• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I have a Fort Knox Maverick 6026 gun safe with room for 8 rifles on one side and shelves on the other. It's got mirrors inside with a redundant electronic + manual lock on the front. Does this thing really weigh 500-600lbs? I tried to lift the door off and it seemed quite heavy. I am planning on moving to California, but what's the best way to do that? Can one person get it down stairs with a handcart? Is it worth taking at this point if I am putting it in a PODs box? Are there places/people that buy used safes? What do they go for used? Appreciate any tips you guys have on this thing.

*Update* Steve's Services called me back, purchased it, and hauled it away without any problems using his stair climbing machine. Very professional as I remembered laying down cardboard/plywood and covering the safe in a custom fitted cardboard box before moving it outside.

Last edited:

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have a Fort Knox Maverick 6026 gun safe with room for 8 rifles on one side and shelves on the other. It's got mirrors inside with a redundant electronic + manual lock on the front. Does this thing really weigh 500-600lbs?

Assuming you got the 500-600lb number from Ft. Knox website it probably does actually weigh that much.

Can one person get it down stairs with a handcart? Is it worth taking at this point if I am putting it in a PODs box? Are there places/people that buy used safes? What do they go for used? Appreciate any tips you guys have on this thing.

I wouldn't risk trying to take it down any stairs by yourself at that weight. If you were just moving it a short distance without stairs it's doable but adding stairs with anything heavy is a nightmare to do alone.

I assume you're taking your guns to California. You're going to need a safe there. You might as well take it with you unless you want to buy a bigger safe.

People do buy used safes. You could try here in the classifieds or on Craigslist. As far as price I have no clue hopefully someone else will chime in with some helpful info.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    two strong people could move it if you take the door off and use the appliance moving straps that utilize your shoulders. It still won't be easy. Two movers moved mine without the straps. Strong dudes. I slid mine down my steps with help.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Mdeng delivered, unloaded, maneuvered into my basement (OK, only one step down) a 750 pound Champion gun safe, by himself.

Needless to say, I was incredibly impressed.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    Are pods boxes based on weight or just whatever you can fit? If it is weight, than you should probably sell it here or on CL (cost would be high based on weight?). Then just buy a new one in Cali. I think the maverick is their entry level ... it is probably light enough for a couple of guys to do it and especially w the door off to sell "used". some of their safes are over 1000 pounds or more, and a professional service might be warranted. I guess the point is that it is light enough where you can sell it locally.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    When I moved, I had a moving company move it up the stairs and they were able to do it without any problems, but I guess you are right that I shouldn't trust myself to do that. I guess I would need to sell to someone that would be willing to have a Safe company deliver it to their house unless they were a professional. Sold all my guns because I heard California laws are a pain, so I'll have to start all over again over there :/

I believe PODs boxes are by size (but I think they may have some kind of weight limit). My concern was that if it moved around, it would start crushing everything else inside.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Two men and one of these should get the job done quite easily.

appliance-truck-230076.jpg

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Good luck with the move.

I’d prefer mailing to shipping if it’s all the same to you...USPS is not one of my favorite outfits right now.

Honestly, I don’t know where I’d put another safe. I’ve become a gun locker kind of guy.

Now for straight stuff...moving it yourself is not prudent imo. Paying to have it moved is likely gonna be a loser too unless you have a big shipment.

I second the classified here or Craig’s List.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It would probably be cheaper to sell the safe here and buy a new bigger safe in California. Unless you UHaul, shipping is going to cost you more than selling.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    It would probably be cheaper to sell the safe here and buy a new bigger safe in California. Unless you UHaul, shipping is going to cost you more than selling.

I'll buy it and move it out without damaging the walls for the right price

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ******Sell it. It's not a big safe but it's heavy enough to be a big pain moving it to California. Also, unless you know what you are doing, don't even think of moving a safe like that up or down stairs alone. That is not a high end safe and will cost you enough where it might be better to sell it here, and use the proceeds to buy something out there that's perhaps bigger and you can plan for size and moving it to whatever spot it ends up with, etc...

Much like saying "That's too much bacon", very few people ever say "I bought too much safe". They fill up fast.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I bought a similar size & weight Liberty safe a few years back. It was heavy as hell and quite a pain to move from the sellers house to mine. That being said, myself, two willing friends and an appliance hand truck got it done.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    I have a Fort Knox Maverick 6026 gun safe with room for 8 rifles on one side and shelves on the other. It's got mirrors inside with a redundant electronic + manual lock on the front. Does this thing really weigh 500-600lbs? I tried to lift the door off and it seemed quite heavy. I am planning on moving to California, but what's the best way to do that? Can one person get it down stairs with a handcart? Is it worth taking at this point if I am putting it in a PODs box? Are there places/people that buy used safes? What do they go for used? Appreciate any tips you guys have on this thing.

How did you get it in its current location?

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I'll need a safe for the fires lol! It might be better to sell and then get a new custom sized one when I get there. Eventually I'll get back in the game so I'll need something to store those as well. It got in the current location when I came back here from overseas and had the movers move it upstairs instead. I'm going to miss it though...that big Fort Knox sticker sure does make a statement!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom