• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The good Lord, isn't making any more land so you deal with what you can. I doubt that my land will ever be mined, and not really sure if mineral rights have been sold. However, I don't have the rights. It will take a lot of title searching to find who retained them. And by now, one would have to find heirs and such. In reality it should never affect me one way or another. I have a major creek on one side of my property, another creek is on the other side of the hill. They will not mine within a good distance of the creeks so any recovery of coal would probably not be worth the cost.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Given where Pushrod is located, yeah, actually a mil for that much acreage actually is a bit of a bargain.

Being within 5 miles of Canaan Valley resort the property is worth a bit, but not quite seven figures. We purchased it when the proposed Mt. Porte Crayon ski resort fell through and the property parcels that were purchased for it went on the market. We lowballed and the European interests that owned it accepted the offer.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    It will take a lot of title searching to find who retained them. And by now, one would have to find heirs and such.
    Here's a couple of sites:

https://www.mapwv.gov/parcel/
    can search for parcel number and get current owners. Once you have the parcel, map and legal description of the property then you can ask the clerk's office for current mineral rights ownership.

This might help to see where active drilling is:
    http://tagis.dep.wv.gov/oog/

I believe the oil companies have access to a database of current owners. I haven't found a public web portal for that yet. I'm sure if you called a landman and asked them to look it up for you they would. Some WV counties have their ownership records digitized and searchable. Tyler County does not. The last landman I dealt with said the oil companies went to the County admin and offered to digitize their records for free and they were turned down.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Thanks Jim, I have been using all that type of info in each of the 100 or so properties I have considered. I was explaining to the wife what a relief it was to finally find a decent piece of property. I was probably spending at least 16 hours a week for years looking at property. This property is in Eastern Marion county, They have online records if you want to pay. Not sure how good the records are but its way cheaper to go to courthouse and search. I had been looking in Harrison county mostly and had online deeds, as eastern Marion was too expensive. As I searched, property that looked nice enough to investigate, was sold, that's in a matter of hours.

I moved some money around so I could pay cash. I found that cash ruled, no one wanted to wait for a loan. The other thing was that Realtors get the best deals. Someone walks into the office and has property to sell and a realtor buys it. There is also a lot of old school deals, friend of a friend and such. i hope to add 40 acres real soon this way.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Being within 5 miles of Canaan Valley resort the property is worth a bit, but not quite seven figures. We purchased it when the proposed Mt. Porte Crayon ski resort fell through and the property parcels that were purchased for it went on the market. We lowballed and the European interests that owned it accepted the offer.

If someone with some know-how and enough capital buys Timberline during the auction, I have a feeling you might see property values increase drastically in the next 5 years or so.

All that place needs is high-speed quads, a remodeled lodge, and better advertising and it'll be a gold-mine again.

I've got some insider friends who say Intrawest has been crunching numbers. We'll find out come late Nov. https://bit.ly/2JstXXb (open in an incognito window to avoid pay wall)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    If someone with some know-how and enough capital buys Timberline during the auction, I have a feeling you might see property values increase drastically in the next 5 years or so.

All that place needs is high-speed quads, a remodeled lodge, and better advertising and it'll be a gold-mine again.

I've got some insider friends who say Intrawest has been crunching numbers. We'll find out come late Nov. https://bit.ly/2JstXXb (open in an incognito window to avoid pay wall)

Man I hope it gets bought and upgraded. I was/am buying season passes to Timberline and Canaan every year, still have my last season pass for Timberline which I only got to ski on once before they shut down. It would be nice if the state took it over an made it part of Canaan so you could ski both on one pass.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Finally a wall to hang the important stuff.
    86979cdb584b7a93349b9afe871d541b.jpg

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Man I hope it gets bought and upgraded. I was/am buying season passes to Timberline and Canaan every year, still have my last season pass for Timberline which I only got to ski on once before they shut down. It would be nice if the state took it over an made it part of Canaan so you could ski both on one pass.

Totally off topic, but I take it you know about the buy out and all the infrastructure that Perfect North is throwing at the mountain? Largest high-speed lifts in the Mid Atlantic for starters.

If I'm able to secure a significant raise this year, I'm REALLY tempted to go ahead and make an offer on one of the pedestal units that's up for sale at Black Bear Resort right now. Sub $100k and in good condition. Once Timberline opens back up and the DC area folks realize it's got better lift capacity than Snowshoe? Oh boy, it's gonna rake in the dough!

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Totally off topic, but I take it you know about the buy out and all the infrastructure that Perfect North is throwing at the mountain? Largest high-speed lifts in the Mid Atlantic for starters.

If I'm able to secure a significant raise this year, I'm REALLY tempted to go ahead and make an offer on one of the pedestal units that's up for sale at Black Bear Resort right now. Sub $100k and in good condition. Once Timberline opens back up and the DC area folks realize it's got better lift capacity than Snowshoe? Oh boy, it's gonna rake in the dough!

Yes, I was excited when Perfect North won the bid. Though they only have the resorts in Indiana, I've heard great things about them. I'm anticipating Timberline to be one the East Coasts premier ski resorts when they reopen. Won't look forward to the crowds that it will draw.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well there is Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood In Oregon as well. Spent the night their back in 2000 on that Mt and have loved that Mt ever since my first trip to Oregon to see family when I was in short pants. Mabe they took the name from the one in OR?? Let it be the Timberline of the east coast as the one on Mt Hood is THE Timberline on the west!!.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yes, I was excited when Perfect North won the bid. Though they only have the resorts in Indiana, I've heard great things about them. I'm anticipating Timberline to be one the East Coasts premier ski resorts when they reopen. Won't look forward to the crowds that it will draw.

My experience at Snowshoe the couple of years I lived there was that high-speed lifts fix most of those issues. While you'll definitely have more people on the slope at once, Timberline doesn't suffer from the "bunnies on the big-boy slopes" issue that Snowshoe and other Mid-Atlantic resorts have, and I doubt high-speed lifts will affect that too much. It's more a matter that there just aren't that many greens there vs other resorts.

Well there is Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood In Oregon as well. Spent the night their back in 2000 on that Mt and have loved that Mt ever since my first trip to Oregon to see family when I was in short pants. Mabe they took the name from the one in OR?? Let it be the Timberline of the east coast as the one on Mt Hood is THE Timberline on the west!!.

Timberline is actually an entire community. Most people use the name to refer to the actual ski slopes, but it's also a gated community. I've got several friends who have houses there (they're way above MY pay grade) IIRC, the whole area was developed back in the 1970s which was well after Timberline Lodge in Oregon was constructed as a WPA project. It's just one of those things where people name different place the same thing I guess.

Land in WV!

GTOGunner,
    Would you be willing to consider hosting an event once a year?

Please consider a range at least 100 ft wide by 400 yards deep, maybe a Known-Distance (KD) Project Appleseed event?
    Find out about this national program here.

And congrats on your new acquisition!

:patriot:

Attachments

• 35465482_2019003148143868_5024109123449389056_n.jpg
      35465482_2019003148143868_5024109123449389056_n.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 657
    Last edited:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Which is preferable, shooting up hill or down hill?
    GTOGunner,
    Would you be willing to consider hosting an event once a year?

Please consider a range at least 100 ft wide by 400 yards deep, maybe a Known-Distance (KD) Project Appleseed event?
    Find out about this national program here.

And congrats on your new acquisition!

:patriot:

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom