Any public ranges open during deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kieranb

Oct 10, 2019
    Hi,

Does anyone know if Elk neck or Savage River Forest ranges are open during deer season? I know Myrtle Grove Range is closed.

This year was going to be my first year hunting. I'm new to shooting. Then a couple of days before season opens my rifle had an issue, and I'm unable to shoot it! I'm currently waiting on a background check for a new shotgun to come through. Assuming it's not delayed further (thanksgiving...) I'm hoping to sight it in and then go out next week instead.

I'm not a member of AGC (yet, waiting for new year to roll around) so I'm reliant on public ranges. If anyone knows if the two above are open, or if there are any other options I'm missing, I'd be very grateful for your knowledge!

Thanks,

Kieran

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    It may be out of your way, but Cresap rifle club in Frederick is open on sundays, except on Christmas, Easter, or bad snow days.

kieranb

Oct 10, 2019
    It may be out of your way, but Cresap rifle club in Frederick is open on sundays, except on Christmas, Easter, or bad snow days.

That's not too far for me, thanks a lot! I think that's where I'll go on Sunday, assuming I get the gun in time

Kieran

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Savage River and Green Ridge will be open. Why would a range be closed during hunting season?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    That's not too far for me, thanks a lot! I think that's where I'll go on Sunday, assuming I get the gun in time

Kieran

Just a heads up, they are cash only. $8 a shooter and a dollar per target. 50 and 100 yard targets at the rifle line.

kieranb

Oct 10, 2019
    Savage River and Green Ridge will be open. Why would a range be closed during hunting season?

I'm not sure, but myrtle grove is. I'm a new shooter and I figured it might be something all the public ranges do.

Thanks for the replies all! I was panicking about not being able to not being able to find a range open. Now I'll just cross my fingers that I get the firearm in time to salvage hunting this season!

Kieran

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Shotgun should be cash and carry. Is there a problem with your background check? A common name can cause a delay "James Smith" for example. Someone else can add but I believe there's a way to get a personalized PIN number or something to use on your next application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom