• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Today was my first frontier practice day at Pacemaker in West Virginia. Had an awesome time! I was able to make impact around the 630 yard range which is further than I have ever shot in the past. Got hung up at the 990 yard target but in was windy today. I was with a a friend of mine that was familiar with the range so all was cool.

First time shooting from prone position. First time shooting that far out. Cool part... I met Fidelity, Toolaa and got reacquainted with Squaregrouper.

If anyone has been wanting to try out long range, this is a great laid back way to get involved. Had a blast!:party29:

Good to see you. Today was Fidelity's first time too. There were a few other MDS'ers there too: The younger RSO was 4g64loser. The MOCO CPA who sold me a 10/22 (can't remember his screen name) was also shooting.
    My 24" Grendel throwing 100gr bullets was NOT liking the wind today. Fortunately, El Cheapo (TC Compass in 6.5CM) saved the day.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Likewise. That was really cool to see you guys there. The younger RSO I met at the handgun stalls a few weeks ago. A wealth of knowledge this man retains. That was the first time I have seen the 6.5 grendel round up close and personal.

Yes, the wind threw me off past 600 yards but I was just happy as hell to be shooting that far out for the first time and hitting targets on the first try. Next time I am bringing along an alternative to a bipod. I was having issues with sight alignment on the the 1000 yard side shooting from the prone position. It's all about practice. And a nice day minus wind.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Today was my first frontier practice day at Pacemaker in West Virginia. Had an awesome time! I was able to make impact around the 630 yard range which is further than I have ever shot in the past. Got hung up at the 990 yard target but in was windy today. I was with a a friend of mine that was familiar with the range so all was cool.

First time shooting from prone position. First time shooting that far out. Cool part... I met Fidelity, Toolaa and got reacquainted with Squaregrouper.

If anyone has been wanting to try out long range, this is a great laid back way to get involved. Had a blast!:party29:

Good to meet you too. I was actually really enjoying the conditions. I haven’t had much of a chance to practice my wind reading/calling skills but today was a good exercise. I was fun trying to help Fidelity get on target. After you left, at I took cracks at - 6” plate at 976 yds from the position you guys were shooting from.

The wind was mostly coming from my left but changing speed and direction rapidly. Going from 7-15 mph. I was holding about 2 mills off the left side of the plate and was peppering the dirt all around it but managed to still get an impact. Even in those conditions I think I was still shooting a 4 Moa group at 975 yds. It was about 4:20 when I setup there so I wish I had a good hour to really take my time and try to understand better how my shots were being carried by the wind. Maybe next time.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Good to meet you too. I was actually really enjoying the conditions. I haven’t had much of a chance to practice my wind reading/calling skills but today was a good exercise. I was fun trying to help Fidelity get on target. After you left, at I took cracks at - 6” plate at 976 yds from the position you guys were shooting from.

The wind was mostly coming from my left but changing speed and direction rapidly. Going from 7-15 mph. I was holding about 2 mills off the left side of the plate and was peppering the dirt all around it but managed to still get an impact. Even in those conditions I think I was still shooting a 4 Moa group at 975 yds. It was about 4:20 when I setup there so I wish I had a good hour to really take my time and try to understand better how my shots were being carried by the wind. Maybe next time.

That's some good shooting compared to mine. I need to better understand spotting skills but today was a good first run.

Were you guys using a kestrel to calculate wing speed and direction ? Or were you using something that costs 500 bucks less? I have put some bucks into a vortex razor gen 1 20-60x85 spotting scope, a vortex strike eagle 15-25x56 ffp scope on my Howa 1500. I am very happy with what I have purchased thus far in terms of helping me get my skills to where they are right now. The 2 things I am missing are a range finder and something to help me calculate wind speed/direction and conditions. Fortunately my friend has a rangefinder so that helped get me dial in.

That's some good shooting compared to mine. I need to better understand spotting skills but today was a good first run.

Were you guys using a kestrel to calculate wing speed and direction ? Or were you using something that costs 500 bucks less? I have put some bucks into a vortex razor gen 1 20-60x85 spotting scope, a vortex strike eagle 15-25x56 ffp scope on my Howa 1500. I am very happy with what I have purchased thus far in terms of helping me get my skills to where they are right now. The 2 things I am missing are a range finder and something to help me calculate wind speed/direction and conditions. Fortunately my friend has a rangefinder so that helped get me dial in.

I have found the best method is to patiently wait until ToolAA asks if you want to go to Peacemaker again. It hasn't failed me yet.
    ETA- Sarcasm aside, I have learned a LOT shooting distance with him.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I have the Kestrel 5700 which has the built in Advanced Ballistics Calculator. For wind speed a much cheaper model costing $20 will work just fine, along side a ballistic app on your phone. Before I got the Kestrel I was using the Ballistic AE app or Strelok Pro. Both are very fine pieces of mobile phone software.

Your other hardware is more than sufficient to get you to 1100+ yards.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I have found the best method is to patiently wait until ToolAA asks if you want to go to Peacemaker again. It hasn't failed me yet.
    ETA- Sarcasm aside, I have learned a LOT shooting distance with him.

So toolAA has some skills. I will remember that as I get further into precision shooting. Glad to see the spread of knowledge has been contageous.

I have the Kestrel 5700 which has the built in Advanced Ballistics Calculator. For wind speed a much cheaper model costing $20 will work just fine, along side a ballistic app on your phone. Before I got the Kestrel I was using the Ballistic AE app or Strelok Pro. Both are very fine pieces of mobile phone software.

Your other hardware is more than sufficient to get you to 1100+ yards.

I appreciate the info! I definitely have some things to work on Skill wise but I don't mind spending the money on something if it turns out to be a lifetime piece of equipment that is worth it. You are the second person that had given the thumbs up for the kestrel. That may be a future purchase since my shooting partner has a rangefinder. I am going to give the $20.00 a chance so that I can get acquainted with wind speed and direction at the location on the line. If I decide to spring for a kestrel then at least I will have something to compare it to.

What goes on between the muzzle and the target is another skill all together. Lots to learn here.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    I can't believe I missed out on shooting with the MDS team today. I haven't been to PNTC for Frontier day, but I have been there with my daughter for the LRC and it was a very enjoyable event. I think the plate distances change each time for Frontier Day, is that correct? What were the distances of the shortest and longest target?

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I can't believe I missed out on shooting with the MDS team today. I haven't been to PNTC for Frontier day, but I have been there with my daughter for the LRC and it was a very enjoyable event. I think the plate distances change each time for Frontier Day, is that correct? What were the distances of the shortest and longest target?

I am not sure I'd they change each time but there were targets everywhere. Not sure of the closest and longest. As advertised 300-700. The closets one that I shot was about 440 yards. Longest I shot at was 990. I am sure they were not the closest/longest distances.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The closest target up today was 330yds and the longest was right at 1030.

The targets are up to the set crew and are subject to other activities going on at the facility.

You guys should be glad you shot the afternoon session! The morning saw about twice the wind. Just for reference, the morning is USUALLY calmer. Today happened to be the exception.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    The closest target up today was 330yds and the longest was right at 1030.

The targets are up to the set crew and are subject to other activities going on at the facility.

You guys should be glad you shot the afternoon session! The morning saw about twice the wind. Just for reference, the morning is USUALLY calmer. Today happened to be the exception.

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind for the other practice days. They appear to be about once per month. I plan on doing all of them from here on out.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Good to see you. Today was Fidelity's first time too. There were a few other MDS'ers there too: The younger RSO was 4g64loser. The MOCO CPA who sold me a 10/22 (can't remember his screen name) was also shooting.
    My 24" Grendel throwing 100gr bullets was NOT liking the wind today. Fortunately, El Cheapo (TC Compass in 6.5CM) saved the day.

Kyle, let me know next time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My friend that I was with today did that shoot about a month ago as I recall. He loved it. He is the one responsible for getting me there today. :thumbsup:

nice.
    I shot the LRC last month as well (that Friday)
    It’s a great way to shoot a long range competition. Avery relaxed low key event, everyone is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I missed it yesterday. Too many things on the plate at the moment but I was at the previous one with a couple of other MDS-ers. I also did one LRC there. It's low key, low pressure and really a lot of fun. Just about everyone is willing to chat a bit. At the last frontier day I pulled out my loooong bipod on the 6mm and sat in my hunting chair to see how far I could reach. I got to the round string of targets that were about 380 I think and was consistent there. Also tried good ol' Marine Corps cross legged sitting but that really doesn't work for an old fart with a heavy barrel. Long bipod in sitting was better but not as good as from the chair. My buddy tried my rifle in the chair and hit 5 of 5. I learn from him when I can.

I like the frontier days because if you want to camp out on a target you can just sit there and watch the wind and learn how your breathing and heartbeat move the reticle. Also, it's a great place to try out your cold bore zero if that's your thing.

Just don't drive down the hill if you leave early. The exit is a little tricky and they'll have to call the range cold for the dufus who does that... :innocent0

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The LRC is a great time. Low pressure and a very supportive group. More like a managed practice session with a score for bragging rights. Shooters are encouraged to spot and coach for each other. The frontier practice days are great for gathering data and testing loads at extended ranges.

One crew of guys that show up to the practice days sometimes rides all the way from Bowie.......with a grill and all the goodies.....their ringleader is a Marine and one of the finest men I have had the privilege of seeing mature in the precision shooting sports.

The atmosphere at the practice days puts me in mind of some of the first mds shoots down at delmarva sporting clays.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sounds like a great time. I’d be interested in joining th next outing of y’all will have me.

All safe shooters are welcome. Even if you can't make an mds meetup, show up to the practice days and LRC matches. Folks are very friendly. It's always a good opportunity to meet new people and talk shop about rifles. One of the few places you will get to see some of the higher end optics and rifles in the wild. Most folks are very open to showing off their rigs and support equipment. If you are uncomfortable approaching others, talk with the rso. In many cases they will know the shooters personally and can help you connect with a group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom