• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    2 - Remington Rolling Block Rifles to restore

I just acquired 2 Remington Rolling Block Rifles. One has an octagonal barrel that the bore measures 7mm +_ and the other is .22 cal. I am not familiar with rifles at all and will use these as a way to learn more. I want to restore them and would appreciate any information and advice. Attached are a couple of pictures.

Thanks,
    John

a79d8347417b1777db0efe2f5b063c19.jpg
    8940a906f655341aa0dec508c6767c30.jpg
    89bda2e695b7dc95440e3e053ded4d0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I believe the one without a stock is a No. 4, which was the smallest version of the Rolling Block. As for the other one, Rolling Block rifles were made in a ton of different calibers, from .22LR to 8mm Lebel, IIRC. I have seen many in .32 caliber before (which would be about the size of the bore you presented).

I would love to find one of these in .22LR or 7x57 Mauser.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I believe the one without a stock is a No. 4, which was the smallest version of the Rolling Block. As for the other one, Rolling Block rifles were made in a ton of different calibers, from .22LR to 8mm Lebel, IIRC. I have seen many in .32 caliber before (which would be about the size of the bore you presented).

I would love to find one of these in .22LR or 7x57 Mauser.

Thanks for the input on the possible size of one. information.

The .22 is functional, except no stock, while the .32 (?) Is missing the firing pin and the trigger is not connected.

Any suggestions on how to begin to restore them? I have zero experience with rifles andI just got them last Sunday and haven't had a chance to look on the internet much.

Thanks again,
    John

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    I have a #4 in 22. Was my first rifle handed down to me from my father almost 42 years ago. Great little gun to learn on. The #4 was manufactured from 1890 - 1933. Unbelievably, most of the parts are still available thru Numeric including the stock. Still shoot mine once in a blue moon. Due to its age, and the High velocity 22 LR around these days, I shoot only 22 Short thru it, and it shoots great. Enjoy.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Thank you - the rifling on the 22 looks pretty good, so I just need to clean and oil and get a stock and I should be good to go.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I pulled the forestock or forearm off of the one and I found the serial number or 10615 it also matches the serial number on the bottom of the frame.
    Is there a way I can find out the age and caliber based on the serial number?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can find the caliber by doing a chamber cast with cerrosafe ( https://www.google.com/search?q=cer...1NvZAhXJwVkKHY-iBeoQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=602).

I wouldn't expect to shoot it. I don't quite trust that design. If something should shear, that breech is aimed right at your eye.

Interesting and historically significant rifles, though. Sold by the millions around the world. Everybody bought them, and everybody dumped them first chance they got.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    You can find the caliber by doing a chamber cast with cerrosafe ( https://www.google.com/search?q=cer...1NvZAhXJwVkKHY-iBeoQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=602).

I wouldn't expect to shoot it. I don't quite trust that design. If something should shear, that breech is aimed right at your eye.

Interesting and historically significant rifles, though. Sold by the millions around the world. Everybody bought them, and everybody dumped them first chance they got.

Good point on the failure mode. I still want to restore them for the experience and then hang them on the wall.

Thanks for the he heads up.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD

I just watched the videos using cerrosafe and I definitely will be doing the same to determine the caliber.

Any other tips or advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    John

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Looks like fun projects to me.
    If someone wants a shooter, there are bajillions of rolling blocks from Sweden on the Simpson's Ltd website for pretty reasonable prices. Some are CG or Husqvarna, some are original Remington.
    When the Swedes converted many to 8x58R, they replaced the block with Swedish steel ones and reheat treated the recievers.
    The Swedes loved to do "sporterizing" aka bubba-smithing, so you can pick up a shooter fairly cheap that has known quality in it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Good tip. Simpson's is a good source. You know what you're getting from them.

Interesting to hear about the Swedish upgrades. It sounds like they were concerned about the safety of the rifles, too.

I don't know, never shot one, never even handled one. I read about them for years, and everybody said, "The action combines simplicity with tremendous strength." I saw many references to the extraordinary strength of the action... but all those "Guns and Ammo" type blurbs seemed to be written by people who didn't really know what they were talking about, and were just quoting each other.

Then one day I saw something by someone who sounded more authoritative. This guy considered the action weak, and said he knew of the blocks shearing catastrophically.

I dont remember where i saw that, or if the writer was drunk, but it makes sense to be cautious. I believe fewer than 30 low number Springfields have ever failed, but everybody cautions against firing them.

It really is a historically significant rifle, sold by the millions around the world. Yet they never seem to have earned much love.

Is it because of the odd ergonomics, the extreme drop of the buttstock?

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I will be going to the Baltimore Antique Arms Show next weekend. Never been to this show before. Hopefully there will be parts I can get and especially people to talk to about the two rifles.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Good tip. Simpson's is a good source. You know what you're getting from them.

Interesting to hear about the Swedish upgrades. It sounds like they were concerned about the safety of the rifles, too.

I don't know, never shot one, never even handled one. I read about them for years, and everybody said, "The action combines simplicity with tremendous strength." I saw many references to the extraordinary strength of the action... but all those "Guns and Ammo" type blurbs seemed to be written by people who didn't really know what they were talking about, and were just quoting each other.

Then one day I saw something by someone who sounded more authoritative. This guy considered the action weak, and said he knew of the blocks shearing catastrophically.

I dont remember where i saw that, or if the writer was drunk, but it makes sense to be cautious. I believe fewer than 30 low number Springfields have ever failed, but everybody cautions against firing them.

It really is a historically significant rifle, sold by the millions around the world. Yet they never seem to have earned much love.

Is it because of the odd ergonomics, the extreme drop of the buttstock?

Would the 10615 be considered a low serial number? Also thanks again for the post.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I have one in .32 Short Rimfire that's actually a smoothbore shotgun.

I cleaned and oiled the barrels of the two and found that the one with the stock and an octagonal barrel is also a smooth bore. It is pitted and looks to me to be in pretty bad condition, but for the age, maybe it isn't as bad I think...

The other one which has .22 engraved, the rifling is almost non existed. I guess the crud in it made it look better than it actually is or my hopes made me see it the I wanted it to be.

From everyone's posts and looking online I am learning more and more. Since this was my original purpose, I think it is coming along great. The worst that can happen is that I will have two nice looking conversation pieces and be more knowledgeable.

I will post pictures of the bored when I get home tonight and figure out how to do it.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    One interesting idea would be to have a liner installed in the .22 barrel. That would let you keep the original patina on the exterior, but also make it a shooter if the action is strong enough.

JoeR

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    One interesting idea would be to have a liner installed in the .22 barrel. That would let you keep the original patina on the exterior, but also make it a shooter if the action is strong enough.

JoeR

That is definitely something I will want to look into.

I am kind of reluctant about shooting it. Paraphrasing Threeband's point about if the breech were to shear it would be aimed right at your eye....

However, once I get a stock on it, I know I will be itching to fire it. Maybe use a bench rest and string.

I will want to see how it fires before and after modifying the rifling.

What about a larger caliber? Would I also have to modify the breech? Also strengthen the barrel?
    Dust off my Material Science text book... Second thought. Nope.

Thanks for your suggestion...

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I think I will document this restoration project in detail so that others may benefit and I can look back at a later date.

Do you think it would be better to continue here with the restoration phase or start a new one in the Gunsmithing Forum?
    If I started a new one, I could at least correct the Title.....

Thoughts everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom