• Radical

Votes: 3 7.9%
    • other

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Which upper would you get? I'm primarily interested in something for HD that I'd shoot supers and subs, but neither with a can. I haven't fully decided between 8.5" and 10.5". I like the compactness of the 8.5, but would go 10.5" if there's a large impact on accuracy. Velocity should only be about 100fps, so nothing crazy advantageous between the two. With 1/8 barrels, I don't know if the 10.5 would help better stabilize heavier projectiles or not. I also don't know if a 10.5 would be more likely to be overgassed due to more dwell time, or if it would be more forgiving across a wide variety of ammo choices. Help

PSA 8.5" upper-
    It's cheap, with a bcg and ch included. Drawbacks are a long wait till they finally ship the derned thing,1/8 twist instead of 1/7, and the handguard is shorter than the others. I probably also prefer a linear muzzle device to keep noise away. I haven't really found accuracy data on them except people's generic "shoots well", but am leary of going 8.5 instead of 10.5 due to the 1/8 twist. I don't have plans to toss a can on anytime soon.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165449777.html

Mas defense 8.5" with linear comp-
    it's more expensive by about $150 than the PSA, but it has the longer handguard and muzzle device I'm interested in. It also has 1/7 twist, with the option of a "match" barrel upgrade. It seems like this shouuuuuld shoot better, especially with subs, because of that. I don't really see a lot of reviews giving hard data on performance. They don't seem to have as big a track record as PSA, but seem to have better customer service if something does go wrong. I'm leary that they give two options for what the bolt steel in their bcgs could be.

https://www.masdefense.com/product-p/mas-083b1-mdnm-10.htm

Hardened arms-
    They're more expensive than PSA, but still only 1/8 twist, and the handguard options I like come with a brake that I don't. They seem to have a decent reputation though, so I figured I'd toss emm in here

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProd...300 Blackout 10" Scorpion Rail Upper w/HD SMC

Radical firearms-
    This one is promising. It's PSA cheap, but with 1/7 twist. The rail on it is shorter than I'd like though. With a linear comp, I'd like something more like a 9" mlok rail for mounting a light out further.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ra...CKOUT-Upper-w-FCR-p/rf-fu8.5-300hbar-7fcr.htm

SOooo...which one out of these cheapies is where you'd go? Or would you just do something different/build your own? With the price of the PSA and radical, it almost doesn't make that much sense to piece one together for more loot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Those prices do make it hard to justify a build, I'll give you that. 5 years ago, I spent as much/more just on the barrel(s) for my 300BLK projects.

I voted other/build, simply because I just don't trust the materials/workmanship at that price level - quality parts, and quality people assembling them, aren't cheap. May be an unfounded distrust as I haven't dealt with some of the manufacturers you've listed, just my thoughts on it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I vote "other" and if you want a quality HD upper that is ready to go right out of the box, then I think a Windham Weaponry upper is a great choice. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for:
    https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/ar-pistol-uppers/products/ur9sfsb-300-7m

I also have had great results from BCM:
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-10-Upper-Receiver-Group-s/31.htm

I have 2 PSA uppers (one is a 10.5" pistol in 5.56), they are solid but not as well put together or QC'd as WW or BCM. If you want to only do informal recreational shooting, then PSA is just fine. For HD, I would get something better or build your own; or at least go through the SOTAR build class (with the PSA upper option) so you can have an expert guide you though rebuilding it and insure it is to spec.

Finally, for the build your own from select parts option; you will need specialized tools, but you can borrow from the membership here, and it's fun and rewarding to build your own. There are numerous good parts to choose from.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I agree with above. If you go the PSA or Radical Firearms option there is a reasonable chance that some assembly details wont be 100%. Statistically you could get lucky and have no issues. I brought a Radical 10.5” Upper from a member here and took it to the SOTAR Build class. It was ok but Chad did find a few minor issues. My muzzle device wasn’t tight enough and didn’t have a crush washer also the screws holding the hand guard to the adaptor were somewhat loose. My barrel nut wast torqued really really tight.

I’m happy with it now and probably have 1000 rounds through it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks guys. I figured it'd probably be good to go over any of these to check alignment and torque at a minimum. Anyone have experience with MAS defense?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    None with MAS. But I'd probably opt to spend the $29 and get the stainless barrel.

*I always worry about getting a nitride barrel, and they didn't do the nitride process before the barrel extension was installed.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have worked on all of them and I would not pick any of them as they sit. They can be rebuilt to be reliable performers.

I would choose the 8 over the 10 in .300.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have worked on all of them and I would not pick any of them as they sit. They can be rebuilt to be reliable performers.

I would choose the 8 over the 10 in .300.

Yeah, the 8.5s and 9s seem like the good pick for length. I am finding some conflicting info on twist rate though. Lots of people say 1/8 won't stabilize subs and you need 1/7, but there's also tons of folks saying 1/8 stabilizes subs just fine. I figure there's a reason aac and bcm went with 1/7.

Any manufacturers put out a solid upper for <$400? Out of the above list, are there ones that you'd rank higher than others? If you could speak to the reasons for any ranking that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for the input.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah, the 8.5s and 9s seem like the good pick for length. I am finding some conflicting info on twist rate though. Lots of people say 1/8 won't stabilize subs and you need 1/7, but there's also tons of folks saying 1/8 stabilizes subs just fine. I figure there's a reason aac and bcm went with 1/7.

Any manufacturers put out a solid upper for <$400? Out of the above list, are there ones that you'd rank higher than others? If you could speak to the reasons for any ranking that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for the input.

Of the ones you listed, I would choose PSA. They are not very consistent but they are more consistent than the others on the list based on my experiences.

There is no one that makes any .300 upper that I would trust out of the box in that price range, but like I said, its possible to improve a budget priced upper.

I would stick with the faster twist if possible.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Thanks for the input.

I have a 1:7 with an AAC barrel, but 1:8 will work too.

I've had good luck with this company and their Value-Line series of barrels. Used numerous 556 barrels in 16" and a single 12.5" from them. I've also used numerous 16" 300BLK barrels from them.
    https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/300-blk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have a 1:7 with an AAC barrel, but 1:8 will work too.

I've had good luck with this company and their Value-Line series of barrels. Used numerous 556 barrels in 16" and a single 12.5" from them. I've also used numerous 16" 300BLK barrels from them.
    https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/300-blk

Hmmmm. That 9" stainless steel 1/7 Mr blonde barrel looks mighty nice. When tossing my Google-fu at my 300 black search, I found a YouTube video of a guy showing of a sub moa(at 100 yds) Mr blonde build. Looks like I'll be making a spreadsheet of build components to compare prices to probably the psa 8.5" upper.

I don't want to cheap out too bad, but with a 2 and 4 year old, spending priorities don't give much room for my own toys these days. Comahhhhn mega millions ticket....

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hmmmm. That 9" stainless steel 1/7 Mr blonde barrel looks mighty nice. When tossing my Google-fu at my 300 black search, I found a YouTube video of a guy showing of a sub moa(at 100 yds) Mr blonde build. Looks like I'll be making a spreadsheet of build components to compare prices to probably the psa 8.5" upper.

I don't want to cheap out too bad, but with a 2 and 4 year old, spending priorities don't give much room for my own toys these days. Comahhhhn mega millions ticket....

I will admit that for the price, I was highly surprised at the accuracy I was able to get from the 16" 300BLK Value Line barrels I have used. I am consistently seeing 3/4 MOA if I do my part.

The 12.5" Value Line 556 barrel is also sub-MOA if I do my part.

While I understand the Mr. Blonde, if you would like to check out the 16" 300BLK barrel and/or the 12.5" 556 barrel at some point, I'm sure that can be arraigned.

Believe it or not, I've seen such good results with their Value Line barrels, that I've been highly considering the 10.5" 300BLK barrel for a pistol build.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I ended up with a compromise plan. I got this...
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165449777.html
    ...and will look it over real well(basically stripping and rebuilding it if need be), then I'll check how it shoots. If it's good, then huzzah. If it shoots like sh!t, I'll grab one of them KAK barrels when more funds open up down the road and prolly just sell off the psa barrel. Even without money from selling the psa barrel, I'd still only be in it for $350 with a budget kak barrel, or about $450 for a bomb ass mr blond barrrl....so still cheaper than other options. I'll post up a review when all is said and done.

Thanks for all the feedback. And help with info.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Good news, the PSA ran flawlessly with federal 150 gr, Remington 120 gr, Remington 220 gr, hornady 110 gr vmax black, and some 150gr soft point alucard specials he loaded up. Today was crunched on time and mostly to sight in the romeo and verify function, so I didn't do any real thoughtful accuracy testing(jumped around on ammo a lot, and shared shooting with my buddy). It seemed to stay around 3" at 100 yards, but .5-1 at 50. The red dot, milspec trigger, and rushing shots were probably holding the gun back from better groups, but I'll take what I got.

I'll likely drop a larue mbt in before too long and give accuracy testing a better go next range trip. Fun times.

Attachments

• baldr white.jpg
      baldr white.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 282
    • Negative.jpg
      Negative.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 142
    Last edited:

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Looks good. Got the same upper when I saw the original post and I am putting it together with a Maxim CQB PB.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looks good. Got the same upper when I saw the original post and I am putting it together with a Maxim CQB PB.

It's a pretty decent upper so far. Here's one of the 50 yd groups when I was sighting it in. I can't remember which load it was. I need to go back and slow down to see exactly what ammo it likes and what groups it can print. I chose a 25 yd zero because it pretty much stays on a piece of paper out to 250. About 5" high at 100, settles back to almost zero at 200, abiut 8inches low at 250. 50 yd zero is much flatter out to 150 and then drops substantially.

Attachments

• 20181125_115647(0).jpg
      20181125_115647(0).jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 220

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well that's interesting.... the item # is the same, but they recently "corrected" the description to say it's a 1/7 twist. Looks like I'm on my way to my gun safe to check if mine is actually 1/7 afterall. It shot Remington 220 subs great, so mayyybbeee...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181201-120245.jpg
      Screenshot_20181201-120245.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 170

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Woot woot. That's a pleasant surprise.

Edit- was cleaning it and found the barrel marking just forward of the gas block. Verified again that it's a 1/7 twist. Excellent.

Attachments

• 20181201_151516.jpg
      20181201_151516.jpg
      123.1 KB · Views: 165
    • 20181202_130001.jpg
      20181202_130001.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads