• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sounds like a great time. I’d be interested in joining th next outing of y’all will have me.

If I recall my chat with John/ToolAA, you have also taken Ed Shell class(es). Having several experienced distance shooters makes learning much faster.
    I have an conceptual idea here. Team of 4 at the range: 3 shooters, 1 spotter and 1 target. The set up would be like this... Spotter on, shooter 1 ready, send it, bang, "low left by 6". Spotter on, shooter 2 ready, send it, "high right by 10", etc. This way, lots of time could be saved from positioning and sight adjustments and after 4 or 5 shots each, we would swap spotters.
    Very few have the skills of: Ed Shell, 4g64loser, Wes/Browning Guy, etc. Adding skilled members to a group would be great. EX- ToolAA isn't quite to the level above but he is GREAT at dumbing things down so people like me actually understand.
    I am typing from a phone at work, so I will provide more detail this evening.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    This sounds like a great time. I am almost setup for this. Another few weeks and I will be setup.
    I look forward to attending this in the future.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't have skills......but I did stay in a holiday inn express (have to post that story behind the water cooler, in isn't PC at all).

I clocked 28mph on my kestrel early in the morning. Makes things challenging. I wish I could schedule a light snow for class days. People could actually see the wind doing all the crazy stuff. Mirage can help but snow is an amazing visual.

Unrelated note-if anyone there ever needs a range to target, ask. If am there, my leica usually is too. I know the other guys who regularly work it pack them as well. SGs idea for a squad is actually quite popular. Several groups show up and do their business that way. Essentially practicing for the way the LRC is run.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I didn't use a rangefinder, but would bet there were a solid 15 targets at those distances yesterday.

They most have added more from the last two times i went which was the 1st one this year and the LRC a few weeks back hey had targets 500ish and below in the left side of the range and on the right 900-1034 in the back and the. At 433 an array of targets.

They most have added more from the last two times i went which was the 1st one this year and the LRC a few weeks back hey had targets 500ish and below in the left side of the range and on the right 900-1034 in the back and the. At 433 an array of targets.

Far left is typically the ~400-575yd range.
    The right typically has two sets; low elevation around 600-700yds and in front of the tree line is the 900-1050yds you described.
    There is also an often overlooked ridge to the left of center that holds a lot of 600-800yd targets. From the range side corner of the pavilion, go to about 11:00 and add 50-75 feet in elevation to the far left targets. The targets are a bit higher, which is why I think a lot of people miss them.
    This is an older video, one tier below the pavilion's current location, but you should be able to make out the terrain. Anyways, at :41, behind the shooting bench is the spot I'm talking about. I hope this helps...
    ETA- It is also at :51-:52, above the Peacemaker logo.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I’ll have to look again on. My next trip I know i did look around the 11 remember seeing a massive as Boulder the size of a car and thinking hmm nice area for targets lol

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    nice.
    I shot the LRC last month as well (that Friday)
    It’s a great way to shoot a long range competition. Avery relaxed low key event, everyone is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need more practice before I do one of the LRC. It is cool that everyone there is friendly and as helpful as possible. I am glad to see this thread got a few people talking about Frontier Days. I plan on going to all of the practices from here on out.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I need more practice before I do one of the LRC. It is cool that everyone there is friendly and as helpful as possible. I am glad to see this thread got a few people talking about Frontier Days. I plan on going to all of the practices from here on out.

the lrc IS practice! and of course fun. don't not do it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I did one Frontier Day before my first LRC. Prior to that I had only shot long distance one time at Ed Shell's class.
    Haven't been to a Frontier Day since then but have shot in multiple LRC matches.
    I usually finish closer to the bottom between my caliber choice (.308) and my lack of experience. I learn more every time I'm out there and just try to get better.
    Do yourself a favor and just come shoot an LRC. I usually shoot the Friday match with a friend of mine on Squad 2, you're welcome to squad with us anytime.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    my friend rbird7282 is being modest. I have talked to him various times and I resect his comments a lot. So, with these places, I assume no 22 Nosler or Valkyrie? I have a Nosler. :/

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    my friend rbird7282 is being modest. I have talked to him various times and I resect his comments a lot. So, with these places, I assume no 22 Nosler or Valkyrie? I have a Nosler. :/

Thank you my friend. You can certainly shoot those. My friend that I shoot LRC matches with used to shoot a .224 Valkyrie for long range.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    thanks

Thank you my friend. You can certainly shoot those. My friend that I shoot LRC matches with used to shoot a .224 Valkyrie for long range.

I do not think my Nosler will reach quite as far as a Valkyrie. I have a large Athlon scope on it. If you are going to be at the Pub Dog next weekend, I may bring it to show you. It takes a 6.8 cartridge necked down and mag, although that is not the parent. Typical Nosler. lol

I want to learn from others how to correctly shoot at distance..

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I do not think my Nosler will reach quite as far as a Valkyrie. I have a large Athlon scope on it. If you are going to be at the Pub Dog next weekend, I may bring it to show you. It takes a 6.8 cartridge necked down and mag, although that is not the parent. Typical Nosler. lol

I want to learn from others how to correctly shoot at distance..

I should be there!

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I have shot on the frontier range several times. My goals are a little different from most of the shooters there. Besides getting in practice at long-range shooting I use the day to verify my zeros. The last time I was shooting one rifle chambered in 308, the other 300 Win Mag. I was verifying the zeros on three different 308 loads, two with 168 TMK, one with 175 HPBT. The 300 Win Mag load used 180 Barnes bullets.

Basically, I range the target with the Leica range finder, adjust the scope, then take the shot. If the shot was good and a hit, the zero is good. If not, work on it. Then repeat with the other loads.

When I was done shooting, I had a chance to talk to one of the other shooters. I noticed that there wasn’t anyone shooting 300 Win Mag and I mention I didn’t notice to many shooting 308. He said there were probably only a couple of 308 shooters that day. I said I guess they could tell when I fired the 300 Win Mag. He said, oh yet, they could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom