• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    We have a small safe to keep some guns and ammo in. What are the best ways to keep it dry in there?
    Thanks
    Mike

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    my safe has a small hole in the back for an electric cord.
    it is used for a heating element. i dont have a link at the moment, mine came with the heating element.
    it is a great investment, keeps the humidity out and all of the paper products inside nice and dry.

If yours has the hole in the back, I would recommend the safe heater.

D

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• 2315A2AF-C085-496D-B7DB-B946A1C8CF07.jpeg
      2315A2AF-C085-496D-B7DB-B946A1C8CF07.jpeg
      62.7 KB · Views: 772
    • 57F0DDFC-AEF0-4672-B23B-4A29A0E57F05.jpeg
      57F0DDFC-AEF0-4672-B23B-4A29A0E57F05.jpeg
      7.9 KB · Views: 770
    • 3B27F9EA-50C1-46FA-AEBA-4F0B9603CD16.jpeg
      3B27F9EA-50C1-46FA-AEBA-4F0B9603CD16.jpeg
      19 KB · Views: 764

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    +1 for the golden rod. I thought about the desiccants but you have to refresh them in the oven or by other means fairly regularly for them to work best. I don’t need another thing that I have to remember to do.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    A short strand of white Christmas lights will work. Has the added bonus of illuminating the inside so you can see when the door is open. Costs a LOT less too!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Hole

my safe has a small hole in the back for an electric cord.
    it is used for a heating element. i dont have a link at the moment, mine came with the heating element.
    it is a great investment, keeps the humidity out and all of the paper products inside nice and dry.

If yours has the hole in the back, I would recommend the safe heater.

D

My safe had a hole put in and the vendor put in a goldenrod for me

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I've always questioned the use of dessicants as it would seem to me they not only absorb moisture within an area but once that's accomplished, also "draw" moisture into the same space . . .

MUCH prefer the goldenrod (and suppose the Christmas light idea works, as long as the lights are in the bottom 1/2 of the space - the beauty of the goldenrod is the "convection" it establishes after being on awhile and in the lower portion of an enclosed space ...)

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    A short strand of white Christmas lights will work. Has the added bonus of illuminating the inside so you can see when the door is open. Costs a LOT less too!
    Only if they are incandescent and not LEDs. (Or maybe terribly inefficient LEDs would work.)

GoldenRods are just heaters (18" is 18 Watts) in a convenient package that raise the temperature inside the safe slightly, which decreases the relative humidity. It doesn't actually remove any moisture. That said, the principle is sound and they do work.

So for a Christmas light string to work, it has to draw at least 18 Watts to have the same effect.

Found this little chart of Wattage vs. size. Lights strings must draw the equivalent Watts:

GoldenRod, 12" - 8 W
    GoldenRod, 18" - 18 W
    GoldenRod, 24" - 25 W
    GoldenRod, 36" - 38 W

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Only if they are incandescent and not LEDs. (Or maybe terribly inefficient LEDs would work.)

GoldenRods are just heaters (18" is 18 Watts) in a convenient package that raise the temperature inside the safe slightly, which decreases the relative humidity. It doesn't actually remove any moisture. That said, the principle is sound and they do work.

So for a Christmas light string to work, it has to draw at least 18 Watts to have the same effect.

Found this little chart of Wattage vs. size. Lights strings must draw the equivalent Watts:

GoldenRod, 12" - 8 W
    GoldenRod, 18" - 18 W
    GoldenRod, 24" - 25 W
    GoldenRod, 36" - 38 W

Add to that a string of Christmas lights would last about 6mos and need to be replaced. Hopefully not sooner and are inspected often before opening the safe up to a moldy corroded mess because you wanted to save $20

Also heaters create a “current” of heated air flowing from the bottom of the door to the top, pulling out moisture as it goes. Make sure that mass of Christmas lights are all laying on the floor of the safe to create that flow, now you’ve created a forking mess

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom