• ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Option
    Option#B - AR or 9mm PCC

I have found that some of the 9mm PCC don't do well with hollow points. That being said, I think a 9mm PCC is easier to use than a standard handgun in a high stress scenario; just find the right ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    How can someone make a plan requiring a certain type of firearm at each step?

2 rounds from the shotgun, run to the corner for a pistol, then ultimately get the AR and make the stopping shot with that?

If part of your "plan" is to fight to go to another gun, then you are losing sight of the fight you are indeed in right at that crucial moment.

Your plan might consist of having that "special gun" in your final position of dominance. The gun that is part of your plan, typically would be the one you started the fight with.

I am so doing this, along with changing the alarm's obnoxious siren to "stand by-------BEEP"

I have a boring system, concealed handgun all day, little AR at night, although even less exciting is the fact that firearms are the last part of my home security plan, and the one I spend the least amount of time worrying about.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    Mossberg 590 Shockwave if you can find one
    available in 12 or 20 gauge...

here's a guy firing one in each hand:
    https://youtu.be/CxECBq-f68s

Attachments

• 23322_2.jpg
      23322_2.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 206

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I currently have a remington 870 police edition, but I find that after 3 shoulder surgeries I can't take the kick. I have been reading that semi-auto shotguns divert some of the gas (ala AR-15) which reduces the kick. I figured I would try one before reducing the gauge to 20 gauge.

Suggestions on something that minimizes the kick and won't break the bank?

Thanks - stay COVID-19 free.

Put a pistol grip on that 870, put on an 8 shot extension tube and spring, saw the barrel off to 18.5" (or install a slug barrel), load with the 2" 00 Buck shells and shoot from the hip. If you want to hunt deer with slugs, or birds, squirrel, etc. with shot, get a 20GA.

Last edited:

RandyR

Aug 9, 2018
    Well you have to look at your home environment, if neighbors are close and your field of possible fire will included their house, stay away from rifles and pistols. Even 22 Rimfire will go thru 4 layers of sheet rock. 6 to 8 Bird shot will not. Look at various YouTube videos on this subject. In the stressful situation your aim will be off. A Remington Versa Max is really an M4 Bennelli that the marines use. Also the Mossberg Jerry Miculek Semiautomatic shotgun is also good.
    Nothing in this email is meant to legal advise or how to defend yourself. Use at your own risk. In this day and age you have to protect yourself legally.

Last edited:

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Three surgeries on you shooting shoulder?

Your option is just purchase a handgun....that shoulder will become arthritic as you get older....not good. Just go in another direction or learn to be on the opposite shoulder.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Get a Taurus Judge in .410. You don't have to put it to your shoulder.

Attachments

• Taurus-Judge-Public-Defender-2-441021FDE-725327612360.jpg_1.jpg
      Taurus-Judge-Public-Defender-2-441021FDE-725327612360.jpg_1.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 218

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am so doing this, along with changing the alarm's obnoxious siren to "stand by-------BEEP"

I have a boring system, concealed handgun all day, little AR at night, although even less exciting is the fact that firearms are the last part of my home security plan, and the one I spend the least amount of time worrying about.

this times a million.

This is what a lot of the new gun owners we minted in the last 6 weeks dont understand either.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    With shoulder surgeries I would look at getting a 9MM carbine, an AR, or even a M1 Carbine reproduction with Hornady critical defense 30cal ammo.

bustem

Dec 31, 2012
    Consider the Mossberg 500 in .410 caliber with a laser. I know, it's too small, but is it? The police and FBI used a .40 cal pistol for years before they downsized to the 9mm. There are now self defense loads available that are very effective. The gun is inexpensive, reliable, small, easy to handle. Add a light and you have everything you need.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    "The Blackhawk Knoxx SpecOps Gen III Stock for the Remington 870 reduces felt recoil by up to 80%! Incorporating dual recoil-compensation systems, this rugged synthetic stock reduces muzzle rise and eliminates cheek-slap, too, resulting in improved shooter confidence."

BRIANtheBRAVE

Jun 20, 2013
    Sore Shotgun Shoulder

You want to talk about kick and pain ? Try a 9 inch barrel 12 gauge Subu Super Shorty ( also my wife's pet name). I found but hard to find, Remington Managed Recoil 5 packs, about $5. Only available in slugs or buckshot. HALF the Recoil, but 100 ft lbs more of energy and 100 fps faster. I can shoot that pistol grip all day now.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Thinking outside the box....but could you learn to shoot left handed? Use the good shoulder?

That wouldn't be ideal for competition marksmanship competitions. But for a 5 yard max range with a shotgun? I feel like you could learn to be accurate and efficient enough for home defense with that pretty quick

I had a problem with my right elbow a couple years ago that shooting aggravated. I started shooting handguns left handed, then long guns.
    RH bolt guns left handed are a bit of a challenge, but pump shotguns, except for loading, weren't a problem
    Now that my elbow is healed I still shoot my home defense weapons left handed as much as right, just because you never know if you'll need it.

DeanBurns

Thumper
    Sep 15, 2018
    KSG

I don’t have one yet but I am drooling over the KSG12. Short length, heavy on capacity, and reliability of a pump. Recoil is a function ofcwhat you feed her. I prefer lighter shot loads gor home defense for safety reasons.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Mossy Shockwave, with a Opsol Mini-Clip (An adaptor made in Texas) and Aguila mini-shells in either Buck or Slug. I'm 60, and have had shoulder issues of my own, but the Shockwave was really easy to get used to. I'm even good with Federal full power 00 Buck now.

Last edited:

Rmc

Aug 31, 2011
    Before you go to a smaller gauge, consider:

Federal, Remington and Winchester all offer 8 pellet low recoil twelve gauge 00B loads under various promotional names. All fire 8 pellets running approximately 50 grains each - that is 400 grains. Yes, all use reduced diameter 00B, averaging .323" in diameter. All of these loads are rated at 1145 fps from industry standard 30" test barrels. Actual velocities run in the 1060 to 1100 fps range from defensive and field length barrels. Yes, Federal's Flite-Control wad put tight patterns in the same sentence with cylinder bore. However, at "hallway" distances, say 30 feet, Remington and Winchester versions will indeed deliver "less than fist size" patterns.

Here is a site that will help you calculate actual recoil energy.

http://www.omahamarian.org/trap/shotshellenergy.html

Yes autoloaders and fixed breech shotguns - with all else equal - will deliver the same recoil impulse. However, autoloading shotgun actions, spread the recoil impulse over longer time - depending on the action type.

rfjtoys

Mar 9, 2011
    Kinda spendy but that aside Remington's V3 Tac-13 (American Rifleman Golden Bullseye Awards 2020 winner - page 70 May 2020) would seem to deserve a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom