.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I don't see how consignment changes ownership until sold. Is there a cost associated with jail-breaking your own firearm?

Legal definition (partial)
    The consignee acts as an agent on behalf of the consignor, a principal, in selling the goods and must take reasonable care of them while in his or her possession. The consignor does not give up ownership of the goods until their sale.

There's logic, and there's law

python

Apr 15, 2010
    A regulated firearm placed on consignment (for sale) requires the FFL to take possession, meaning you relinquish same. Want it back? Should be a 77R, 4163 and 7 day wait in MD. Never heard about a 3 day wait. What am I missing? bob

3 days on a consignment. Ask an FFL. You think I'm making this stuff up.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Some changes 1 Jan 2020. Not a Pawn Shop so not up on what changed. But addressed on this page.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...onBureau/LicensingDivision/NICS-for-Pawn.aspx

There has been no change in law or regulations.

I dont think that the rules are new, I think that they are being enforced. As in perhaps some dealers were sliding.

I am not sure about the 3 day wait thing either. Where do I find that in law or regulation? I think its 7 as stated earlier.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Not being a Pawn shop would have thought 7 days but even MSP link provided discusses 3 days.

Might be some relation to max time on NICS is 3 days. At 3 Days FFL can transfer gun without a response. Not sure if some tie into consignee is already owner. Not a pawn shop nor 02 lisence so something I don't deal.wirh.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member