• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Definitaly understand the overwhelming feeling. Taking frequent breaks (even just 5 minutes to walk outside and get some fresh air) helps me a lot.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Been shoveling things in to my garage since I bought the house. Now I'm giving crap the heave ho and sending it packing. Didnt know what I would need but now that I do the balance is disappearing.

Someone buy the safe I have in the classifieds and help me out!!!

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    One thing someone taught me.... as they were waffling on to pitch it or not.. take a photo.

That way, even when it is gone, still can have that picture as a memory. Not all things need physically saved.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    You nailed it. Over the past several months, we've been going through this process getting ready to put our house on the market. We've been here since 1996. Added on in 2011 and filled the new space. Overwhelming is an understatement. I even had to hire a small local moving company to haul boxes to a self storage unit. I guess I probably hauled 2 tons of stuff to the landfill. The hardest part was getting my wife on board. She had trouble parting with stuff. I did at first but after unloading stuff (either selling or pitching), it started to feel good. We got to the point of listing last week. The stager and photographer came last Friday and it hit the market the following Monday. Went under contract by noon.

It's a painful process. It's something that should be done every 5 years. Good luck.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Everything excess got tossed in the attic for years. Old toys, clothes, shoes, boxes stuff came in... One of my goals if I get a Corona-cation this spring is to back the truck under the window and start shovelling shit out.

I have probably a thousand war books up there that need shelves built for. They won't go.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I went through this with my wife and her sisters a couple years ago when my FIL died. WE had to clear out the house, full of things they loved and kept for years and years. They wanted very little of it. I did salvage a 22 rifle and a Ruger 22 pistol for my 2 oldest kids and I ended up with the .41 Derringer that he made from a kit. They threw things out left and right.

I ended up with a million pictures and slides from my wife's parents and grandparents to be added to the million pictures I had from when my Mother died. They just sat in boxes and with some of them being 100 years old they were deteriorating. I went to Staples and bought a flat bed scanner that would scan negatives and slides as well as doing multiple pictures at one time for about $125.

I scanned all those pictures and then dumped them. Made thumb drives for my brother, wife's sisters and a couple cousins and for our kids. Freed up a lot of storage space!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Whenever my grandmother dies one day I dread having to clean the house out. So much stuff, some of it still in boxed and valuable but there is no way to easily sell the stuff.

If it should go and you are still depressed maybe you should be talking to a professional.

nothing wrong with that! I recommend it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Mrs GnR and I are going to rent one of those giant dumpsters, the ones that are essentially the back end of a big truck ...

They drop it off, give you a period of time to fill it, and then come back when it's full to haul it away.

Hoping to clear out the basement, a small barn, and an old hunting camp that collapsed under the weight of a heavy snow way back in the 90s.
    You'll probably need 2 of them. Seriously. They fill up fast.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I hate throwing something away, and finding out next week you need it. :sad20:
    Doesn't really happen to most people. Seriously. What will you need next week that you've long forgotten about in some box buried deep in the basement? If it's something very expensive, you probably wouldn't have it stored away. Something you may need is cheap enough to go buy.
    The liberation from being held hostage by crap is a worthwhile high.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Whenever my grandmother dies one day I dread having to clean the house out. So much stuff, some of it still in boxed and valuable but there is no way to easily sell the stuff.

There are some auction houses around here that will do estate sales. Go through the stuff, box it up and set it all aside somewhere. They come pick it up, auction it all off in one night and mail you a check, minus their fees. Easy, peasy.

cww

Jan 28, 2010

There are some that are relatively easy. Most towns areas have an online selling area for locals, like Eldersburg Exchange or Sykesville Online, and there is Facebook market place. Meet them or porch pickup or meet at a storage place if you have one. The other is ask around if someone is an eBay seller. They get a cut and eBay gets a cut but 50% is better and easier than nothing. Also check out replacements.com for the glassware, figurines, dishes, etc.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I buy estate houses, loaded with someone's stuff.

Do me and your children a favor (I've had this conversation with my father many times) PLEASE go through your possessions now, thin them down, so when we finally have to go through them, we aren't so overwhelmed we just call in a dumpster, or 10 like I'll need for my fathers possessions in what is hopefully another 20 years.

This is a perfect time to thin the bull out of your lives!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I buy estate houses, loaded with someone's stuff.

Do me and your children a favor (I've had this conversation with my father many times) PLEASE go through your possessions now, thin them down, so when we finally have to go through them, we aren't so overwhelmed we just call in a dumpster, or 10 like I'll need for my fathers possessions in what is hopefully another 20 years.

This is a perfect time to thin the bull out of your lives!

This exactly. I had this chat with my daughter and she said chuck it all. That's what I did.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    You'll probably need 2 of them. Seriously. They fill up fast.

Can attest to that.

At first you think : "Wow, I'll never be able to fill this up"
    Then when it is full: "How the hell did we have this much crap"
    and then "Damn, I need another one"

Lessoned learned prior:

When I had to assist the MIL move out of her house, I thought it would be cheaper to haul it to the landfill myself. I made so many trips back and forth to the landfill, that I ended up spending just as much money and more time, labor, and sanity. Adding up the receipts, was over 3 tons of waste.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    When I got out of the army over 45 years ago I was living bed to bed, sometimes on the streets. I had to dump all the memorabilia I had collected while in the army. The only thing I regret was tossing all the pictures I had accumulated. I don't get attached to stuff. I am uncomfortable being tied down to anything. I never had kids so there was no accumulation there. My memories is about all I have. The lesson I learned was to be ready to bug out quickly with no baggage. Some of us just aren't wired for settling down. Right or wrong is a standard that somebody else places on people.

IndianaDAN

Mar 22, 2020
    Indiana, born-raised
    Interesting point on this subject, as I too have a similar situation with that type of depression.....Recently read an article, that focusing on the past, can actually become somewhat of an addiction....If you think about it, dwelling on the past, and mistakes you have made, can overwhelm you.....The article helped me, as it was so accurate as to what I was doing....Can't change the past.....Hope this is on subject with the main topic......Cheers. Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom