• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm going to bring back the butter debate. My wife wanted to have butter bread with her spaghetti tonight and this is what we found. I've never seen butter look like this before, but I'm guessing it's starting to go rancid even though it didn't smell spoiled or bad. We don't eat butter bread or toast that often so this has been in the covered butter dish on the table or counter for the better part of a month.
    I like to experiment and see how far I can push the envelope with my food so I dug out the center that looked normal and spread it on 1/2 slice of bread then scraped the funky looking part from the top and sides to put on the other 1/2. The funky part tasted a bit 'off' but not bad or unpleasant. The center tasted like it looked, normal.
    If it doesn't give me belly problems tonight I'll put it in a skillet tomorrow morning to fry some eggs up and see if smells or tastes different.

Attachments

• 20200822_194214.jpg
      20200822_194214.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 519

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Got another pound of yeast, some more cheese ncentrsted bleach and some dry goods And flour from the Amish grocery store to pad the pantry

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I’ll circle back with everyone who is interested, including any of my Homebrew club members who are not on MDS, in about a week, so I can gauge the overall interest and make a phone call to Dutch Gold.

Last call for bulk honey orders. I will call in the final order tomorrow (Tuesday) after lunch, and will pre-pay for it. I anticipate driving to Lancaster on Friday to pick it up. Once I have picked up the order, I will send PMs with payment info to whomever has requested a pail.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Chicken prices are all over the place right now.

They are ranging from $1.49/lb to almost $9.00/lb in the same store, depending on cut, boneless or not, and how "clean" it says it is.

I picked up a freezer full of boneless chicken thighs for $1.99/lb. That's some fine eating right there.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Chicken prices are all over the place right now.

They are ranging from $1.49/lb to almost $9.00/lb in the same store, depending on cut, boneless or not, and how "clean" it says it is.

I picked up a freezer full of boneless chicken thighs for $1.99/lb. That's some fine eating right there.

Bone in bulk chicken thighs are .99 per pound at our BJs.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    20 pounds of dried pasta, 16 x cans of San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes, 28 Ounce.
    Love me some pasta

Beware acidic foods in cans...prolly good forever like most canned stuff but lots of warnings about things like pineapple and tomatoes

At a minimum, I think they’d have a shorter shelf life than non acidic.

OTOH, May only need to last through the first eight months of Trumps re-election or better still, 5 minutes out of 2020

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yes, if SHTF grocery stores will be empty in two days and not restocked. If not resolved, the first month would claim most of the deaths as people would turn on each other. FEMA couldn't handle that and even the US military couldn't stabilize 150 million people on all the coast lines with no food near them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, if SHTF grocery stores will be empty in two days and not restocked. If not resolved, the first month would claim most of the deaths as people would turn on each other. FEMA couldn't handle that and even the US military couldn't stabilize 150 million people on all the coast lines with no food near them.

I doubt it. At least all other examples in the rest of the world famine ends up causing a lot more deaths than wars and murder caused by famine.

Most people don't have it in them to attack someone for food, even if they are starving to death (and often too weak by the time they'd seriously consider it). Most of the deaths would be around the month 3-4 range. Figuring most people have at least a little food, maybe a little more now than before the pandemic started (though some are less food secure now. So not sure what the balance is there). Also trying to take in to account I think most Americans are considered obese now. So it would take them a lot longer to starve than someone who was already underweight from poor nutrition.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Picked up a hydroponic solar grow system with lights....grow your own....
    also another case of tp and 25 lbs of rice.....can never have enough

I've been starting Kraty grow setup. First head of lettuce did okay, but messed some stuff up and its wilting now after being pretty much ready for harvest. Too much Epsom salt in the nutrient mix. I need to test the PH, but it should be in the range for lettuce from what I know my base house water PH is. Shouldn't be too warm. Its 75F in my basement all summer.

Finally got the 2nd one to start (was too warm to germinate till I put a few seeds in a plastic bag with moist paper towel in my under porch storage room that stays about 3-4F cooler than my basement as a whole.

Its doing well. About to pitch the first one and start another. First one was a rocky mountain lettuce mix. Trying butter crunch now. I'll probably try a spinach in another two or three attempts. The garden is great, but doesn't work after the frost. Also looking to build a green house, but unlikely to heat it. Mostly going to use it to start seeds sooner and save some power while at it (we started a lot of stuff pretty early this year, but ended up spending April alternating between our garage under grow lights and out in the garden during the day). That and probably grow some dwarf/potted fruit trees that wouldn't survive otherwise (fig tree, might grow a hardier citrus or two in there).

Anyway, I'd like to be able to run up one per week to 10 days. Hopefully net a salad out of each. Or at least a small salad. I've got good natural light in one my basement windows through the winter. About 2-3hrs of direct sun and 1-2hrs of indirect, but bright sun (could manage 3-5hrs of direct sun, if I didn't mind sitting there moving the plants around as the sun is moving). That should be a nice supplement to grow lights.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Had to take a trip to the Dentist yesterday and there's a SAM's close to his office so I grabbed TP , Rice , a flat of Spam , They had gloves and masks so I got my limit of one of each , From there I hit both LGS and managed to get a brick of Remington 22 LR.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Love me some pasta

Beware acidic foods in cans...prolly good forever like most canned stuff but lots of warnings about things like pineapple and tomatoes

At a minimum, I think they’d have a shorter shelf life than non acidic.

OTOH, May only need to last through the first eight months of Trumps re-election or better still, 5 minutes out of 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom