• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I know will make some of you mad/jealous. Boy am I glad I got my last gun (Sig 229) before all this long time for paperwork BS hit. It took exactly seven days in early Dec.

:mad54:

I bought a Colt LE6920 and a PSA AR15 lower the day after the election, and it was a 7 day wait for each. I ran across a Glock 30 (which was on my wish list) on 1/19 and I'm still waiting. I have plenty of guns already, and it's not like ammo is easy to find, so the delay itself is not a problem for me. Still, if a background check was valid for 6 months, much of this backlog would be eliminated.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I thought that too, until I learned a little about their process.

Apparently there are officers and civilians doing the processing. Their goal is to get DISAPPROVED out within 7 days. That implies that any that look good are 2nd priority.

Next, apparently there is a policy that if a civilian gets one that requires additional research, then those go to an officer for processing. It may be safe to assume that this officer already has their own stack to process, so the transferred one could be delayed.

My understanding is that for any give day applications from a week or more may be sent out - all depending on where in the process they were give the NOT DISAPPROVED.

Now add in that they had Fax trouble, had to put two new Fax machines on-line, and installed new computers that they may need to get used to and you have more factors to slow things down. I was totally against, but now that I know more about the process and that they are receiving 350 applications per day, I have to stand with them and continue to be patient.

My date is 1/16. I understand that apps from the 16th were started last Wednesday or Thursday and that those will be coming out over the next week. Seeing that Monday is a Holiday, I don't think much will be done that day.

I am not in the process, but just paying talking to lots of folks and I've put four guns into the system over the last 8 weeks. I had heard estimates of 5 weeks and it looks like well hit that this week, unfortunately.

New trainees should be in the process in about three weeks, so that should help. Although gun inventories are down in stores, sales must still be high since guns are coming in and the app count remains high.

soo the prohibited buyers already got their answer and us not disapproved applicants are 2ndly prioritized and will recieve a call this week?

ImplantrepM5

Jan 14, 2013
    The answer is for FFL to stand up and write on forms for both federal and state that the wait has exceeded the required waiting period with no answer. You realize that if we put up with this 60 days will be the new wait time in MD. The way I read the law it was written with a provision for FFL to have discretionary ability to issue the firearm. Otherwise the state can understaff the office and it would take years to get a firearm. The gun grabbers know there is more than one way to skin a cat. The law was written to prevent this but it is being ignored.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    soo the prohibited buyers already got their answer and us not disapproved applicants are 2ndly prioritized and will recieve a call this week?

It's apparently a quick pre-screen to weed out the ones that will be an obvious DISAPPROVED. This makes certain that guns arent released to unauthorized buyers and makes the entire process a little quicker since they dont do a full screening on every single app. Those that aren't obvious are then processed for the NOT DISAPPROVED.

Disapproved apps are on the rise. If you know you aren't good to go, why not try to sneak one through when the system is over taxed and people are rushing? They know this is going on and are trying to make sure they catch every illegal purchase. At least that's my understanding.

There was an equipment failure with a Fax around the 12th I believe. When the FFL resubmits, they have been told to annotate it as a resubmission for priority processing.

There are also a ton of people calling and emailing to check status. It could take time away from processing to handle each call and look up status to respond to each e-mail.

From what I've been seeing, 16th and 17th were started last Wednesday and will be coming out during this week. Like they told me at On Target, if you just plan to wait 5 weeks then you'll be fine. If you haven't heard anything in 5 weeks, that's when you start calling.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    My wife just did paper work last week, shop owner said plan on six weeks!!! I did paper work 1-4-13 it only took 3 weeks....

Is there a way to ck with MSP to see when your paper work is in the system?? e-mail?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    My wife just did paper work last week, shop owner said plan on six weeks!!! I did paper work 1-4-13 it only took 3 weeks....

This is part of the problem, we are ALL too lackadaisical about all of this. "Only" and 3 WEEKS shouldn't go together in one sentence.

WTF is so special about Maryland? Do they not see how it's done *(safely) in PA, VA, DE and dozens of other States?

It should be less than 30 MINUTES........FLAT,.....PERIOD.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    It's apparently a quick pre-screen to weed out the ones that will be an obvious DISAPPROVED. This makes certain that guns arent released to unauthorized buyers and makes the entire process a little quicker since they dont do a full screening on every single app. Those that aren't obvious are then processed for the NOT DISAPPROVED.

Disapproved apps are on the rise. If you know you aren't good to go, why not try to sneak one through when the system is over taxed and people are rushing? They know this is going on and are trying to make sure they catch every illegal purchase. At least that's my understanding.

There was an equipment failure with a Fax around the 12th I believe. When the FFL resubmits, they have been told to annotate it as a resubmission for priority processing.

There are also a ton of people calling and emailing to check status. It could take time away from processing to handle each call and look up status to respond to each e-mail.

From what I've been seeing, 16th and 17th were started last Wednesday and will be coming out during this week. Like they told me at On Target, if you just plan to wait 5 weeks then you'll be fine. If you haven't heard anything in 5 weeks, that's when you start calling.

got cha.....i think i waited 30 business days so far emailed MSP saturday received an email yesterday saying that my application has been processed and completed i'm the 16th soo praying that my day will be tomorrow

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    This is part of the problem, we are ALL too lackadaisical about all of this. "Only" and 3 WEEKS shouldn't go together in one sentence.

WTF is so special about Maryland? Do they not see how it's done *(safely) in PA, VA, DE and dozens of other States?

It should be less than 30 MINUTES........FLAT,.....PERIOD.

I sure as hell was not happy about the three weeks, but it was better than six.

I agree that MD is B.S.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I know will make some of you mad/jealous. Boy am I glad I got my last gun (Sig 229) before all this long time for paperwork BS hit. It took exactly seven days in early Dec.

:mad54:
    So you haven't bought a new gun in two months? No one's jealous of that. :P: :sarcasm:

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I jealous of all you guys that have paperwork submitted. I just ordered a 1911 from Joebob's and waiting for it to ship. You guys will all be shooting before my paperwork comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom