• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    We've all seen shooting ranges on YouTube,etc. like Hitchcock45 and many others. Curious if anyone has fantasized about their own perfect range.

[While still a fantasy for now, I am building my own private range in the mountains of PA. I have a 100yd x 100yd area designated for pistol and action shooting, and a separate {500yds so far} 1 mile long range lane]

So far I've gotten and setup:
    6/10/12/24" AR500 gongs and plates
    "Hostage" targets at 25/50/75/100yds
    Bowling pins
    Tannerite
    Texas Star
    Pumpkins

I've just started looking at the T-Post and EMT mounting options that seem to make targets a little more easy and inexpensive to work with. NYL sets seem to be the next step.

What would you put in your fantasy range and why?

FoxSlayer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 8, 2020
    A like if different steel animals at random distances on the long range. Ground hog, fox pig deer coyote etc.

I have them on my range they are funto shoot. They have fappers on the vitals

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I've just started looking at the T-Post and EMT mounting options that seem to make targets a little more easy and inexpensive to work with. NYL sets seem to be the next step.

What is EMT? and NYL?

In my experience after dealing with various home fabricated mounting options that typically utilized steel plates hanging from chains (which invariably get shot), this current set up works best and costs very little.

T-posts, a 2X4 and sections of fire hose. Bolt the fire hose directly to the plate in a loop and slide over the 2x4. Stands up all day long, no running back and forth hundreds of yards to repair chains. I get the fire hose for free, don't know what it would cost if you have to buy it.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    What is EMT? and NYL?

In my experience after dealing with various home fabricated mounting options that typically utilized steel plates hanging from chains (which invariably get shot), this current set up works best and costs very little.

T-posts, a 2X4 and sections of fire hose. Bolt the fire hose directly to the plate in a loop and slide over the 2x4. Stands up all day long, no running back and forth hundreds of yards to repair chains. I get the fire hose for free, don't know what it would cost if you have to buy it.

EMT : Electrical Metallic Tube (metal conduit) typically in 3/4" or 1" OD. Can withstand multiple hits and inexpensively replace when failed.

NYL : Sorry, I was typing the sounds in my head.. KYL or Know You Limits.

https://shootingtargets7.com/collections/kyl-targets-centerfire-rimfire

The firehose sounds like the rubber strips that many sites sell in place of chains.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have a pair of dueling trees at 50 feet and a hostage target at 75 yards for short range shooting and 8” gongs at 50 and 100 and 150 and 200 and 250 yards and several gongs at the corner of a field that can be shot at at 400 and 450 and 500 and if someone doesn’t Mind setting up on a hill you can stretch it to more , I am not sure because I need a better range finder but I believe I can get nearly 1000 but again not sure.

I wish I had a better backstop. What I have is about 100 acres of swamp land behind the long ranges and your shooting down slope and there’s nothing back there structure wise for miles other than deer stands.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    My current approach for a range backstop:

The range (100 yds) will be in a forested area with no ability to bring in or move soil or to use heavy machinery. Although I have enough property for 100 yards, my property does border a one street development.

For a backstop I obtained a quote from a metal supply company on 3 pieces of 3/8" AR500, each piece 16" x 48" with eight 3/8" holes ($575 - more than I expected). These three plates will be bolted together with grade 8 bolts and set at a downward angle and will comprise the core target area. (I think I'll be able to manage the weight of each piece separately, but not a full 4' x 4' sheet.) A tray of sand will be constructed below the angled metal frame. If/when the metal pieces become damaged, pieces can be unbolted and rotated. I'll likely put timber walls behind and beside the angled metal frame. This project is still in the development/design phase.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We used old telephone poles and downed trees for a backstop. Inserted 14ft telephone poles into the ground to form a 16x10 rectangle. Then large downed trees were stacked up 10' high in between the posts. We filled in any minor open spots as we went with buckets of dirt from the loader. Ill have to take a pic closer up this is the best I have on the phone. Pic is from the 350yd line.

Attachments

• 20200613_112350.jpg
      20200613_112350.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 232

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm a competition guy, so the stuff I'm looking for is VTAC barricades, other barriers, steel metric target plates, poppers, etc. I could see a Texas Star or a double helix being involved, too, but those are expensive.

I love shooting ELR, so if I had access to 1000+ yds, that would be amazing, but it's probably never gonna happen outside of Montana or something.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    My fantasy range? Very different, as it would be set up for the precision disciplines. A 25 meter Olympic Rapid Fire bay. 25 and 50 meter ISSF precision targets. Heated firing point. I'd make it indoors, but I shoot a lot of black powder...so a heated firing point instead. Ideally, electronic targets.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    My fantasy range? Very different, as it would be set up for the precision disciplines. A 25 meter Olympic Rapid Fire bay. 25 and 50 meter ISSF precision targets. Heated firing point. I'd make it indoors, but I shoot a lot of black powder...so a heated firing point instead. Ideally, electronic targets.

That reminded me of one 350ac property we looked at in North Central PA mountains that had a cabin and 300yd range already setup. There were "shoot through" outhouse like electronic targets at 50, 100, 200, 300 yds, wired back to the cabin. The cabin had indoor shooting tables that you could open windows up to the garage, and the garage door and shoot down through the range targets and through sophisicated chronographs and other equipment in the garage. Very elaborate setup, but porkipines had torn the cabin apart and rattlesnakes had moved into the pole barn and garage.

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom