• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I’m in need of some new work boots and am looking for recommendations from people here.

I’m a lineman by trade and have always worn lineman/logger style boots. I have a good pair of them and will keep those in the truck for times that I do need to climb. I’m looking for a standard workbook that will last a while for all work on the ground & out of a bucket. Something without a logger style sole/heel (better on my back). I’m open to hiking/hunting style boots as well.

So far I’ve looked at
    Irish Setter Ravine
    Danner Bull Run
    Thorogood American Heritage.

Open to any and all suggestions. Just looking for feedback on what you have & what has worked well for you.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I love my Irish Setter boots. They aren't the same style you are looking for, but they are by far the highest quality piece of footwear I have ever owned.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have a pair of Carolina USA made boots and they have been fantastic. Waterproof and they are super warm in the winter.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I like Keen. Merrill sucks.

Well, that's because Merrell doesn't make a classic 8 or 9 inch leather boot the OP is looking for.

Their Moab Ventilator shoes are some of the most comfortable and popular out there. I think they are one of the few, if only one company out there that offer wide sizes in some of their hiking shoes/boots.
    And not every model of their shoe is waterproof. Not everyone wants sweaty feet when it's warm out. I enjoyed dry feet on a 13 hour flights to Kuwait, etc...

Keen is the best simply because of their wide toe box. Kind of weird looking at first, but to not have your toes hit anywhere up front is awesome. The pair I have got to be I dunno, 8 years old.
    I bought my daughter her first pair of steel toe work boots and they were Keens.

I like the Carolina work line that Norton talked about up top.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I would actually prefer boots in the 6-8” range. My climbers are 10”. For normal routine work I don’t need them to be that high but nice to have them when I do need that extra ankle support. I’m now a troubleman so I’m in and out of the truck a lot throughout the day and do mostly troubleshooting and a lot less climbing. Looking for that good blend of comfort and durability

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I picked up a set of Danner crafters a short while ago and have been impressed with the quality so far. Granted it’s not as much a logger style but the craftsmanship is great.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've been wearing a pair of 6" Carolinas with the composite toe for the last 3 years. They are comfortable and have held up well. I wore Redwings before then but they shipped most manufacturing overseas.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Check out Hoffman boots. Made in the USA, different lines of boots-hunting, work, military style. I have a pair of linemans boots but they are military style desert tan/green jungle boot style. You buy the boot and when it needs to have a new sole put on its $100. I found my pair at Goodwill for $11.80

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Danner or Thorogood.

I don't wear the heeled boots. My Danners were resoled three time before the upper was irrepairable.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I’m in need of some new work boots and am looking for recommendations from people here.

I’m a lineman by trade and have always worn lineman/logger style boots. I have a good pair of them and will keep those in the truck for times that I do need to climb. I’m looking for a standard workbook that will last a while for all work on the ground & out of a bucket. Something without a logger style sole/heel (better on my back). I’m open to hiking/hunting style boots as well.

So far I’ve looked at
    Irish Setter Ravine
    Danner Bull Run

Open to any and all suggestions. Just looking for feedback on what you have & what has worked well for you.

Thorogood is rated very good and then KEEN Utility

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Check out Corcoran boots. Same company that makes the old style jump boot. They have other styles to choose from. I have had issues with other supposedly good boots that really did not last, bought a pair of Corcorans for work and they are not only comfortable, they have lasted through some pretty harsh treatment. I know where I will be buying my next pair of boots when the time comes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

So far I’ve looked at
    Irish Setter Ravine
    Danner Bull Run

Save them for when you need to climb? Want to wear Hunting/ Hiking boots?

Are you going to have to put them on real quick before you have to do a pole top rescue or get somebody down?

What if a pole rolls of the dinky and onto your foot or some dummy moves the truck when your putting the chock out?

Look at a Hall's or Harlan catalogue and pick out a good pair of Line Boots designed for the industry that meet ASTM F 2413-18 standards. You might have to kick something out of the way one day on the job or some jerk in the shins when your getting loaded after work.

Take your contractor ID or company ID to a Redwing store for the cash discount and save your clothing allowance $ for some nice FR.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    When I'm not climbing, I've had good luck with almost all of the Red Wings I've owned over the years.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    Save them for when you need to climb? Want to wear Hunting/ Hiking boots?

Are you going to have to put them on real quick before you have to do a pole top rescue or get somebody down?

What if a pole rolls of the dinky and onto your foot or some dummy moves the truck when your putting the chock out?

Look at a Hall's or Harlan catalogue and pick out a good pair of Line Boots designed for the industry that meet ASTM F 2413-18 standards. You might have to kick something out of the way one day on the job or some jerk in the shins when your getting loaded after work.

Take your contractor ID or company ID to a Redwing store for the cash discount and save your clothing allowance $ for some nice FR.

Never said I was looking for anything soft toe. Also I’m a troubleman and work solo. Days of pole dinkys are over and if I needed to run up a pole in an emergency I would do it in flip flops if need be. (For anyone taking that literally I would not do it in flip flops. But any boot would suffice in an emergency situation)

Halls patch line boots are what I have right now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Never said I was looking for anything soft toe. Also I’m a troubleman and work solo. Days of pole dinkys are over and if I needed to run up a pole in an emergency I would do it in flip flops if need be. (For anyone taking that literally I would not do it in flip flops. But any boot would suffice in an emergency situation)

Halls patch line boots are what I have right now.

Then all you need to do is make sure your new boots meet the ASTM standards above then call a crew and stay onsite when your on the trouble bubble.

There are literally hundreds to choose from. Keen/Bata is what I would be looking at or Hoffman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom