• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I have been wanting an AK for a very long time--about ten years. I'm finally going to pull the trigger and I've pretty much decided on the Arsenal Sam7 with the side folding stock. (I live in Virginia now)

I think I've found a good deal on a NIB: $1,450 plus $87 tax, so $1,537 out the door. It includes one waffle type magazine.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SAM7SF.html

Hickok45 basically sold me on this particular model last year, as he has on several other guns, but I also keep in mind that this man has hardly ever held a gun he didn't like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4560747rFc4

Question: Is there any reason to go with a different AK instead of this one? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Thanks!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Yeah, it's a lot. When I first started looking at them seriously in 2013 they were about $1300. The one I found is listed for $1550 and I talked the person down to $1450.

I think the trend is for them to only become more expensive as time and legislation goes on.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I have the Sam7 SF and love it. Never a problem. BTW, I did a little testing and the best ammo for me was a brand called Golden Tiger (in terms of accuracy).

You may find other AKs cheaper, but better?

If you can afford it, why not?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the information guys.

I've considered some of the other variants and AK-like rifles (I really like the VZ-58, too), but decided to go with one of the major lines of "true" AK variants for all the reasons you might guess (availability of parts, accessories, history, etc). And I figured if I'm going to get one, I want one that will be a badass, fine instrument for the rest of my days...or until I sell it if/when there is another waive of rifle hysteria.

It's funny you point to that gunbroker listing. I actually tried calling that store and emailed the contact on the listing to try to get confirmation that the item is NIB. The language in the description looks boilerplate. They didn't respond. I've got a good relationship with a local brick and mortar store. After the transfer fee the $1329 price is going to be more like $1360 anyway. I kind of like to support this local shop and they usually throw in an extra something like a spare magazine. I've bought a few from gun broker over the years and have received nothing but excellent guns from those auctions. But for something this expensive, I think it's prudent to spend an extra $50 (i.e. the cost of some ammo) to make sure I get a truly new rifle.

OK, so what I'm hearing is "hey, that's a really damn expensive rifle. There are some others that will do the same thing...but that one is pretty sweet." On the price issue, I have been saving for this for a while and I look at all guns as fine places to put your money. No gun I've ever bought has depreciated.

I suppose it's like buying a BMW instead of a Lexus. Both will get you there and offer a fine driving experience...but one is superior in subtle ways and the price reflects that. And the value doesn't go down 15% the second you take it out of the box.

Hokie--do you have any sort of optic on yours? I'm thinking I'll just go with the iron sights but I'm sure I'll want to get something eventually.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    I have the handgun version of the SAM7. It's excellent with a hefty, solid built feel.

My only gripe is the vented gas tube that cooks my hands. I'll probably look into a non-vented tube at some point. Not sure if that will result in it being over-gassed.

Oh, and some of the Magpul AK mags are very tight in the mag well. They work, just very tight.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the information guys.

I've considered some of the other variants and AK-like rifles (I really like the VZ-58, too), but decided to go with one of the major lines of "true" AK variants for all the reasons you might guess (availability of parts, accessories, history, etc). And I figured if I'm going to get one, I want one that will be a badass, fine instrument for the rest of my days...or until I sell it if/when there is another waive of rifle hysteria.

It's funny you point to that gunbroker listing. I actually tried calling that store and emailed the contact on the listing to try to get confirmation that the item is NIB. The language in the description looks boilerplate. They didn't respond. I've got a good relationship with a local brick and mortar store. After the transfer fee the $1329 price is going to be more like $1360 anyway. I kind of like to support this local shop and they usually throw in an extra something like a spare magazine. I've bought a few from gun broker over the years and have received nothing but excellent guns from those auctions. But for something this expensive, I think it's prudent to spend an extra $50 (i.e. the cost of some ammo) to make sure I get a truly new rifle.

OK, so what I'm hearing is "hey, that's a really damn expensive rifle. There are some others that will do the same thing...but that one is pretty sweet." On the price issue, I have been saving for this for a while and I look at all guns as fine places to put your money. No gun I've ever bought has depreciated.

I suppose it's like buying a BMW instead of a Lexus. Both will get you there and offer a fine driving experience...but one is superior in subtle ways and the price reflects that. And the value doesn't go down 15% the second you take it out of the box.

Hokie--do you have any sort of optic on yours? I'm thinking I'll just go with the iron sights but I'm sure I'll want to get something eventually.

I am in Maryland and I bought mine in 2013 before the ban went into effect. I'm still using the iron sights. I have toyed with the idea of putting a red dot on it.

I would be interested in what other people think is the best mount and red dot - or if you end up doing that in the future post back and let me know what you think.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'll post something if/when I get to that.

Any magazine recommendations? I was thinking of getting one of the (expensive) Bulgarian Waffles and then a couple in the $15 range.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'll post something if/when I get to that.

Any magazine recommendations? I was thinking of getting one of the (expensive) Bulgarian Waffles and then a couple in the $15 range.

I picked up some Hungarian mags based on the tip I found in this old link:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=75008

They are steel/heavy duty and work great. I am not sure the vendor in the thread mentioned above still has them - but if you can find them they worked great.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I have a SAM 7 Classic that I got in 2012. It is ranks high up there in my modest collection.

Attachments

• JUN_6015.jpg
      JUN_6015.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 414

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the magazine tip!

Nice rifle! How do you like the underfolding stock? I went back and forth between side fold and underfold.

I ended up deciding on side fold so that in case I ever get into shooting it longer distances (i.e. if I join a club with a long range), I want to be able to shoot it from a rest easier. I'll probably tape a piece of foam to the folding stock to give myself a good cheek rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom