• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    For it's conventional usage, i get mediocre results when paired with a lee trim die, but I found a good use for it.

The lee quick trim triway cutter is a great way to chamfer and debur a trimmed case when chucked on a drill press, spinning at a high speed. Just a slight bump along the chamfer and debur blades assures a clean cut everytime.

Paired with an appropiate budget quick trimmer (wft, wct, Frankford arsenal universal trimmer) that trims along the shoulder, it's a solid budget method of trimming case prep before committing to a otherwise pricy giraud or a trim it 2 set up.

GGntrEU.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Using it manually with the hand dies has not given me good results. I pulled the deburring parts out of it and just do that manually since it never did a satisfactory job. Perhaps when the deburring parts are not restricted by the die, they work better.

Last edited:

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    For what it's worth and if anyone is interested...

I treated myself to the RCBS auto powered case trimmer and the RCBS brass boss (for chamfering/deburing). I've been able to trim then c/db 2-2.25 cases per minute with that set up including measuring case to verify length.

Can't imagine trying to do large batches of brass by hand anymore. Big believer of having the right tool for the job.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer is the way to do this fast with a drill (or drill press, I guess). Not cheap (~$100), but it's crazy convenient.

I bought a proper Giraud trimmer earlier this year, and that thing is just... amazing. You can probably trim/chamfer/deburr like 15 cases a minute with it if you're moving. Caliber changes are pretty easy, too, especially if you user caliber-dedicated cutting heads.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    The Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer is the way to do this fast with a drill (or drill press, I guess). Not cheap (~$100), but it's crazy convenient.

I bought a proper Giraud trimmer earlier this year, and that thing is just... amazing. You can probably trim/chamfer/deburr like 15 cases a minute with it if you're moving. Caliber changes are pretty easy, too, especially if you user caliber-dedicated cutting heads.

The only thing I'm deterred about the girauds is the price. I just don't shoot enough to justify investing in a nice trimmer. I'm quite happy with the worlds cheapest trimmer, as they use conventional and easily replaceable HSS endmill bits, which is critical when you convert 300 bo brass from 223.

In my quest to make case prep a complete breeze, i'd probably invest in dillon setup with a dillon swager, dillon trimmer, and figure out how to get the lee quick trim/high rpm motor mounted on the progressive that would result in a resized, swaged, trimmed, and deburred case as the final outcome.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    figure out how to get the lee quick trim/high rpm motor mounted on the progressive that would result in a resized, swaged, trimmed, and deburred case as the final outcome.
    That's the holy grail of on-press brass prep... you figure that out and you'd be printing money if you sold it as a product. Most people just wind up using a Lyman M-die or a Lee expander with a custom (NOE) neck expander.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    For it's conventional usage, i get mediocre results when paired with a lee trim die, but I found a good use for it.

The lee quick trim triway cutter is a great way to chamfer and debur a trimmed case when chucked on a drill press, spinning at a high speed. Just a slight bump along the chamfer and debur blades assures a clean cut everytime.

Paired with an appropiate budget quick trimmer (wft, wct, Frankford arsenal universal trimmer) that trims along the shoulder, it's a solid budget method of trimming case prep before committing to a otherwise pricy giraud or a trim it 2 set up.

GGntrEU.jpg

I assume you're setting a depth stop on the drill press to set the COL. Does it creep with use or is it stable?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I assume you're setting a depth stop on the drill press to set the COL. Does it creep with use or is it stable?

Oscar, all you are doing is just engaging the debur blades before contacting the cutter bit. trimming is done with an off the shoulder trimmer such as a WFT, WCT, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom