• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Can’t find one for this season. Did I miss it? Or am I starting it?

A day and a night and first day of deer season is upon us.

Finally got my blind out. Check game cameras pictures this morning. Been getting a lot of deer in my meadow. Very few bucks though.

Looks like it’ll be mostly does again this year.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    I think we both hit "go" at the same time, so now there is a duplicate thread. Oops - do we have Mods that can delete my other thread?

Who else is excited for archery opener?

I've done my grumbling about not getting into the WMAs I had scouted, but have moved past into excitement for trying some new land. Gave me the push to start figuring out some new spots via e-scouting, so that is kinda fun.

Having never taken an archery deer, pretty much anything that isn't a button buck or a fawn is fair game for me at this point, if I get close enough. My goal is to get where I've got some meat in the freezer, and then start figuring out how to set the bar higher.

Good luck.

What about the rest of ya?

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think we both hit "go" at the same time, so now there is a duplicate thread. Oops - do we have Mods that can delete my other thread?

Who else is excited for archery opener?

I've done my grumbling about not getting into the WMAs I had scouted, but have moved past into excitement for trying some new land. Gave me the push to start figuring out some new spots via e-scouting, so that is kinda fun.

Having never taken an archery deer, pretty much anything that isn't a button buck or a fawn is fair game for me at this point, if I get close enough. My goal is to get where I've got some meat in the freezer, and then start figuring out how to set the bar higher.

Good luck.

What about the rest of ya?

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

I hear you. Last year was my real experimenting year. First year with my new place. 4.4 acres rural residential. The neighbors are either excited or okay (depending on who I had talked to) about me archery hunting deer on the property. After a year I’ve got a good feel for when and where they are. Their paths, etc.

New crossbow this year. Got it for black Friday last year, but then didn’t take any deer after early November.

I am planning/hoping to take a couple deer in September and then cool my heels till early muzzleloader and hunt public land then. Saving one for the rut this year. Plan to try for 4. But I might go more. I have several friends who’d really like one for their freezer. So who knows what I’ll end up with. I might have shite luck.

I am hoping for one around the rut when it’s cooler as I’d like to butcher one myself this year. And I’d rather do my first one when it’s cooler and I am less worried about time

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Looking forward to this year. Last year I was so busy I barely got out. This year the herd needs thinned out badly the corn crop has been demolished!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am hoping for one around the rut when it’s cooler as I’d like to butcher one myself this year. And I’d rather do my first one when it’s cooler and I am less worried about time

We built a deer cooler and I got all the plans for that if you wan to build one. We hang them in it for the night and next day and then out into the truck and home. Its is at my buddies and its where we hunt mostly. Then hang and split and into meat lugs in the basement fridge. Then trim, grind and seal what you want. It is a lot of work, but I think I get better venison and I know what I have, how it was handled and packaged.

You need a good vacuum sealer or to take your time with the cheaper ones. You don;t need a great grinder unless you plan to make sausages. I went expensive as i make 20# of snack sticks or summer sausage at a time and got the mixer also.

We are hunting at the bottom of Greenbriar state park on private land they want thinned. Our friend, the lady told me to kill the fawns too, She's had it with the deer. We are definitely killing every adult deer we see and making jerky with them. We might hope she doesn't complain when all the big ones are gone and save the fawns for next years jerky.

My daughter is amped and will likely start killing at the latter place and I'll be in the butcher and Jerky shop for part of September.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    What's the rub on here with killing fawns? I killed one last year because I wanted a small one to try butchering a deer myself without being too overwhelmed. It was perfect. I would kill another fawn in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    What's the rub on here with killing fawns? I killed one last year because I wanted a small one to try butchering a deer myself without being too overwhelmed. It was perfect. I would kill another fawn in a heartbeat.
    My personal reason is that I rarely see them alone... Usually something bigger comes next!

And congrats on doing your own butchering. it's work, but I really like knowing where everything came from and where it ends up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    My personal reason is that I rarely see them alone... Usually something bigger comes next!

And congrats on doing your own butchering. it's work, but I really like knowing where everything came from and where it ends up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

:beer: Thanks! I'll never take it to the butchers again, unless I'm killing deer for someone else. Squirrel season opened up last weekend, and after pressure cooking those little guys and tossing them in some honey BBQ sauce, I realized that I really miss hunting.

Good luck out there!

Abuck

Ultimate Member

Great eating and good practice. We had a few commit suicide at a local hatchery. Tender critters for sure. I’ve passed on the young ones many times, but won’t begrudge your harvesting some tasty, tender veal. Also easier dragging. As we get older, and the hills seem to get steeper, that’s a big deal, getting myself, my gear, and a deer back to camp.

Love to butcher my own. Even a couple at a time. So, I just finally found a good gas fridge/freezer for camp, a Dometic RM760 that gets super cold. Not too big or small. Nice price, so it will pay for itself by the 2nd or 3rd deer I butcher myself. I’ve passed up a few early season deer because of not having refrigeration, and not wanting to take it to be processed, or sit in a cooler for days. Years ago we had a couple of the big old Servels but they died.

Of course now I won’t get out for a week or two due to an upcoming house sale. Too much to get done, and need it sold. But I’m sure when I get in and see the game cam pics of my area I’ll be ticked. I always have at least one nice buck the first day or two that I never see again.

Good luck everyone!

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    You need a good vacuum sealer or to take your time with the cheaper ones. You don;t need a great grinder unless you plan to make sausages. I went expensive as i make 20# of snack sticks or summer sausage at a time and got the mixer also.

They are nice to have, but if you wrap it well in plastic wrap, and then in freezer paper, it will be fine at least a year in a freezer. We have had meat that was 2 years that was fine. Never like forgetting about meat that long, but it’s happened. Always put a date on it so you know. Plus, it really helps to have the right freezer. A non self defrost freezer keeps the temp steady, not cycling it. That will really help long term storage.

We’ve had several grinders, from little table top, to a Hobart commercial model that’s a beast. That one is great for doing several deer. But the small ones are much easier to clean, and very handy to make small batches. Sometimes we will package meat to grind, but not grind it till it’s used. It seems to help a bit with keeping the meat fresher by freezing bigger chunks rather than ground. Less air surface.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I second the vaccum sealer and non-defrosting freezer. We've had steaks/roasts that were sealed by the butcher still be perfectly fine several years after the animal was slaughtered (beef).

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I'm currently on public land looking at a doe that just bedded down about 60 yards away. Can I cross my fingers any harder to will this damn deer this way when she gets up??

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    They are nice to have, but if you wrap it well in plastic wrap, and then in freezer paper, it will be fine at least a year in a freezer. We have had meat that was 2 years that was fine. Never like forgetting about meat that long, but it’s happened. Always put a date on it so you know. Plus, it really helps to have the right freezer. A non self defrost freezer keeps the temp steady, not cycling it. That will really help long term storage.

We’ve had several grinders, from little table top, to a Hobart commercial model that’s a beast. That one is great for doing several deer. But the small ones are much easier to clean, and very handy to make small batches. Sometimes we will package meat to grind, but not grind it till it’s used. It seems to help a bit with keeping the meat fresher by freezing bigger chunks rather than ground. Less air surface.

I stopped messing with vacuum sealers years ago. I burned up a bunch, they take forever to use and the bags are expensive. I've gone to the lunch lady sized plastic wrap from BJs and have no problems with meat two years old. Keep it in a non frost free freezer and you're good to go.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I'm currently on public land looking at a doe that just bedded down about 60 yards away. Can I cross my fingers any harder to will this damn deer this way when she gets up??

If she is still there,you might want to give a little bleat before you have to get down.Try to sound like a fawn.Turn to make the sound seem like its behind you.You never know

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If she is still there,you might want to give a little bleat before you have to get down.Try to sound like a fawn.Turn to make the sound seem like its behind you.You never know

See, if you had some peanuts or acorns in your pocket, by dropping them you could observer her reaction and decide whether or not you could stalk closer.

Or, make her believe acorns are dropping and have her investigate the sound.

60 yards is pretty far for her to hear, and besides theirs probably another nearby that you cant see that would jump first.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    See, if you had some peanuts or acorns in your pocket, by dropping them you could observer her reaction and decide whether or not you could stalk closer.

Or, make her believe acorns are dropping and have her investigate the sound.

60 yards is pretty far for her to hear, and besides theirs probably another nearby that you cant see that would jump first.

Holy Jesus. It was a fawn....

vgp70fU.jpg

Well, at least butchering the first deer of the season will be a breeze!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Congratulations, you’re the first one on the board!

:beer:
    My reward? The tenderest tenderloins ever!

I think it was a heart shot...
    Y6aKONv.jpg

It gave one loud bleat, then gave up the ghost on the spot. I was hoping momma would show up after that, but no luck. And I had to get back to work. Lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom