• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Good luck to your uncle.

BTW he would have been 13 years old when WW2 ended in 1945.....

You are correct. Just a vet. Was thinking ww 2 but i was incorrect. I just think of all old guys as ww 2 vets.

I do know he will be married 69 years on September 3rd.

Thanks for the correction

Nobody

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Wow so you completed your interview, were notified you were Approved, and it still took an additional ~4 weeks to get the card.

No. Three weeks after the interview, I was notified. Four weeks after the interview, I got the card. In other words, a week after I was notified, I had my permit.

OMD6dawg

As you can imagine, the Wear & Carry Permit topic is, here, a sore one and the source of considerable (appropriate) satire, sarcasm, poetic license, salty limericks, rebellious ire, and more.

In short: Maryland isn't like most other states, but it is a lot like NY, CA, NJ and a couple of others, in that they don't consider it appropriate for most people to have carry permits. It's not a right, here, but a privilege, extended only to that small portion of the citizenry that meet a vaguely-defined, hand-wavy standard of extra-scary-risk that other citizens do not. Some of those people have jobs that are considered to represent "assumed risk," such as officers of the court, people with secret squirrel clearances, etc. Some are those who can show a history of having been assaulted or who are under extreme risk from (for example) a crazy spouse that is for some reason still running around loose. The last and most common category are those who, through their line of work, are considered more at risk than the average Joe. Business owners, pharmacists, EMTs who handle narcotics, that sorta thing.

By far the most common vector there is business ownership. Doesn't have to be a big fancy business. It can be a sole proprietorship where you just sell hubcaps on eBay once a month or the like... but you have to show that actual business takes place, and that the money hits your books (and taxes) as business income. You then apply for your permit, providing evidence of this activity along with your character references, and proof that you've taken your 16 hour W&C class, and then in 90 days or so (sometime during which you have an interview with the state police), you've got your permit.

Then in two years you get to do it all over again. Thereafter (for now), every three years.

In your situation, I'd say that retiring from your military gig is the PERFECT time to start a small business of some sort, get a bit of a paper trail going, and then look into the process. There's lots of help here if you ask, but it will come with some snark (aimed at the state, NOT at you!) because, well, it's Maryland.
    I was under the impression that they no longer could ask you for proof of deposits. When did this change?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I was under the impression that they no longer could ask you for proof of deposits. When did this change?

The current application asks for a series of bank statements showing such, OR copies of at least six teller/ATM interactions/deposits, etc. I have no problem producing ATM deposit receipts, so I load up a PDF file with scans of such deposits spanning the last few months. Obviously bank statements would show the same thing (but also possibly a lot more info you don’t want to share, and they say no redactions allowed).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And there is the written requirements , and the Catch-22 requirements .

Ie At your interview , the Trooper/ Contract Investigator might spontaneously ask you for XYZ . If you respond to the effect of " XYZ isn't required by statute or your most recent SOP's , here's what's required by the SOP " , you would likely be determined to be " uncooperative with the investigation " , denied thereby , and you would then begin your Appeals .

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    And there is the written requirements , and the Catch-22 requirements .

Ie At your interview , the Trooper/ Contract Investigator might spontaneously ask you for XYZ . If you respond to the effect of " XYZ isn't required by statute or your most recent SOP's , here's what's required by the SOP " , you would likely be determined to be " uncooperative with the investigation " , denied thereby , and you would then begin your Appeals .

I gave the inspector everything he asked for and I had my permit in weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I got my approval less than 24 hours after my interview and had my permit in hand about a week later. This was in 11/2019.

As for the financials; I submitted the 3 most recent months of business account statements as requested. Then in the interview the investigator said there was no cash deposits showing on my statement. I agreed and said that's right I get direct deposits. I then gave her my 2018 tax statement that showed the breakdown of all business expenses and she submitted it to MSP with the report. Approved next morning. You don't have to show CASH deposits but I think you do need to show money coming in and out regularly. Otherwise anyone could open a phony LLC for $200 and get a permit.

spitfire481

Mar 31, 2012
    Glen Burnie Md
    I got my approval less than 24 hours after my interview and had my permit in hand about a week later. This was in 11/2019.

As for the financials; I submitted the 3 most recent months of business account statements as requested. Then in the interview the investigator said there was no cash deposits showing on my statement. I agreed and said that's right I get direct deposits. I then gave her my 2018 tax statement that showed the breakdown of all business expenses and she submitted it to MSP with the report. Approved next morning. You don't have to show CASH deposits but I think you do need to show money coming in and out regularly. Otherwise anyone could open a phony LLC for $200 and get a permit.

my investigator wanted to see cash and or check deposits at a bank/atm. my mobile deposits were all overlooked. I am glad i thought ahead and started making atm deposits instead of mobile like i normally do. Made things a lot easier. I also do not move a crazy amount of money since its not my full time job, so im sure that had a lot to do with it.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    my investigator wanted to see cash and or check deposits at a bank/atm. my mobile deposits were all overlooked. I am glad i thought ahead and started making atm deposits instead of mobile like i normally do. Made things a lot easier. I also do not move a crazy amount of money since its not my full time job, so im sure that had a lot to do with it.

Here is the thing...every investigator does things slightly differently. I just got my renewal. The application suggested three months of bank statements, six cash deposits, paid invoices to customers, and paid invoices for goods purchased. I added my articles of incorporation, my P&L statement, and class rosters (I'm a firearms instructor). When it comes to what to include, I turn off my libertarian hat for a moment and give them way more than they ask for. YMMV

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My wife has her own business (hair studio). I deposit most of her cash for her. If I get on the LLC as co-owner, would this provide me with the qualifications needed to get approved for a CCW?

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    My wife has her own business (hair studio). I deposit most of her cash for her. If I get on the LLC as co-owner, would this provide me with the qualifications needed to get approved for a CCW?

I agree that you likely would. But I would absolutely make sure my name was on the articles of incorporation and business bank account.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Has anyone with an application in-flight seen any progress this week? Wondering how current events are impacting permits.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Has anyone with an application in-flight seen any progress this week? Wondering how current events are impacting permits.

My renewal shifted from “Application Submitted - Pending Payment” to “Application Accepted” during the day Thursday. So, somebody at a desk somewhere did something.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I'm hoping someone can help me answer the question: Reason for a Handgun Permit (Be Specific):

I'm a business owner, so I realize I have a better chance than most, but is there something in particular I should reference? Thanks much.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Would this be a "good" reason when completing the online W&C application?

Reason for a Handgun Permit (Be Specific):
    -For all legal purposes
    -I am a business owner.
    -I receive fees from my clients directly during business hours and off hours.
    -I also receive fees by mail.
    -I deposit funds in a variety of accounts in person by physically visiting bank and brokerage offices.

Thanks!

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Anyone see progress on their application this week or has the MSP put these on the back burner? Curious what times people have experienced between ‘application submitted’ and a call for interview or references contacted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom