• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    As someone who has long reloaded because it was the only way to keep shooting affordable while competing I have now moved into shooting in the Open class.

Anyone else round these parts reloading for +P+++

I have started my Major reloading with Silhouette under a 115grain FMJ pellet from precision delta as that was the only powder/bullet combo I could readily source.

I am looking for WAC next followed by maybe HS-6 and Accurate #7

I have may full ladder from Silhouette and may post it at some point with the “use this at your own risk as you may blow your face off” warning.

Just wondered if there was any interest in a 9mm Major discussion thread.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Location of this forum?

Forums.benos.com.

The highest traffic forum for uspsa/ipsc shooting in the states. Which is what I assumed the OP was into.

There would be less than a few dozen 9 major open shooters in the state. Probably only a handful on this site.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I think people just didn’t want to pay the extra cost for the 38 SC brass. I never had any issues finding it or picking it up off the ground might lose one or two cases. But I bought the gun and the caliber design for it not trying to amp up 9 mm casings to a pressure they are not designed for

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Yes. That's from Open shooters I've talked to.

To the OP, there are companies selling 9mm Major ammunition.

I figure there have to be a few companies making Major ammo for matches that only allow the match’s ammo to be shot, and for guys that don’t reload.

I have not looked for them as I have a Dillon in the basement, and enjoy the reloading process.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I figure there have to be a few companies making Major ammo for matches that only allow the match’s ammo to be shot, and for guys that don’t reload.

I have not looked for them as I have a Dillon in the basement, and enjoy the reloading process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reloading versus buying. On a side note, at the last Delmarva match I went to, one of the Open shooters was on my squad. He bought 9mm Major ammunition for the match. When they tested the ammunition, it didn't make Major with his gun :lol2: Not to make fun of the guy, but he'd been using this ammunition all year.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reloading versus buying. On a side note, at the last Delmarva match I went to, one of the Open shooters was on my squad. He bought 9mm Major ammunition for the match. When they tested the ammunition, it didn't make Major with his gun :lol2: Not to make fun of the guy, but he'd been using this ammunition all year.

So he bought Major ammo and did not chrono it? Sounds like someone made a trust error. My practice ammo is 168 to 172 range. If I was going to major match you can bet I would load to 172~175 as my target load.

Having to shoot an open gun in minor is not the end of the world. But I would feel silly if I bought Major ammo and did not chrono it…

Still thinking about the 115 grain vs 124 grain projectile conundrum myself. But right now just finding projectiles can be a challenge….

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom