• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Are the Manufacturers listed specifications (FPS & FPE) comparable between different brands? Or are are they like auto tire tread wear ratings (lacking any standards)?

Backstory: I bought a Hatson Edge .22 break barrel crack (err, air rifle)for $49. It is listed at 800FPS (lead) and 21 FPE. Been shooting it in my backyard and really enjoy the nearly noiseless practice. I have been hounding some groundhogs(8lbs +) with some H&N Hornet ammo and would like more stopping power.

In another thread here a Benjamin Fortitude PCP was recommended, but the specs listed (800 FPS, 23 FPE) are similar to my Hatsun Break barrel. I thought a PCP should have more Energy?

What am I missing?

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    With a PCP it's a bit more complicated because you have some control over the power. If you want more energy for a hunt you can crank down on the hammer spring, when you get to the range you can loosen it to increase the shot count. The stock 'tune' of some guns lean more or less in either direction.

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    Also, there are no standards and many of them outright lie. Most manufacturers lists FPS with 'lead-free' ultra-light pellets. Most tests I've seen even with the lightest pellet on the market didn't reach what the manufacturer suggested.

I've found the same thing with motorcycles. If you actually want to find out how much a bike weighs/how much HP it makes, you go to a forum and try to find a consesus among a bunch of people who have done real world tests.

It's annoying but you have to take manufacturer specs with a grain of salt. We're fortunate in the air gun world to have copious youtube reviewers with good tests. Chronys are pretty cheap these days.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Are the Manufacturers listed specifications (FPS & FPE) comparable between different brands? Or are are they like auto tire tread wear ratings (lacking any standards)?

Backstory: I bought a Hatson Edge .22 break barrel crack (err, air rifle)for $49. It is listed at 800FPS (lead) and 21 FPE. Been shooting it in my backyard and really enjoy the nearly noiseless practice. I have been hounding some groundhogs(8lbs +) with some H&N Hornet ammo and would like more stopping power.

In another thread here a Benjamin Fortitude PCP was recommended, but the specs listed (800 FPS, 23 FPE) are similar to my Hatsun Break barrel. I thought a PCP should have more Energy?

What am I missing?

FPE or kinetic energy is a calculation based on mass and velocity. A 23gr projectile going 800fps will have more energy than a 21gr projectile going at 800fps. Manufacturer's listed FPS rating for air guns are usually exaggerated and completely dependent on the projectile being fired.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a Caldwell Chrono and it works pretty well in decent light. It has an app that works with most mobile phones and keeps a log of velocities and calculated SDs, spreads etc. I think mine was $79 on sale with a $20 Amazon tripod. Buy extra 9V batteries, I always forget to turn mine off.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Got it. A "general" indication of power, but not to be compared in real life. I will continue my research for something quiet to knock down under 20lb varmints. The Crosman CVH22RDNS-WX .22-Caliber Valiant Wood Nitro Piston Elite Powered Break Barrel Air Rifle With 4 x 32mm Scope seems to be significantly more powerful at a decent price point. My guess is I will end up with a PCP. (But would like to avoid the whole pump thing)

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    I'm moving on to PCPs and looking to sell my Benjamin Trail Nitro Elite in .22. It's quiet and puts out enough energy to take most small game.

https://www.crosman.com/trailtm-np-elite-stealth-wood-22

It has a 'spring air rifle rated' UTG scope:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNKUJ5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the Mcarbo trigger kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfMs_RL_-1Q&t=300s&ab_channel=MCARBO

20200626_154200-X4.jpg

I bought it earlier this year. It's got me hooked on air guns so I invested in a compressor. I've got a little over 2000 rounds through it. Nothing wrong with it. I'd let it go with the scope for $250.

I can shoot it over a chrony and get you a real world number on the FPE if you want. Honestly I doubt it'll be much more than what you've got already but at least you'll know.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Got it. A "general" indication of power, but not to be compared in real life. I will continue my research for something quiet to knock down under 20lb varmints. The Crosman CVH22RDNS-WX .22-Caliber Valiant Wood Nitro Piston Elite Powered Break Barrel Air Rifle With 4 x 32mm Scope seems to be significantly more powerful at a decent price point. My guess is I will end up with a PCP. (But would like to avoid the whole pump thing)

I have something similar the the Crossman, Benjamin Mayhem NP2 in .22. With crosman premier 14.3 I was getting significantly less than the rated fpe and fps when I tested it. Works good on tree rats and raccoons. It would probably work on groundhogs if you can get a good heart/lung shot. But if ground hogs are your primary target you could step up to a large bore PCP.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    My groundhogs are well fed. I'm likely are going to go the route of a PCP. I never been a "just enough" power kind of guy. Besides, once you break $200 in spending, you are almost halfway to a budget PCP setup. (I hope).

Thanks for the offers though.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm moving on to PCPs and looking to sell my Benjamin Trail Nitro Elite in .22. It's quiet and puts out enough energy to take most small game.

https://www.crosman.com/trailtm-np-elite-stealth-wood-22

It has a 'spring air rifle rated' UTG scope:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNKUJ5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the Mcarbo trigger kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfMs_RL_-1Q&t=300s&ab_channel=MCARBO

20200626_154200-X4.jpg

I bought it earlier this year. It's got me hooked on air guns so I invested in a compressor. I've got a little over 2000 rounds through it. Nothing wrong with it. I'd let it go with the scope for $250.

I can shoot it over a chrony and get you a real world number on the FPE if you want. Honestly I doubt it'll be much more than what you've got already but at least you'll know.

Very tempting

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom