• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I currently have a remington 870 police edition, but I find that after 3 shoulder surgeries I can't take the kick. I have been reading that semi-auto shotguns divert some of the gas (ala AR-15) which reduces the kick. I figured I would try one before reducing the gauge to 20 gauge.

Suggestions on something that minimizes the kick and won't break the bank?

Thanks - stay COVID-19 free.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You might have trouble finding a shotgun just now with the craziness (for a normal price anyway).

Two things to consider: low recoil loads.

Or more seriously, dont you have an AR? Load it up with some Hornady Amax or critical duty for home defense. Much less recoil.

ETA: my 0.02 is gas or inertia shotguns do have less kick, but they can still make your shoulder sore. Buddy of mine with a shoulder problem took 3 shots from my shotgun (light loads too) and decided it wasnt for him.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    You might have trouble finding a shotgun just now with the craziness (for a normal price anyway).

Or more seriously, dont you have an AR? Load it up with some Hornady Amax or critical duty for home defense. Much less recoil.

ETA: my 0.02 is gas or inertia shotguns do have less kick, but they can still make your shoulder sore.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I'm not expecting to get another shotty any time soon because of the craziness, but like to start looking.

I have ARs and they are part of the home defense plan, but shotguns are so good with Buck shot at so many things.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

ETA: my 0.02 is gas or inertia shotguns do have less kick, but they can still make your shoulder sore. Buddy of mine with a shoulder problem took 3 shots from my shotgun (light loads too) and decided it wasnt for him.

I agree with the above. Try some low recoil buckshot ammo, and see how it goes. If it still hurts you, then 20 gauge won’t be that much different.
    As much, as I’m a shotgun for home defense kinda guy, with your Surgeries, you might want to consider a lower recoil option. A AR in 556, or a pistol caliber carbine, might just serve you well.
    Good luck, train well, and I hope you never have to use it for its intended Purpose.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I currently have a remington 870 police edition, but I find that after 3 shoulder surgeries I can't take the kick. I have been reading that semi-auto shotguns divert some of the gas (ala AR-15) which reduces the kick. I figured I would try one before reducing the gauge to 20 gauge.

Suggestions on something that minimizes the kick and won't break the bank?

Thanks - stay COVID-19 free.

I am very fond of my Beretta LE-1301 Tactical. It weighs 6.2lbs. Beretta claims that its BLINK gas operating system cycles 36% faster than any other shotgun on the market (it sure is fast) plus the blink system’s recoil is more of a hard slap across the face than a solid punch to the jaw.

It has an 18.5” barrel and with the tube extension I get 7+1. The mossberg stock adapter is sweet because you can add the magpul stock giving it the same OAL as your 870P but with 1 additional shell! That is an impressive amount of fire power in a 6.2lbs battle ready shotgun. If you want it to be multipurpose, then get the none LE version. It is identical to the LE except that it takes removable chokes. Let me know if you have questions.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    A semi-auto 12 gauge will certainty have more reduced recoil when compared to its pump action counterpart for a given load, but do you belive that the reduction in recoil is enough for you? The only semi-auto shotguns I've fired was one made by Mossberg, and a Remington 1187. To me the felt recoil from these semi-auto 12 gauges was about the same as a light weight (8 pounds) AR-10 with no muzzle brake; which is far more than the felt recoil from a AR-15.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    Benelli semi-auto shotguns are very expensive, but perhaps a used one might be in your budget.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Going from a pump to a semi will reduce the recoil, but it's still really harsh, managed recoil ammo is about as soft as it gets, and it's still a few times the recoil of an AR. By the numbers, standard velocity 9 pellet load will be around 27lb ft of recoil energy, a semi will spread that over about 25% more time compared to a pump. Managed recoil buck will be reduced to around 22lb-ft, 20ga is about 15(managed recoil) to 20 for full power loads. 5.56 from a carbine is about 4lb-ft, 9mm is about 2.5. Ditch the shotgun, use a carbine. No question 00 is effective, but there is a reason carbines are replacing shotguns in most every department and agency, fraction of the recoil, far easier to run, several times the capacity, and still effective, especially when penetrating armor or barriers is needed. Like doublestack autos basically relegating defensive revolvers to the safe, defensive carbines are superior to shotguns in nearly every way. I attended tac shotgun courses, used to rely on one for home defense a decade or two ago, still compete.with them, but shotguns belong in the safe, and a small AR belongs next to the bed.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    After about 100 yards most 'awesome' shotgun loads drop off in effective shot placement and power. Carbines obviously go a lot farther. Shooting in the house can be toss-up on which is more important for neighbors. Even hitting center mass with overpenetration can be unpleasant way to meet the neighbors.

Have you tried point-shooting a long gun from the hip? Depending on what type of shoulder injuries/fixes you have, this may be an option. Low recoil loads are nice too.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Going SA will help tame recoil vs other.

So, my personal favorite for me is my 1187, several. Lots of practice.

The only draw back of the 1187 and related 11xx is the ?feed latch release?. Reloading quickly take practice or aftermarket add on easier to work release.

Newer guns and including the v3 Remington, there isn’t a release. Just push. That makes the reloads easier, faster. They are good options. The mossberg jerry michulek SA looks interesting. And the various imports, the b’, and others.

The v3 has barrel options, but they’re expensive. It’s supposed to be the softest recoil going, all things considered. Also supposed to have a great warranty.

Sirex