• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Hey everyone. Have you ever struggled to remember how your guns are shooting? Does the bullet drop 2" at 100 yards or 4"? How big was my group with the cheap ammunition? Does my bow hit 3" to the left or 3" to the right? I'm an independent Android developer that got sick of constantly forgetting that sort of stuff. So, naturally, I wrote an app. Gun Range Logger solves these problems by storing all of this information in a simple and elegant interface. The user selects the guns used on a given target, takes a picture of the target, records the date that the target was shot, and writes down any notes. Then the target is stored permanently on the phone for future reference, along with the rest of his/her targets. Future updates will include the ability to share entries via social media as well as the inclusion of any features that are requested by users, so speak up. An iPhone version will happen if the Android version does well.

And here's the link to download the free Android app. If you like it the best thing you can do at this point is leave a stellar (unfortunately, pun intended) review.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joshsouders.gunrangelogger

I'll be in the thread if anyone has questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-29-12-51-25.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-12-51-25.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 454
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-12-51-38.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-12-51-38.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 458
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-17.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-17.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 446
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-24.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-24.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 450
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-36.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-49-36.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 446
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-50-02.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-50-02.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 451
    • Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-50-10.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-09-29-09-50-10.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 450

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Nice, perhaps you can add to the app to help us reloaders. It would be great to have an app that included load information, chrono readings, temp, humidity.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Nice, perhaps you can add to the app to help us reloaders. It would be great to have an app that included load information, chrono readings, temp, humidity.

I was thinking about adding that as an "advanced mode" but instead I opted to release early, get comments, and release an updated version. That's a ton of database work involved in that so if there's sufficient interest I'll definitely do it.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This is a great idea. I often take pics of my targets and record notes in my phone but this is much easier. Any plans for an iPhone app?

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    If there's enough interest I'll do an Apple version, basically what happened is that to post to the Google Play store there's a one time developer fee of $25 which I paid years ago. To post to the Apple store there's a $99/year fee. It'd have to make sense for me financially but if there's interest or if I want to expand into iOS for resume reasons I'll definitely do Apple.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Installing now.
    We will see. Now I have an excuse to go to the range.

Honey, I need to go shooting to test my phone. (If I just confuse the wife enough she gives in... Her head starts to hurt trying to understand me.)

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I installed on my LG G3. For some reason it put two icons for the app on my phone. One works the other does not.

Thank you for letting me know, looks like an error on my end. I've fixed it and pushed an update to the Google Play Store, the updates take a couple hours to go through so it should be updated and fixed by the end of today. It's one of those things where no matter how much I test the app before releasing there's going to always be a bug or two. At least I took care of this one early.

Installing now.
    We will see. Now I have an excuse to go to the range.

Honey, I need to go shooting to test my phone. (If I just confuse the wife enough she gives in... Her head starts to hurt trying to understand me.)

Yeah, sounds like a good excuse. Mine normally aren't as good as that.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Wow! This looks great. Will really help me track my progress.

Thanks for doing this. I've been keeping all my targets (only four so far) but now I can get rid of them.

To be honest the real behind-the-scenes story was that I was in the woods hunting one night and I forgot whether my bow shot 3" to the left or 3" to the right. I had to shoot an arrow just to figure it out because missing the vitals by 6" because I can't remember stuff didn't seem like the right thing to do. But I figured there had to be a better way, except I looked on the Google Play Store and there wasn't a better way. So I made one in the form of this app. Which is awesome, from my perspective, because I was able to make this exactly the way I wanted it to be made and in a way I'm the target customer.

May 13, 2005
    A nice feature to add would be if the NSA would offer shooting and gunsmithing tips when you post a new gun and target.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    A nice feature to add would be if the NSA would offer shooting and gunsmithing tips when you post a new gun and target.

Somehow I don't think they'd want to be very encouraging of personal firearm ownership and marksmanship.

But this brings up a good point - privacy. I've included a little bit in the description about the permissions I include on the app, and I think that they're reasonable. The data and images themselves are all stored on the phone and never touch the internet; the images are generally stored on your SD card (or on your internal storage if you don't have a SD card), and the data is all stored in a SQLite database which is also stored internally on your phone, with the database having no connection to the internet.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Let us know if you do an IOS version.

You guys will be the first to know. In addition to all of the iOS stuff I stated above I forgot that you have to develop the app on a Mac, and my old 2009 MacBook with 2gb of RAM can barely handle Youtube at this point. I think as of now there are rough plans in my head to develop on iOS version, but I have some other stuff I need to tackle first.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    My smartphone is only 3 years old, yet the app says my phone is incompatible.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    My smartphone is only 3 years old, yet the app says my phone is incompatible.

I've currently limited it to Android 4.0+ with devices that have cameras. This cuts out about 13% of the Android market share but it makes development 1000 times easier on me, especially if I want to make the app look modern relatively easily (which was very important to me, as this is also a resume builder). There are ways to support older Android versions and that is definitely a planned update, but my mantra is release early and often and supporting older Android versions on the initial release would have gotten in the way of "release early".

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    The Firearms Blog just said that they're going to write up a thing on it, so that'll be cool when it happens.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I have apple devices, but how about the ability to "mark up" the target? Maybe add tags for 1st shot, second shot, maybe be able to circle your groups for multiple group targets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom