• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hello everyone.

Got my HQL hot off the press and went to purchase a new HK VP9, only to be met with the following email from the MSP Licensing division regarding my application, 3 business days into my application.

“The investigation of your Application to Purchase a Regulated Firearm has been placed on hold. Pursuant to §5-125 (b), of the Public Safety Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, a licensee or other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a firearm applicant whose firearm application is placed on hold because of an open disposition of criminal proceedings against the firearm applicant. Accordingly, the seller/transferor has been notified that the transfer of the regulated firearm may not be completed at this time.

Your application is now being investigated by a specialized holds investigator. The holds investigator will request further information about your case from State Archives or the originating jurisdiction. Because we are dependent on outside resources providing this information, I am unable to provide an estimated time when your application will be removed from the hold status. Please know that our holds investigator will work as quickly as possible to resolve this issue.

Due to the confidential nature of the information involved, I am unable to state the basis for the application being placed on hold in this letter. Should you desire further information concerning the status of your application or if you obtain information that may expedite the hold investigation, you may contact the Firearms Registration Unit, Holds Investigator at 410-653-4500 during normal business hours.

Sincerely,
    Captain Andrew Rossignol
    Commander
    Licensing Division”

Anyone ever got this? I have a misdemeanor expungement from 3-4 years ago, which was a disqualifying crime but has been completely expunged for several years now. I’ve passed numerous employment background checks, including fingerprint checks, so I know I’m clear.

HQL application was also approved without a hiccup.

I’ll update this thread once the Hold is resolved, but I’m wondering if anyone’s ever seen or heard of this happening before.

Thank you.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    It's for the children....

Probably buying so soon after getting permission from your overlords, they didn't and don't want to you to own anything. Because their database hadn't been updated yet.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    It's for the children....

Probably buying so soon after getting permission from your overlords, they didn't and don't want to you to own anything. Because their database hadn't been was updated yet.

Fixed. ;)

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Might be, if this doesn’t just resolve itself. I had a successful appeal that took about 3 years for them to process. Didn’t get a UPIN though, but my HQL app went through without issue after, so I’m hoping this won’t be an issue either.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    Might be, if this doesn’t just resolve itself. I had a successful appeal that took about 3 years for them to process. Didn’t get a UPIN though, but my HQL app went through without issue after, so I’m hoping this won’t be an issue either.

I have seen quite a few people who are in similar situations. They just were approved for their HQL and then they are denied when they try to purchase a regulated firearm (handgun).

After that their HQL is revoked.

I "think" that they must check additional data bases when processing the 77r compared to when they process the HQL.

I am not saying this will happen in your case but it is a possibility.

Best of luck.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I have seen quite a few people who are in similar situations. They just were approved for their HQL and then they are denied when they try to purchase a regulated firearm (handgun).

I "think" that they must check additional data bases when processing the 77r compared to when they process the HQL.

Best of luck.

Plus they get you on record for purchasing a handgun in MD whilst prohibited (at least in MD).

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thanks all,

The issue has been resolved. I spoke with the MD Licensing division by phone yesterday. They had an error in the system which showed a denied transaction from last December, despite my NICS coming back clear. I also never even tried to purchase anything in december so it was a bit strange.

Either way the issue was resolved by the end of the day and I’m now “not disapproved”, and can pick up the firearm. hallelujah!

And to answer one of the comments, I’m over 30 years old.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Best of luck.
    I mentioned this situation to the officer to which he said “we don’t pull a NICS number for the HQL”. Seems as though the process for granting HQL’s is not nearly as thorough as a real check and does not qualify anyone as able to purchase firearms

Wicomico 2a

Protect your Rights
    Feb 2, 2019
    The forgotten lower shore
    I got the same email from them. I have never been arrested or convicted of anything. I called, left 2 messages sent an email and have not received any response, explanation, or anything. It's been 4 days since I got the email notification.

Has anyone had anything like that?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I mentioned this situation to the officer to which he said “we don’t pull a NICS number for the HQL”. Seems as though the process for granting HQL’s is not nearly as thorough as a real check and does not qualify anyone as able to purchase firearms

The HQL is a background check so you can get a background check.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Wait till they have to do this for ALL sales including private long guns. 7 day wait will be 70 days in no time.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Ok while we are on this subject..... I purchased a new 1911 on Friday 2/22. He had to order it so papers couldn't be filed til it came in on Tuesday 2/26. I thought I would get email today saying I could pick up, no such luck. Should I expect it tomorrow or do you guys think something's wrong? it says on the portal it's still under review. This is my first purchase with HQLs. (Got them in November)

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Ok while we are on this subject..... I purchased a new 1911 on Friday 2/22. He had to order it so papers couldn't be filed til it came in on Tuesday 2/26. I thought I would get email today saying I could pick up, no such luck. Should I expect it tomorrow or do you guys think something's wrong? it says on the portal it's still under review. This is my first purchase with HQLs. (Got them in November)

You should get your email tomorrow morning at 6AM.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the reply! After reading other posts, I was getting nervous. I can't imagine spending my hard earned money on something, only to be told by msp I can't have it. What then? Can you sell something you are not allowed to possess? Maybe consign with seller and take a loss? I'm sure it has happened. I hope not often

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Remember the $50 you gave the state for your HQL? It is all about the money.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom