• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ever since I started paying attention to knife steels , I already thought D2 would be worthwhile . But never had the convergence of right knife , at right time, at right price . Until Saturday @ Chantilly .

Cover Ops OTF ( Large) for $65 .

I was looking for D2 , single edge , non- serrated . The only ones with that combo were the size large , with Old Glory & Gadsden design on handles .

Came with molle style nylon sheath , but I prefer old school leather . Of course it's just a hair too long for any of my leather belt sheaths , so that will be next search .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am * Willing * to post post pic(s) , but I am Luddite , and challenged in doing so . If schedules match up with Littlefoot44 , or perhaps upcoming MSI booth partner can assist , I'll put some up .

Closed length 5 inch , plus 3/8 in windshield breaker , blade 3.5 in
    Plain edge clip point . Vent rib type holes in what would be blood groove . Two tone on blade of polished and blackened .

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Is this the one?

Attachments

• COVERT OPS OTF - Copy.jpg
      COVERT OPS OTF - Copy.jpg
      16.8 KB · Views: 218

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming the size is correct , yes .

And the same knife also available with " regular " steel .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the moment tight , but then it's new .

Since I always carry automatic knives in belt sheath , my current next step is that it is too long for my current leather knife cases , which I prefer to the included nylon molle style .

Since knives on belt no- go at work , not an every day EDC thing , but my belt is full of interesting things on weekends , and rare times in normal clothes during the week .

If I had my absolute druthers , solid color handle would be good , and their medium size would have been just as good . But this was what the vendor had with plain single edge and D2 .

Will be interesting side by side comparison with other OTF with the 440C .

Added - Looked it up to make sure , the other to which I refer is a Lightning . Also plain single edge .

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    The Taiwan made Lightnings are a good value and surprisingly pretty tough knives. I bought a trio of knives at the York show a few weeks ago.

A Camillus MC-1, a Colonial M-724, and a Brian Tighe and Friends Twist Tighe OTF.

Attachments

• New Knives York Show 2021.jpg
      New Knives York Show 2021.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 119

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    D2 is hard and holds a good edge, keep oil on uncoated surfaces to avoid rust. A good heat treat can bring out the best in it. It's also the entry point to some great new steels, M4, K390, S90V and the list goes on.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have found D2 to be a good steel. I think the old saying is "D2 takes a. mediocre edge but keeps it forever". I have found this to be true

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom