• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I’m generally a Garand guy. Or an M1 Carbine guy.

But I find myself in possession of three ‘03-A3’s...two from my Marine Corps father-in-law when he passed 20 years ago and one I bought about four hours ago. Never shot any of them and I know nothing about them.

Where does a guy go or to whom does a guy speak if wanting an education on these fabled rifles?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the most basic - WWII era , produced concurrently with Garand , simplified in details for faster production compared to original '03s .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With those sights, possibly the most accurate shooting iron sights bolt gun of WWII

What are the manufacturers of them, date on barrel, stamps under stock etc.....
    pics to show the style of the stock

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Mauser action shooting the same ammunition as your Garand...what is not to love.

Plenty of YT videos, but no substitute for range time.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    After shooting the Garand with the same ammunition the '03 uses...be prepared for a jolt to your shoulder with the '03...especially with the straight service stock. If any of them have a full pistol-grip stock it's much more manageable.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Probably 10 years sporadically and a couple times a month for the last year. Back in Boise I shot M1 Carbine outdoor silhouette fun matches every month but I haven’t found anything quite like that around here. So with the Garand just shooting at paper at 100 yards and clays at 50 yards.

How long have you been shooting the Garand?

Last edited:

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I keep forgetting to take pictures. The rifle I just got has two stocks...one i was told is a “C stock” (I think he called it) but it has a big crack right at the end of the receiver, in line with the bolt.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was going to thin my 03s down but decided against it as I started working more with them. I can see why the Marines were hesitant to give them up for the Garand.

FAL-Ordinance

Mar 30, 2021
    Baltimore
    I’m generally a Garand guy. Or an M1 Carbine guy.

But I find myself in possession of three ‘03-A3’s...two from my Marine Corps father-in-law when he passed 20 years ago and one I bought about four hours ago. Never shot any of them and I know nothing about them.

Where does a guy go or to whom does a guy speak if wanting an education on these fabled rifles?

If you go to any antique gun shows in the area (one recently in Gettysburg), you're bound to run into an someone willing to talk your ear off about them. Or, there is always google. If any of them need work, I recommend Warpath Vintage (Chuck) in Colorado, as he works on them exclusively. I have two project a3s myself right now (he's helped me with one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom