• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why would they pull a NICS number for the HQL? They do a fingerprint based background check (and send you a letter to that effect). Pulling a NICS number would be redundant. I cant recall if there is a mental health waiver for the HQL. Could be that there are other databases like mental health and juvie records that they pull for 77r that they dont for HQL. That would make no sense, but like most things MSP, the less sense it makes, the more likely its true.

Wicomico 2a

Protect your Rights
    Feb 2, 2019
    The forgotten lower shore
    If you have your HQL your record shouldn’t matter at this point unless you have pending charges, call the MSP barracks and figure it out through them.

I called them and they confirmed my record was cleared and nothing pending. They instructed me to go through the licensing division. Which will tell me nothing as to why. Crazy circle here.

I have HQL federal collector and md collector

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wait till they have to do this for ALL sales including private long guns. 7 day wait will be 70 days in no time.

7 days is the law. If not Disapproved in 7 days, it can be transferred.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ok while we are on this subject..... I purchased a new 1911 on Friday 2/22. He had to order it so papers couldn't be filed til it came in on Tuesday 2/26. I thought I would get email today saying I could pick up, no such luck. Should I expect it tomorrow or do you guys think something's wrong? it says on the portal it's still under review. This is my first purchase with HQLs. (Got them in November)

Did the FFL actually DO the paperwork on that day?

They may have not done it until the next day.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Do they still use archaic facsimiles? During the 2013 rush I had to wait at least a month because the damn fax machines couldn't handle the load.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do they still use archaic facsimiles? During the 2013 rush I had to wait at least a month because the damn fax machines couldn't handle the load.

Uh, no, everything is electronic now.

For over a year now.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

He (FFL) sent in the paperwork on Tuesday 2/26. Got my pick-up email yesterday Wednesday 3/5. All went well. I cant say enough about Black Anchor Armory, Mike is very knowledgeable and very down to earth!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I mentioned this situation to the officer to which he said “we don’t pull a NICS number for the HQL”. Seems as though the process for granting HQL’s is not nearly as thorough as a real check and does not qualify anyone as able to purchase firearms

Which is confirmation that the HQL is merely an additional revenue stream. :mad54:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not any more

Ummm, The transfer after 7 days if a response has not been received from MSP is still law, and still applicable, regardless of if the seller is an FFL or an individual in a FTF transfer at MSP.

Beastmode1985

Jan 16, 2021
    I am having the same issue right now my 77R was placed on hold for no reason I have been purchasing handguns and I have my Maryland collectors license

Beastmode1985

Jan 16, 2021
    So what’s the process after your 7 day wait is up and your 77r is still placed on hold and MSP isn’t getting back in a timely fashion?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Legally if you are not disapproved in 7 days, the FFL may release the firearm to you. If you are later "disapproved" MSP may show up at your door to retrieve it. "May" is the operative word in the first sentence. Its up to the FFL, but they will not get in trouble either way AFTER the 7th day.

Don't forget to count the recent holiday, that does NOT count as a waiting day.

Luke30794

Jun 26, 2022
    Maryland
    Hello everyone.

Got my HQL hot off the press and went to purchase a new HK VP9, only to be met with the following email from the MSP Licensing division regarding my application, 3 business days into my application.

“The investigation of your Application to Purchase a Regulated Firearm has been placed on hold. Pursuant to §5-125 (b), of the Public Safety Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, a licensee or other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm to a firearm applicant whose firearm application is placed on hold because of an open disposition of criminal proceedings against the firearm applicant. Accordingly, the seller/transferor has been notified that the transfer of the regulated firearm may not be completed at this time.

Your application is now being investigated by a specialized holds investigator. The holds investigator will request further information about your case from State Archives or the originating jurisdiction. Because we are dependent on outside resources providing this information, I am unable to provide an estimated time when your application will be removed from the hold status. Please know that our holds investigator will work as quickly as possible to resolve this issue.

Due to the confidential nature of the information involved, I am unable to state the basis for the application being placed on hold in this letter. Should you desire further information concerning the status of your application or if you obtain information that may expedite the hold investigation, you may contact the Firearms Registration Unit, Holds Investigator at 410-653-4500 during normal business hours.

Sincerely,
    Captain Andrew Rossignol
    Commander
    Licensing Division”

Anyone ever got this? I have a misdemeanor expungement from 3-4 years ago, which was a disqualifying crime but has been completely expunged for several years now. I’ve passed numerous employment background checks, including fingerprint checks, so I know I’m clear.

HQL application was also approved without a hiccup.

I’ll update this thread once the Hold is resolved, but I’m wondering if anyone’s ever seen or heard of this happening before.

Thank you.
    I got HQL in May 2022 and actually purchased a handgun later in May of 2022. Applied for "Designated Collector" and got approved in June 2022. Later in June 2022, next application for firearm purchased "Placed on Hold"???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom