• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catch

Nov 21, 2012
    It for real you can't get it. I moved to Morgantowm Wv. 10 miles out and you can't get

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    heck our home just outside of leesburg va doesn't have cable, dsl, fios or anything, have to use our cell phones as wifi hotspots.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    Internet coverage is a joke. They count stuff that doesn't actually function, like satellite based, as part of high speed availability. It's been 20 years since they said everyone would get dsl, and still nothing.

5g is looking to be the next great hope, but who knows when that will actually be available outside urban centers.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It will take a while, but Elon Musk's already started launching a constellation of (eventually) thousands low-earth-orbit satellites to provide - among other things - rural access. It's one of the things that's kept us from moving into an environment in which we'd much rather live.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    It will take a while, but Elon Musk's already started launching a constellation of (eventually) thousands low-earth-orbit satellites to provide - among other things - rural access. It's one of the things that's kept us from moving into an environment in which we'd much rather live.

The new Iridium Sats? I know they were put in orbit via SpaceX. Don't know how they will do as far as Internet. I had Hughes Sat for internet before I got cable,, If it was as cheap as cable I would still have them,,

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The new Iridium Sats? I know they were put in orbit via SpaceX. Don't know how they will do as far as Internet. I had Hughes Sat for internet before I got cable,, If it was as cheap as cable I would still have them,,

Musk’s project is wildly different from the Hughes legacy system. Thousands of satellites very close instead of a small number of geosynchronous ones very far away. Far better coverage, WAY less lag, and much, much cheaper per end user for actually usable amounts of monthly bandwidth. Whole different animal.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Musk’s project is wildly different from the Hughes legacy system. Thousands of satellites very close instead of a small number of geosynchronous ones very far away. Far better coverage, WAY less lag, and much, much cheaper per end user for actually usable amounts of monthly bandwidth. Whole different animal.

This assumes enrolling a large enough number of users to make the investment cost per user something less than the National Debt. He's probably counting on signing up a large portion of the entire world as subscribers. Even people in places with no electricity.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My SIL lives on the eastern side of the mountain backing the Appalachian Trail. No cellphone service. She has to use Comcast internet and has a landline phone. It’s there, just have to use what you have.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Is 10-20Mbps DSL available? It’s decent when you have no better alternative. Good enough for streaming (Hulu, Netflix, etc).

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    as the crow flys I'm about 35 miles from DC. You got it, have to use a hot spot for the internet.

For the folks that live in rural Charles county you will be glad to know that they are doing ANOTHER study on high speed internet access for us folks. As many studies as they have done they could have run cable to every house and saved money.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    as the crow flys I'm about 35 miles from DC. You got it, have to use a hot spot for the internet.

For the folks that live in rural Charles county you will be glad to know that they are doing ANOTHER study on high speed internet access for us folks. As many studies as they have done they could have run cable to every house and saved money.

Too bad they can’t do the same one they did in Baltimore and DC where people complained that their children couldn’t do their “homework” because either WiFi wasn’t available in their homes or apartments of it was too expensive. Suddenly WiFi relays were spouting up everyware. Because “it’s for the children”. Hell, I think I still have an AOL dialup cd somewhere in my house.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

But then their consultant sons- and daughters-in-law would have to get a real job...

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Iridium NEXT is not meant for consumer broadband services.

OneWeb and Starlink (Elon Musk's project) are both being developed and deployed right now. It will be at least a couple of more years before commercial service starts, though. Both systems are on lower orbits, and network latency should be better than HughesNet and other GEO satellites. However, available bandwidth per user depends on lots of factors, primarily the subscription ratio. Given the huge initial investment that they must make to launch satellite constellations, I don't think they will cap the number of subscribers until congestion becomes a real pain in you know where.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Pretty lucky that I live next to a TV station serviced by CityNet. Called them up and they extended fiber optic to my place for 100x100 service and cable tv. It’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom