• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pro1742

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am thinking of buying some land in West Virginia and was curious as to what regions or countys in the state have the best trophy whitetail buck hunting?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How much land are you looking to buy. If it's big enough, you can grow your own in as short as 3-4 years.

Smaller parcel? I would buy near horse country where liberals tend to buy. If you can find a way to live amongst them(yeah, I know), they don't hunt generally and deer get a better chance to reach full maturity.

Once you get there, call me. I'd love to come out an kill one of your big bucks! :lol2: :D

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I have 20 acres up there in Hardy county. I hunt there every year. There is new legislation now that may change your decision. I currently spend about $190 for my base license and 2 doe stamps. This legislation will eliminate that and raise the price to $250 for a non resident base license. Almost as much as my property tax. I'll include the links. Actually 2 different bills in the legislature. The CWD zone is growing also. Be careful where you buy land. Some counties only allow bow hunting. Read the DNR hunting guide before you buy

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/02/12/legislation-would-lower-buck-limit-and-raise-license-fees/

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/02/14/bill-aims-to-move-opening-day-of-w-va-buck-season/

pro1742

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yes I saw that about the licences but that does not concern me much as I really have no need for more than a couple deer in a season. My main driving factor is to get the hell out of Maryland and a desire for some country living. Unfortunately, because all of my and my wife family lives in Maryland, WVA is about as far as I can get my wife to agree to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom