• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, how about guns that you bought, that were basically quality firearms, but for some reason something REALLY stupid made it out of the factory.

Not talking about things that generated recalls, but one off things that should have been caught by QA.

1) I picked up a Mitchell Stainless Steel copy of the classic High Standard .22. They did not cut the feed ramp in the frame. I contacted them, sent it back, and the fixed it.

20 Marlin .445 ACP Camp Carbine. The feed ramp is a block below the chamber opening. As above, they never cut the feed ramp in the block. Again, contacted them, sent it back, and they fixed it.

Two different companies, two different firearms, but HOW THE HECK do you miss the feed ramp????? :D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    CMMG 9mm AR.

The charging handle was broken right out of the box. I remember thinking there was no way it went through QC. Sure enough, it took two return trips to CMMG and then finally having Chad work it over to make it right :sad20:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I got a Colt Combat Commander in electroless nickel back in the early 90's that shipped from the factory with a 'warped' frame. It was so bad, the slide wouldn't even fully rack to the rear.

Then, there was an STI Lawman 5.0 back in 2016 that had so many issues out of the box it was mind-boggling.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Anything Remlin. Actually probably only the first year or two they have improved a lot. Still not hand fit but serviceable.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    OK, how about guns that you bought, that were basically quality firearms, but for some reason something REALLY stupid made it out of the factory.

Not talking about things that generated recalls, but one off things that should have been caught by QA.

1) I picked up a Mitchell Stainless Steel copy of the classic High Standard .22. They did not cut the feed ramp in the frame. I contacted them, sent it back, and the fixed it.

20 Marlin .445 ACP Camp Carbine. The feed ramp is a block below the chamber opening. As above, they never cut the feed ramp in the block. Again, contacted them, sent it back, and they fixed it.

Two different companies, two different firearms, but HOW THE HECK do you miss the feed ramp????? :D

Some High Standard pistols do not have a feed ramp by design. They count on well aligned 2 stage feed lips on the magazine. Mis-aligned feed lips are the primary reason for failure to feed in these guns.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    The only gun I've had issues with was an early model Remington 597 in .22LR. I never could get it to feed properly. Tried different brands of ammo, different mags, replaced springs, etc.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A friend bought a Henry .44 Magnum...took to shoot and it went "click"...no firing pin installed. Maybe he bought the IKEA model.

Also...when my agency received a shipment of new revolvers another instructor and I took them to the range to test them all. One wouldn't target at all...no rifling in the barrel. I called the factory when we returned and was told "We want that back...I want to show it to people." He said it had to pass through the hands of at least a dozen inspectors and it didn't get caught.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    centerfire smith rimfire 22 pistol. sent back, repaired to rimfire condition, took forever,. smith 22 ar, 4 shots and extractor blew off, low serial number,sent to smith and wesson came back with different serial numbers on everything

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Mossberg 590 front sight straight out of the box.

They RMA'd it and got it fixed.

Attachments

• 20130413_081648-1.jpg
      20130413_081648-1.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 330

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    6.5" S&W 629-10: cylinder would lock-up tight as a drum after the third round of Magnum ammo every time. I had to hit it with a mallet to unlock it. Shot .44 Special just fine but, after 4 trips to the factory for warranty repairs and still the same issue after every third round of .44 Magnum, I pretty much just gave it away (with full-disclosure).

Mossberg 930: firing pin shattered after 100 rounds of 00 buck loads. Returned to Mossberg for warranty repairs and sold it the moment I got it back.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

What's even stranger to me is that you ended up with 2 guns withthe exact same problem!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some High Standard pistols do not have a feed ramp by design. They count on well aligned 2 stage feed lips on the magazine. Mis-aligned feed lips are the primary reason for failure to feed in these guns.

This would NOT feed, as the nose of the round impacted the frame. I sent it back, they cut a slight ramp, and no problems ever again.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Their QC program may only do sample testing and not every unit..

When you do sample final QC inspection, you do inspection at each process of manufacturing. It means their employees are not trained properly or are incentivised to keep quiet about issues. Typically is the latter. Employees are usually reprimanded for bad work. I know one company that their QC managers opinion was "ship it we will deal with it in warranty." His bonus was based on units shipped and not on warranty repairs. Fixing it before shipment affected his bonus.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Been approaching 20 years but, Colt 16” H-BAR shipped from factory with barrel screwed on but, not indexed. No amount of windage adjustment would align POA w poi. Colt had me send it to a private contractor out in UT, iirc. When he returned it he included a note, “Get a metal buffer and throw out that plastic pos!”

Rossi M92 357/38 lever action with the “gold bead” glued (or soldered?) practically to one SIDE of the front sight ... their customer service leave A LOT to be desired, btw ...

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Walther CCP M2 in 9mm.

Bought it because I was fascinated by the HK P7 delayed blowback design and thought this was the next best thing. Wrong. Thing was a jam-o-mattic.

There were a number of obvious reasons that, IMO, kept it from running right. First, the single stack mags did not properly support the round as it was fed from the magazine to the feed ramps - would cause the round to point down and hit the very bottom of the feed lips, often catching at this point.

Also, could have just been mine, but the recoil was hardly what I would call soft, as it was designed to be. In fact - left a stinging sensation in the palm after a few rounds. Trigger also sucked - long mushy pull with no tactile breaking point and mile long reset.

People either reported rock solid reliability or total junk, so it left me thinking it may have been a QC issue. Another CCP owner I spoke with said that Walther exchanged their barrel with a larger gas port and it fixed all issues, but I was so jaded that I sold it for half what I paid on consignment. I'll never go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom