• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I currently own a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger American in .30-06. Obviously, I have two rifles on opposite ends of the 'power' spectrum so I was wondering what other people would think about this. Would you buy an HBAR now in 5.56mm (due to the possibility of it being outlawed in the future)? That would mean dropping a good amount of money now. Or would you just use that money to pay for the expensive .30-06 ammo and become a really good marksman with that? (I am relatively new to shooting- I've put about 500 rounds through my .22 and about 50 through my -06)

My real question is, is an HBAR style rifle really necessary to own as a civilian? I mean, how likely is it that there will ever be a situation where I would need that sort of rifle? Do many people just buy an HBAR for the fun of it? And honestly, the biggest reason I am even considering an HBAR is the cost of ammo. I am only 20 now and after I finish college I plan to join the Marines so is it even worth putting down the money for one right now?

Sorry I'm all over the place with this question, there are just a lot of factors to consider for me. Thanks for any input on the subject.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I hope my AR is never "necessary", but if it ever becomes so I'll be really glad to have it over my .22 or bolt action 30-06.

They're accurate, fun, ammo is cheaper than 3006, and strangely more available than .22.

If you like to target shoot it's a good choice, and if it ever becomes necessary you'll be covered.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "I" would buy the HBAR.

Colt AR-6721, to be exact.

I hope that "I" never have to use any of my firearms against another human being, but, IF necessary, my AR-6721 will serve the purpose quite nicely.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

^^^This could be construed to be a Troll post.

IF you really don't know "why" a civilian would 'need' an AR, then I suggest you read up on current events, including World, National, and Local.

I'd also like to refer back to your original post, with regard to you stating that you plan on entering the military, specifically, the U.S. Marine Corps.

JMoon said:
    My real question is, is an HBAR style rifle really necessary to own as a civilian? I mean, how likely is it that there will ever be a situation where I would need that sort of rifle? Do many people just buy an HBAR for the fun of it? And honestly, the biggest reason I am even considering an HBAR is the cost of ammo. I am only 20 now and after I finish college I plan to join the Marines so is it even worth putting down the money for one right now?

Civilians as well as Military personnel have the right and the obligation to preserve, protect and defend this great nation (from all enemies, both foreign and domestic).

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's

because it makes you look like you're here to stir the pot and/or troll. since you don't "see why a civilian would need" an ar-pattern rifle, maybe it's best to stick to forums like DU where you'd seem to be more at home.

you seem like you'd be happier in your ignorance and shooting your rugers. enjoy! :thumbsup:

If ignorance is bliss, some folks are just plain orgasmic.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It seems to me the "need" thing is the mantra of the antis a la Gov Cuomo and others.

Not accusing but it certainly causes one to ponder.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've been looking at those Ruger Americans in .30-06 and I wanted an opinion before I purchased one.

I like the safety being to the right and to the rear of the receiver, but it seems awfully loud. When you pull the button back to take the safety off, it goes CLICK!.

The deer may hear it.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    If I did not already own a quality, high capacity capable semiautomatic centerfire rifle in either 5.56, 7.62x39, .308, 30-06 (Garand) and you are physically capable of operating it, I would be buying one as soon as possible. I suspect with either Democratic candidate for Governor enters office(sadly the Republican will not stand a chance thanks to Baltimore and PG county), they will quickly modify the firearms ban lists to include anything that remotely looks like a AR/black rifle/assault rifle/capable of holding more than 5 rounds. The HBARs/piston/.308 guns have slipped under the radar but I don't think for long.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The "need" thing is a very frequently used term by many anti gunners. Some have become sensitized to it's use. If it doesn't apply to you, great. But understand the history of the term and it's connotation to some folks.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The "need" thing is a very frequently used term by many anti gunners. Some have become sensitized to it's use. If it doesn't apply to you, great. But understand the history of the term and it's connotation to some folks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^

And thank you for commenting on the "Safety", OP.

Bambi hates loud noises.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    If you have to ask if it's necessary to own a HBAR then you probably shouldn't. You sound like a anti. Is it necessary that you own a 10/22 and a 30.06?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My real question is, is an HBAR style rifle really necessary to own as a civilian? I mean, how likely is it that there will ever be a situation where I would need that sort of rifle? Do many people just buy an HBAR for the fun of it?

I think you asked the question in that manner because you don't have the bug to own and AR. It's OK not to have that bug. Lots of people like the SKS, or M57 pistols or Winchester 22's.

If the police come for you like the Berwyn Heights mayor, or Waco, an AR-15 isn't really going to save you or your dog. You'll need a Ma deuce.

Since you are planning on becoming a Marine, there are lots AR's and bigger toys in your future, so why buy one now?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Perhaps you should go shoot one and then decide if you "need" this gun. I no longer trust our government to protect us from evil therefore I feel the need to be prepared. That includes the ability to quickly get off more rounds than my Winchester 70 can. The AR platform is highly configurable, reliable, accurate and very rewarding to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom