• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    Was able to get a few containers of Vihtavuori 320 at a great price. Anyone have any experience with it? Not doing anything fancy just 124gr 9mm.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I used it years ago when I first started reloading and liked it. It was clean burning and metered well.

Nowadays, any powder you can get for a decent price is a good powder!!!

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    Yeah was shocked at the deal considering the reviews I saw online. Prepping a ladder should be fun. Hopefully I won't freeze testing it this weekend!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What have any of you determined for a grain weight of powder?

The Vihtavuori site varies from 3.2gr to3.9gr for various 124gr bullets.
    https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=89

The Lee dies paperwork calls out 3.8gr for a 124gr lead bullet pushing it at 1125 FPS and an OAL of 1.142 min. I was thinking of using this with the Lee TC356-124-TC bullet

Great for subsonics....

You got a load for that? Last time the crazy neighbors was screaming at us from 400 yards because her little ankle biter doesn't like the bang noise. I could load some target only rounds and color coat the bullets.

My daughters solution when I tell her the Labrador should not be out with us because its bad for her hearing under the roof. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
      IMG_0142.jpg
      105.7 KB · Views: 466

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I switched to N320 for 9mm a year or two ago and never looked back. Meters great, runs clean and shoots soft in 124 and 147. The 147 HST subs through my can are stupid quiet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    W
    You got a load for that? Last time the crazy neighbors was screaming at us from 400 yards because her little ankle biter doesn't like the bang noise. I could load some target only rounds and color coat the bullets.

My daughters solution when I tell her the Labrador should not be out with us because its bad for her hearing under the roof. ;)

3.6 grain VV N320 under a 147 grain projectile.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I use 4.1 under a 125gr Blue Bullet. I can't remember the exact power factor but I want to say around 132 out of a 4 inch GLOCK.
    Thats with a 1.131-1.133 OAL.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I use 4.1 under a 125gr Blue Bullet. I can't remember the exact power factor but I want to say around 132 out of a 4 inch GLOCK.
    Thats with a 1.131-1.133 OAL.

3 rounds over chrony last Feb. at the Chesapeake Cup IDPA match:
    1) 1035
    2) 1032
    3) 1024
    Gives me an avg. of 1030 for a PF of 128,750
    Summertime, or more elevation those speeds will go up a bit, but I wanted a load I could shoot outside year round and know I would always make a minimum 125,000 PF at sea level. Thats why I settled on the 4.1gr

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    VV powders are the highest quality powders in the world. I use N-320 is several cartridges and it shoots very well. I also use their rifle powders is several cartridges which also shoots great. N-550 is a favorite

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    3.6 grain VV N320 under a 147 grain projectile.

According to Gordon's this is fairly hot. They recommend 3.1 and I was thinking about trying 3.2, 3.4 and maybe a 3.6. I was reading elsewhere about 3.7 being about max with N320. I might opt lower depending on recoil as I shoot 9mm but its mostly for the wife and daughter.

I also noted viewing the seating depth with 147gr could really spike the pressure the lower it got. I plan on using and OAL of 1.145 and checked a dummy round to all three handguns for chmaber fit.

Attachments

• VV_9mm_147.jpg
      VV_9mm_147.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 157

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have used Vihtavuori powders in the past and bought some recently for my 40 cal. I have no issues other than trying to find any powders. I placed an order with Brownells and Powder Valley yesterday for some stocking of powder. If you see it buy it or poof it is gone. Another thing MD is funny about powder limits, to to be cautious I have it shipped to other family which store it for me. I just go pick it up when I need some. I saw some Vihtavuori in the shelf in GA a couple weeks ago when I was visiting my son. Nothing I could use.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    VV powders are the highest quality powders in the world. I use N-320 is several cartridges and it shoots very well. I also use their rifle powders is several cartridges which also shoots great. N-550 is a favorite
    This has been my understanding - particularly when it comes to burning clean. I have yet to use them - I'm still stuck on powders like W231/HP38 because of price. If prices weren't so high I'd probably consider it, but like others have said, right now ANY powder you can actually find is a good powder.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    According to Gordon's this is fairly hot. They recommend 3.1 and I was thinking about trying 3.2, 3.4 and maybe a 3.6. I was reading elsewhere about 3.7 being about max with N320. I might opt lower depending on recoil as I shoot 9mm but its mostly for the wife and daughter.

3.1gr is a minimum load per VV load data and will not function in most guns. You're looking at 115-120PF for that and really need to be closer to 130 or so for it to work reliably. Try it and see what works in your gun, but I wouldn't load too many unless you like failure to feed and stovepipe clearing drills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom