• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I just bought a WASR on impulse for $1000 from a local gun shop last week

They are charging 75 bucks restocking fee if I want to return - do you think I should just stick with it or should I take the $75 hit and wait for a better deal to come around ($7-8oo) ???

Prior to the purchase I knew nothing about AK's and really only bought it because I was afraid I would never come across one again.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Feb 28, 2013

They are charging 75 bucks restocking fee if I want to return - do you think I should just stick with it or should I take the $75 hit and wait for a better deal to come around ($7-8oo) ???

Prior to the purchase I knew nothing about AK's and really only bought it because I was afraid I would never come across one again.

Keep it. Shoot it. Enjoy it. You'll be glad you did later, like on Oct. 2nd.

I paid nearly double what I should have for my Core 15 AR. It is now my favorite.

Yeah I hear you. That's about what I did when I bought my Colt. But after hunting for a Bushmaster with no success I thought that would have been my only chance. What the hell, I'm happy with it anyway.:D

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32

Keep it. You likely have helped keep someone employed a little while longer.

I believe Nature has a way with dealing with evil. If the shop really didn't need the extra money they charged for the AK. The shop will likely experience some bad luck in the near future that will likely amount double the loss of the gain.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA

Think of it in dollars. If you think you can get an AK for $924 then it makes sense to walk away.

Since you think you can get one for 700, you should take the hit of $75 as you'll be up $225 if you do. Good on the shop for charging such a small restock fee.

There is something to be said for buying in a LGS, and I'm willing to pay a bit more to do so, but 20% is a big premium and you don't even get the instant gratification that comes with an impulse buy in MD due to MSP wait times.

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Think of it in dollars. If you think you can get an AK for $924 then it makes sense to walk away.

Since you think you can get one for 700, you should take the hit of $75 as you'll be up $225 if you do. Good on the shop for charging such a small restock fee.

There is something to be said for buying in a LGS, and I'm willing to pay a bit more to do so, but 20% is a big premium and you don't even get the instant gratification that comes with an impulse buy in MD due to MSP wait times.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can see this is a great community that I just joined.

After some research it looks like those who get a good WASR really love them and will swear by them. I'll stop by the place on my way home tomorrow and do some close inspection of the gun. If everything looks like it is in tip top shape I guess I will just keep it and hope for the best.

I figure if I do not end up liking it I could probably sell it for the same price I bought it for come August/September as Doomsday approaches here in MD :sad20:

Any reason not to keep a WASR? I know the build isn't the best, but in terms of reliability I haven't heard too much negative.

The only reason im second guessing myself is because a friend just bought an Arsenal for 1300 ... seems like your getting a much better build for not too much more - considering WASR's used to go for 350 back in the day :banghead:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's been a long time since WASRs were $350, even before the election they were dancing around $500.

If the sights aren't canted and the rivet work looks good, keep it. It will outlast you. If you change your mind, there are still 5 months left to turn it around and recoup some of that money for something else.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Keep it. Clyde's has them at $780 right now. By the time you add shipping and FFL transfer fees, restocking fee, and the 60+ day clock reset, the difference might not be worth the hassle. And if it helps many of us got taken for more back in January when the panic buying peaked.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    just keep it...lesson learned but just because you over paid does not mean you wont love it anyway...i paid over 1400 out the door for my first handgun (sig 226 combat tb) out the door, 200 over msrp, and though i sold it years ago and now own 2 glocks and a 92a1 the sig still holds a special place with me...it was by far one of the best ive ever shot...damn i miss it :(

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    If you are 70, sell it. If you are 55 or less, it's going to to cost you less than $50/year for a whole lotta pleasure. :)

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    It's been a long time since WASRs were $350, even before the election they were dancing around $500.

If the sights aren't canted and the rivet work looks good, keep it. It will outlast you. If you change your mind, there are still 5 months left to turn it around and recoup some of that money for something else.

Is there anyway to fixed canted sights?

Feb 28, 2013
    Worst thing I've seen with the WASR's is slop in the mag well. Good sights+no mag wobble= a fine gun as far as I'm concerned.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Lou at Shooters Discount probably still has some for $800 cash or check, $848 on the road after tax (I think). So, at that price you'd save $77 by returning the one you have. If it was me, I'd probably eat the $77 over the hassle and starting paperwork all over. Consider it a $200 lesson though. :)

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    Lou at Shooters Discount probably still has some for $800 cash or check, $848 on the road after tax (I think). So, at that price you'd save $77 by returning the one you have. If it was me, I'd probably eat the $77 over the hassle and starting paperwork all over. Consider it a $200 lesson though. :)

Lou had at least 6 at the Timonium gun show today around noon.

I also saw at other tables with wasr for $1000, $1200 and $1600!
    wynnstudio

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom