• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Yep thanks for the link.
    The takeaway for me.

"In the eastern United States, there is a particularly high hazard region just east of the Appalachian Mountains that trends northeast‐southwest and extends from Maine to Georgia (Kelbert et al., 2019). This area of high hazard between the Atlantic Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Mountains is associated with an anomalous coast‐parallel resistor within the upper mantle (Murphy & Egbert, 2017) and is in stark contrast to areas of relatively low hazard on either side of it."

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just shared this with a friend who is in the business of modeling power grid stuff for industry and gubmints. Nerdy stuff, but fascinating.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    Funnily enough, i work on the mission that is responsible for monitoring solar weather events. People have no clue how bad it could be. If you ever want an interesting read look up the carrington event. Happened back in the 1800s and created Aurora visable all the way south of the equator, blew up telegraph stations, all sorts of crazy stuff.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Me too. I even bought a spare $500 controller board for it when the big EMP event happens. Really wish I had an old fashioned generator without all the computer crap.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    Wired up a generator box outside to back feed my panel. As long as I can fuel it we could have the essentials, well/septic & refrigerator. Although I would be working around the clock should this happen so should probably get the wife up to speed

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    You could also make your own generator and run it of alcohol. as long as you have some sort of grain, you can distill your own fuel for it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    With a 22.5kw standby generator I'm ok as long as I can get sufficient propane as necessary.
    That big bad boy is gonna plow through propane. Unless you have 1000g and it’s “full”, then you aren’t gonna make it a week with the genny running constantly. Not that one anyhow.

I respectfully suggest y’all consider a smaller genset. I also suggest, for those who haven’t already done it, pick what you MUST HAVE on your panel or in your home. Size your aux genset need against that load. Also consider only running things when you need them andonly runningbthe genset when required. Do you really need the dryer? The oven? (Maybe the stove). The a/c.? (Certainly the furnace in winter). How about a sump pump or well pump? Prolly so. Charging station? For battery powered lights and optics and radios and small devices...prolly. Remember, prolonged power outage, esp if CME or EMP type grid damage, likely zero cell or internet.

Genset selection. Honda. Period. Like a Glock, they run first time, every time. They start easy. They run quiet. Maybe even a pair of small ones that you can run separately for small load or together for larger load.

Tri fuel conversion. Gas is a PITA to maintain stability. Propane and NG otoh, are quite stable over time. A small Honda 1-3K sips fuel. MAKE DAMN SURE TO RIG AND RUN your set up...in advance of some catastrophic event. How will you get fuel (either propane or NG) from source to genset? Proper hoses and connections critical.

YMMV.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That big bad boy is gonna plow through propane. Unless you have 1000g and it’s “full”, then you aren’t gonna make it a week with the genny running constantly. Not that one anyhow.

I can get a week out of the two 100-gallon tanks I have...done it before. It's a matter of conserving energy within the house...not doing laundry as often and avoid using the oven too much. The a/c can be turned off and windows opened if necessary as well.

As I said as a qualifier...I'm good as long as I can get propane as needed which can certainly be problematic. The reason for having the generator installed is due to needing power not just for convenience but I have to sleep with a bi-pap machine and it's been stressed to me it's vital.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I can get a week out of the two 100-gallon tanks I have...done it before. It's a matter of conserving energy within the house...not doing laundry as often and avoid using the oven too much. The a/c can be turned off and windows opened if necessary as well.

As I said as a qualifier...I'm good as long as I can get propane as needed which can certainly be problematic. The reason for having the generator installed is due to needing power not just for convenience but I have to sleep with a bi-pap machine and it's been stressed to me it's vital.
    The Honda 1Kw with tri fuel adapter will run off your 5 lb BBQ tank for a very long time if you’re just using it for your CPAP/BPAP.

LARGER TANK...or more tanks, more insurance.

Unfortunately for me, my well pump draws a lot more so... Fortunately, the spring fed, year round creek is 20 meters away.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Funnily enough, i work on the mission that is responsible for monitoring solar weather events. People have no clue how bad it could be. If you ever want an interesting read look up the carrington event. Happened back in the 1800s and created Aurora visable all the way south of the equator, blew up telegraph stations, all sorts of crazy stuff.

We just missed another one about a year or two ago when a similar CME was ejected. The area of the Sun it came from was not quite turned our way when it happened.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Genset selection. Honda. Period. Like a Glock, they run first time, every time. They start easy. They run quiet. Maybe even a pair of small ones that you can run separately for small load or together for larger load.

here I am stuck with a Cummins onan, missed the Honda. Btw, remote start worked one push.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    The Honda 1Kw with tri fuel adapter will run off your 5 lb BBQ tank for a very long time if you’re just using it for your CPAP/BPAP.

LARGER TANK...or more tanks, more insurance.

Unfortunately for me, my well pump draws a lot more so... Fortunately, the spring fed, year round creek is 20 meters away.

Hey, have you thought about using that creek for power gen? I've read about it but not seriously and not for some time as I don't have a creek to use but from what I remember it is a great option if you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom