• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Grow up. This is a real question about how one can actually buy a legal and approved firearm that comes standard with larger mags. In a LGS, they will pin or block them. So this isn’t anything strange. Or illegal. This is a discussion about how to do this same thing when the LGS doesn’t have (or can’t get) the model in stock. Those that keep saying “the first rule...” are implying doing something that shouldn’t be discussed. Perhaps illegal. And that’s NOT what this thread was about. If you want to giggle like school girls and talk about how to illegally get larger mags, take that discussion somewhere else. And grow up. This is an above the board discussion, meant for adults. It’s a perfectly acceptable discussion for an open forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well, everyone talks about their "boating accidents".......how is that different?

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Go to a gun show . Chantilly , if they ever open again . Buy the gun , have them give you the mags and have them ship the gun only to your FFL . Guns at VA shows are quite a bit less than in MD , even after you've had them ship it to your FFL and your FFL charges you an uplift . Any difference is still less than buying 2 standard cap mags out of Md .

This surely violate MDSP advisory LD-FRU-17-010, and get the dealer at the VA show in trouble with Maryland.

See https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat.../10-16-2017 LD-FRU-17-010 Detachable Mags.pdf

I don't know how the MSDP would practically go after a VA dealer at at VA show who did this, because they can't threaten the dealers VA state issued dealer license, but they could definitely cause hassle if they wanted to, and the smart money doesn't want to get hassled.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    That’s an interesting approach. Hadn’t thought about that angle. If the prices really are lower so that you don’t take a bath on the transfer fees, that would be a good way to handle it. If this virus ever goes away...

Interesting approach? You make it sound like a novel idea. It actually makes the most sense. You purchase the gun at an out of state dealer in person (doesn’t have to be a gun show). They hand you the mags and ship and the firearm to your FFL. You now own standard size magazines for the firearm you purchased. So what if you pay another $50 or so in shipping and transfer fees. It’s still cheaper than purchasing standard size magazines to replace the ridiculous 10 rounders.

Some FFL’s give discounted transfer fees to MDS members. Also your response to “first rule” is off base when it comes to an open forum. More than once this forum has taught the opposition how to toughen their infringements upon our rights.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    This surely violate MDSP advisory LD-FRU-17-010, and get the dealer at the VA show in trouble with Maryland.

See https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat.../10-16-2017 LD-FRU-17-010 Detachable Mags.pdf

I don't know how the MSDP would practically go after a VA dealer at at VA show who did this, because they can't threaten the dealers VA state issued dealer license, but they could definitely cause hassle if they wanted to, and the smart money doesn't want to get hassled.

A court challenge would show that Maryland cannot impose laws upon residents of other states while outside of Maryland boundaries. Virginia businesses operating in Virginia are not bound by Maryland law. Imagine if California laws applied to all other states.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Interesting approach? You make it sound like a novel idea. It actually makes the most sense. You purchase the gun at an out of state dealer in person (doesn’t have to be a gun show). They hand you the mags and ship and the firearm to your FFL. You now own standard size magazines for the firearm you purchased. So what if you pay another $50 or so in shipping and transfer fees. It’s still cheaper than purchasing standard size magazines to replace the ridiculous 10 rounders.

Some FFL’s give discounted transfer fees to MDS members. Also your response to “first rule” is off base when it comes to an open forum. More than once this forum has taught the opposition how to toughen their infringements upon our rights.

It IS a novel idea if, say, it’s someone relatively new in their knowledge. Not everyone is a crotchety old know it all. News flash: some people use forums to ask questions and learn, not just to whine about the legislature.

My response to the first rule was spot on. I was asking how to conduct a legal transaction of an approved firearm. Some of you guys want to throw around the “first rule” stuff like I was trying to do, or talk about, something wrong or illegal. Nothing could be further from the truth. As my Dad always taught me, “If you’re not doing something wrong, don’t look like it”. Being coy with comments about “first rule” sure look like it. And by the way, the first rule is about concealed carry. Get your cliches straight.

Now, how about you be you and let me be me. When I don’t know something, I’ll continue to ask above-the-board, honest questions in an attempt to gain further knowledge. You would be well served by not assuming others are up to no good or trying to circumvent laws, unless you know otherwise for a fact.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    A court challenge would show that Maryland cannot impose laws upon residents of other states while outside of Maryland boundaries. Virginia businesses operating in Virginia are not bound by Maryland law. Imagine if California laws applied to all other states.

https://www.sfcityattorney.org/2017...ing-state-law-high-capacity-ammo-repair-kits/

San Francisco sued (in california) OUT OF STATE parts suppliers who were selling complete but disassembled large-capacity magazines as “repair kits” to customers in California and San Francisco.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It IS a novel idea if, say, it’s someone relatively new in their knowledge. Not everyone is a crotchety old know it all. News flash: some people use forums to ask questions and learn, not just to whine about the legislature.

My response to the first rule was spot on. I was asking how to conduct a legal transaction of an approved firearm. Some of you guys want to throw around the “first rule” stuff like I was trying to do, or talk about, something wrong or illegal. Nothing could be further from the truth. As my Dad always taught me, “If you’re not doing something wrong, don’t look like it”. Being coy with comments about “first rule” sure look like it. And by the way, the first rule is about concealed carry. Get your cliches straight.

Now, how about you be you and let me be me. When I don’t know something, I’ll continue to ask above-the-board, honest questions in an attempt to gain further knowledge. You would be well served by not assuming others are up to no good or trying to circumvent laws, unless you know otherwise for a fact.

You're new here, aren't ya?

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    https://www.sfcityattorney.org/2017...ing-state-law-high-capacity-ammo-repair-kits/

San Francisco sued (in california) OUT OF STATE parts suppliers who were selling complete but disassembled large-capacity magazines as “repair kits” to customers in California and San Francisco.

Good god. From the link. A round from 1 magazine that holds 10 rounds that hits you would not make a difference in damage vs a magazine with a different amount. The magazine does not make the gun more or less lethal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200723-235121~2.png
      Screenshot_20200723-235121~2.png
      5 KB · Views: 676

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hang out here long enough, that'll change. It's contagious. :)

Doubt it. I may be a lot of things. But a lemming isn’t one of them. The minute you cede personal thought for the party line, you’re no better than the mindless lemmings on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom