• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well, he already ordered one receiver, but I told him, and he decided to just build one for himself, but he had two kits already, so he just gave one to me, I'm only 20, so I can't order a receiver until november anyway, I think he said it's a bulgarian from apex? Anyone wanna buy it? Don't have enough posts to put in classifieds... PM me if interested

Hold on to it... It's a good kit and you won't be able to replace it easily or cheaply, especially if it has the original barrel.

Mark

PS - asking people to PM you because you don't have enough posts to post in the classified is in poor taste and contrary to why the rules exist... you may want to rethink circumventing the rules, it makes the mods unhappy.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Hold on to it... It's a good kit and you won't be able to replace it easily or cheaply, especially if it has the original barrel.

Mark

PS - asking people to PM you because you don't have enough posts to post in the classified is in poor taste and contrary to why the rules exist... you may want to rethink circumventing the rules, it makes the mods unhappy.

+1. Hold onto it and build it in November with the help of your friend who will have acquired the tools and skill by then. Or wait until you hit 50 posts and unload it here--but don't try to circumvent the rules, others have tried before and failed. Miserably.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Sorry guys, wasn't thinking, new here, cut me a little bit of slack, wasn't thinking that way, just trying to get rid of it

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    how did you get the old rivets out of the parts kit?

If you have receiver stubs attached to the parts, the easiest way to start is to use a cold chisel and a hammer to shear the head off. A good smack will do it.

The rivets on the front trunnion can be punched out (once the barrel/stub is removed) very easily. It's good to flush cut them with a dremel first.

It's the through rivets on the rear trunnion which are a real b*tch. If you flush cut them first and use a steady grip on a punch with a dead blow, sometimes you can get them to move. I've never had much luck but some guys seem to have a knack for it. Next up is drilling them out, start with a bit several sizes smaller than the rivet and drill out the middle halfway from each side. Go real slow and use lots of lube, making sure things are level. Then move a size or two up but only drill one side this time and use a punch to see if it will move. If not, keep drilling. Sometimes I've had to move up to a bit almost the same size as the rivet and end up pushing out just the thinnest shell of it. Some of those suckers are in there good.

The trigger guard rivets can be ground down with a dremel on the receiver side and punched out gently.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Yeah, rear trunnions are a bear! I've gotten to like the press approach on the rear trunions, where you drill with a smaller bit than the rivet about 1/4 inch, making sure you're centered, then go up in size. Once you're at the size of the rivet (actually, just a little smaller) then you can use a piece of tool steel, or an old punch or mandrel to press it out. Also, if you want to do this, I suggest soaking the entire trunion in Kroil for a couple of days...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    how did you get the old rivets out of the parts kit?

Grinder and then used a punch and hammer.

Just grind them flat and punch them out.

Now as far as the rear trunnion goes, yes, they are a bitch. What you do there is you grind them flat, center punch them, center drill and then use a slightly undersized drill bit. It will follow the softer rivet steel through the hole and you can punch it out pretty easy once you are most of the way through.

Seems like we are all doing the same thing essentially.

Mark

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    so who the hell has a bender jig they will let me use!!!???! i just want to bend them myself. i dont want others touching it to avoid the legalese. however Id prefer someone who has done this before. I will pay for your time, or use of equipment.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Resurrecting this thread.... according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?

Ifmanis5

Jan 23, 2021
    To confirm, you're saying you can legally build an AK rifle in MD? Or just a pistol?

I just had a colleague at MSP tell me he thinks there's some kind of definition of pistol that would prevent a kit with a 16" barrel from being MD legal if built into a pistol. If that were true, wouldn't that also apply to AR pistols in MD? I haven't heard of such a thing!

Probably throwing a wrench in the convo, but I'm not looking to be a felon.

1. Yes, it is legal to build your own AK in Maryland.
    2. No, You do not have to register it.
    3. You do not have to put ANY markings on it what-so-ever.*
    4. You may not sell or transfer it UNLESS it is marked per federal law, and even then, that is a gray area.
    5. You are still subject to GCA (including 18 USC 922(r)) and the NFA (26 USC 5845) <- If you don't know these laws you should before you build.
    6. No Machine Guns (without an FFL07/SOT), No SBR/AOW (without an approved Form 1) and No Supressors (without an approved Form 1).

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    To confirm, you're saying you can legally build an AK rifle in MD? Or just a pistol?

I just had a colleague at MSP tell me he thinks there's some kind of definition of pistol that would prevent a kit with a 16" barrel from being MD legal if built into a pistol. If that were true, wouldn't that also apply to AR pistols in MD? I haven't heard of such a thing!

Probably throwing a wrench in the convo, but I'm not looking to be a felon.
    You are quoting something ten years ago. The law had significant changes about 7 years ago. No you can't build an ak-47 rifle in MD, in either of your threads.

You can, but they'll have a jail cell waiting for you.

I missed your introduction, in the introduction section (as required by forum rules).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You are quoting something ten years ago. The law had significant changes about 7 years ago. No you can't build an ak-47 rifle in MD, in either of your threads.

You can, but they'll have a jail cell waiting for you.

I missed your introduction, in the introduction section (as required by forum rules).

I never introduced myself. Am I banned. How will MD prove you didn't build it pre 2013? Burden of proof and all.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    With a pre existing AK or parts kit? Im saving to snag a zpap but also was thinking of getting a parts kit and doing a real build. Is it "legal" to buy a complete reciever and have it shipped in? or would I need an 80%?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just SBR'd an ak pistol into a riffle so their is that

you mean you SBR'd an AK pistol into an AK SBR.

Someone from can correct me but an SBR is not a Rifle by Federal definitions.
    An AK47 SBR is not an AK47 Rifle, just like an AK47 Pistol is not an AK47 Rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom