• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Hello all,

Father-in-law is 74, born in WV but lived in MD for last 40 years. He wants to buy a small hunting property (20-40 acres) in WV where he can build a small cabin where he can get away on the weekends and during whitetail hunting seasons. I have been trying to look online with no success on the issue of permits requirement for building a cabin. Some say for WV you dont need a permit if its less than 100SQFT, other said 200SQFT, other say depending on the zoning law for that county you dont need a permit if building on your own land outside city limits.

Been looking at the official site for multiple counties and I cant find where it say the minimum SQFT requirements for building permit, obviously you need permits to run electricity to the property and septic system. But cant find anything about structure.

He would be fine or even preferred it being small and 'off grid'. Him and I could build it ourselves if it doesnt need electricity and just having rudimentary plumbing and heat. But I dont want to build something and one day getting a letter saying we got to demo it because we get didnt a permit. Getting permits going to require a lot more money and planning than us stopping at Lowes and spending a few weekends.

Anyone know where I can get some accurate information on what size structure requires permits? I know I can call city offices but since everything is just initial brainstorming, just want to see if the community has experience in the topic first. A 8 by 20 is what we are considering. Thank you very much.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Buy a used trailer where everything runs off propane. Building a cabin is going to be a PITA and your going to be constantly adding to it. Especially if he just wants a small shack with no power/water.

I’ve dealt with this on my brothers old property.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yep. Go to the country office. I'm in Braxton and didn't need a permit for an addition I added to my place. The contractor looked at me like I was a weirdo when I asked what kind of permits I needed. His response was "why would you need a permit... you own it". This is how it SHOULD be.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I never heard of having to get a permit except for septic systems (and that is usually just to inspect to make sure it is correct). If it is an off the grid cabin: build it, no permission required.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    For less than the cost of the well and septic he could buy a pretty nice RV or travel trailer and park it on the property.
    If he wants to skip having the plumbing he could build a glorified shed with insulation, a wood stove, and a few solar panels on the roof fairly cheap and probably not need to worry about the permits.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    For less than the cost of the well and septic he could buy a pretty nice RV or travel trailer and park it on the property.
    If he wants to skip having the plumbing he could build a glorified shed with insulation, a wood stove, and a few solar panels on the roof fairly cheap and probably not need to worry about the permits.

Yeah, we were thinking about glorified shed. I'm fine with being an on going project. Keep him busy, if left alone he'll spend all day watching Mountain Men and Judge Jeanine while sitting on his recliner until hunting season starts. I'm not worry about heating and plumbing. Its electricity that I havnt got figured out yet, he's not going to need much but is solar enough to power a TV?

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Depends on the county. In Gilmer Co. we had to just show a drawing of the outside dimensions of the house. No permit, no inspections.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    So just went down there for a week with my father-in-law for gun season, my first time in WV (got a big doe, didnt see anything all week so settle for some meat on last day). I'm going to be honest, I'm not that impressed with the whole state in general. The people were nice and friendly, lots of woods and mountains, but it seem like the economy in general is dying no matter where I stop. Small towns, large cities, anywhere I look alot of the stores are out of business or run down. Lands are cheap, but northern counties are under CWD management. I do like that you dont need lottery for bear tags, but there just a sense of stagation in the air. The same feeling I get driving into Baltimore except its not as compacted. Obviously buying hunting lands in WV is not an investment, not like I'm planning to sell it in 5 years for a profit. Also after reading, it doesnt matter if you have lands, you still need to buy annual license (almost $200 for me) unless you're a landowner AND resident. Right now he's leasing land that's a 5 hours drive from our house in MD, in the long run the money cost is the same for licenses, gas, sleeping, etc...if you look at 10 years plan. Just my opinion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Just being honest with what I saw and how my FIL talk about how things been changing since he grew up there.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    What’s your county? The area around NE WV seems to be ok, near Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown. Grant County too. But much of WV is far from booming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    We are looking for a place near the border of MD so north east. Morgan County seem the nicest so far but my wife is against owning any land in area with positive Chronic Wasting Disease reports. My father in law has friends in Ripley Jackson County that he go hunting with every year, but I dont know how much longer he can make that 6 hours drive. I live in Carroll County Maryland, something within 2 hours drive would be ideal for him and me. We are now considering PA since there is also Elk and non-lottery bear tags. But same issue that large area of southern PA also has CWD reports....

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have lived right on the border of morgan/berkely county for 3 years now. The counties have a baiting ban because of cwd in the past but there are plenty of healthy deer around. Its also loaded with turkey and a decent bear population. Not sure what you do for a living but my wife who is an RN makes more here then she did in Carroll county. Martinsburg and Winchester area have several big manufacturing plants P&G ,Amazon, rustoleum, rubbermaid etc. We could live on 130 acres in carroll county with no mortgage but would rather stay on our little 10acre plot out here than deal with that rat race.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    I have lived right on the border of morgan/berkely county for 3 years now. The counties have a baiting ban because of cwd in the past but there are plenty of healthy deer around. Its also loaded with turkey and a decent bear population. Not sure what you do for a living but my wife who is an RN makes more here then she did in Carroll county. Martinsburg and Winchester area have several big manufacturing plants P&G ,Amazon, rustoleum, rubbermaid etc. We could live on 130 acres in carroll county with no mortgage but would rather stay on our little 10acre plot out here than deal with that rat race.

That 130 acres in Carroll county wouldnt be available would it?

I work in DC with computer and stuff. Family just closed on our forever house a few months ago, so not going anywhere soon....

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    ...I'm going to be honest, I'm not that impressed with the whole state in general. The people were nice and friendly, lots of woods and mountains, but it seem like the economy in general is dying no matter where I stop. Small towns, large cities, anywhere I look alot of the stores are out of business or run down.

Welcome to Appalachia, it always been that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom