• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    If I may ask, what did you pay for the Service Grade? I'm debating calling them and changing my order.
    Also, please let us know what your muzzle and throat readings are when the rifle arrives.

$750 from CMP. I saw a post WWII SA service grade at J2 not long ago for $2200 and it sold quick.

According to the tracking it left Memphis, TN at 4:40am and arrived at Dulles, VA at 7:21 am this morning.

Will let you know details when it arrives - I just put a note on the front door that says "FEDEX, I AM HOME. PLEASE RING DOORBELL, KNOCK AND GIVE ME A CHANCE TO GET TO THE DOOR".

I had to take a day off work to be at home to sign for it. I got online on FedEx's website and tried to get them to hold it at the FedEx facility and I would pick it up after work. Nope - "Hold or change of delivery address not by permitted by shipper"

If they miss the delivery or don't give me a chance to get to the door, I'm going to be pissed. I need all my sick days for fishing!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 8.03.51 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 8.03.51 AM.jpg
      15 KB · Views: 177

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Summary of the timeline I am experiencing with CMP Garand orders:

Rack Special
    28 Dec 2020 - Mailed off order forms
    11 Jan 2021 - Order forms received by CMP
    29 Mar 2021 - Date on E-Store order page

Credit card has not been charged as of 28 Apr 2021

Service Grade
    20 Jan 2021 - Mailed off order forms
    21 Jan 2021 - Order forms received by CMP (I sent them next day priority)
    23 Apr 2021 - CC charged
    27 Apr 2021 - Shipped
    28 Apr 2021 - Received via FedEx

I don't have the details handy but late Dec 2020 / early Jan 2021 I ordered some .22LR and .308 from CMP. It is also scheduled for delivery today. Edit: Ammo just showed up, it was also shipped signature required.

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    SA receiver serial number places its date of manufacture as May 1944. It has a SA barrel dated 1955.
    All the wood and the butt plate are new.
    Muzzle Reading - 1
    Throat Reading - 2
    The trigger guard is an earlier milled one
    It has a SA bolt and I have not disassembled it to check the other parts.

Overall, I am happy. I would kind of liked an older stock instead of a brand new one but at least my 1943 Garand has well used wood on it.

As time permits with Rockfish season opening Saturday, I will have Charlie Maloney give it a once over just for my piece of mind.

No idea when to expect the Rack Special I ordered.

Here is the "new" one.

Attachments

• M1 Garand - 1944 SA.jpg
      M1 Garand - 1944 SA.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    SA receiver serial number places its date of manufacture as March 1944. It has a SA barrel dated 12-43.
    All the wood and the butt plate are original (not new) with a cartouche on the stock (P) inside a circle.
    Muzzle Reading - 0
    Throat Reading - 3+
    2021-04-28 18.12.00.jpg

2021-04-28 18.12.30.jpg

2021-04-28 18.12.44.jpg

2021-04-28 18.12.57.jpg

2021-04-28 18.13.13.jpg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yeah...I think I'll call or email them and change my order. I'll "sticky" that I'd like the lowest throat and muzzle readings possible, with all other conditions secondary.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    It took about 6 weeks to acknowledge the receipt of my packet (sent snail mail, 9/12/20), but then it moved at warp speed... relatively... I got my e-mail saying that they were processing my order on 11/2/20, and I had rifle in hand on 11/6/20... the day after my birthday...

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A friend also has a Rack Special on order.

Earlier this week he emailed them and asked what the status was.

He got an email back yesterday that said they were out of rifles and were waiting on more to come in.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Good news? Sure, I just checked my account info, and they charged me for a Garand the other day.

The bad news is they charged me for Canfield's book on Garands weeks ago, and still no show. I have no idea when I'll see the book, and I assume the rifle will follow a month or so after the book.

I got my 1911 number, and am still hoping for a phone call.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A friend of mine's CC got charged Friday for a Rack Special he ordered in December.

He had emailed them the previous week and was told they were out of Rack Specials but 3 days later they charged his visa for one so I'm not sure what to make of that.

No word on my Rack Special order. To be honest now that I have a 1943 SA I bought from GunBroker and a 1944 SA I got from CMP, I really don't care if I get the Rack Special or not. If I do, I may just turn around and sell it depending on what year it is. WWII or Korea era, I'll keep. Post Korea, I'll sell.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Good news? Sure, I just checked my account info, and they charged me for a Garand the other day.

The bad news is they charged me for Canfield's book on Garands weeks ago, and still no show. I have no idea when I'll see the book, and I assume the rifle will follow a month or so after the book.

I got my 1911 number, and am still hoping for a phone call.

And just like that, I'm wrong again!

CMP charged me for the rifle a few days ago, and I just got an email telling me it has already been shipped! I still don't know what the deal is with the Garand book, though.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    And just like that, I'm wrong again!

CMP charged me for the rifle a few days ago, and I just got an email telling me it has already been shipped! I still don't know what the deal is with the Garand book, though.

What grade of rifle was it?

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I just checked the website and it appears the service grade are now sold out. It says they will try and fill any orders they already have in house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom